PDA

View Full Version : Aspen EFD1000

A and C
23rd Nov 2013, 00:28
This bit of kit has been around for some time now and looks like the perfect answer to my Avionic upgrade, it will do all that I want according to the publicity.

I will ask the floor to comment on any pros or cons with this bit of kit.

smitn05
25th Nov 2013, 21:13
Hi A&C

The Aspen is a great bit of equipment, and is the cheapest way of getting a full PFD in an aircraft. With the recent announcement of the multi model EASA STC available to allow installation in lots of different types without additional paperwork costs. Very feature packed and will interface with most existing aircraft avionics.

I would suggest knocking on the door of one of the Aspen dealers around the country, if they are serious dealers they will probably have a demo unit they can show you (either on the bench or in an aircraft).

The guys at Fairoaks showed me their demo rig and they are worth a call if you want to see one at work.

IRpilot2006
25th Nov 2013, 21:20
"The guys at Fairoaks showed me their demo rig"

Isn't that where you work?

wigglyamp
25th Nov 2013, 22:13
I've git an Aspen demo rig!

A and C
26th Nov 2013, 12:26
Is was looking for owner comments on the Aspen as with all new bits of kit a bit of user feedback is very useful in deciding what to buy.

I have seen all the publicity stuff put out by Aspen and seen the kit working on the rig, it seems to be the right bit of kit for me but I am still getting a handle on the interconnection issues for what it will display and the data it will put out.

It would seem that the software for DME display ( from a KN62 ) has yet to be included but the Pins for this function are designated is just one example of the issues to be addressed for my installation.

I have no doubt I will be in Wiggleyamp's hangar in the near future when I can get a real insight into the latest state of play with the Aspin.

tmmorris
26th Nov 2013, 19:37
Will that leave some spare avionics for your other aircraft? ;)

T

A and C
26th Nov 2013, 23:30
The KCS55 HSI system could end up in the PA28.