PDA

View Full Version : 787 dreamliner Qs

woodja51
20th Nov 2013, 13:25
Hi,

Two tech Qs

Firstly, what is the story with the start of the 787? I heard that the speedbrake is deployed half way during start due to excessive vibrations? Does any one flying or tech on it have a reason? Sounds like a design issue or similar?

Second, the access hatch to the electronics bay on the ones being delivered to
Jetstar, but QF owned, have some locking system that requires special tools to access on the ground.

Does anyone have any technical info on why they are doing this on the 78 , but not on the identical hatch fitted to other Boeing wide bodies..?

I brought this up with Boeing sometime ago and they basically said having it unlocked was not a problem , but now seem to have changed the tune.

I am after any patent or tech diagrams of the system if anyone as any idea where to find them ...only as I designed a fix for it several years ago and am trying to see if my ideas have been used in a general way or if it is completely different.... PM if you dont want to advertise the matter...

Fly3
20th Nov 2013, 14:27
Vibrations during engine start have caused sensors to show that the trailing edge of the inboard electric spoilers have contacted the flaps. This can cause the flight control electronics to shut down the affected spoilers and maintenance action is required to remedy the problem. Deploying the electric spoilers slightly during engine start prevents the nuisance warning.

emergency000
20th Nov 2013, 16:55
Which electronics bay are you referring to? The one just behind the nose wheel? Or the main electronics bay located in the mid-section of the aircraft, roughly between the main landing gear?

I've worked on Air India's 787s and the forward E/E bay (behind the nose wheel) access hatch locking handle is of roughly the same design and operation as that on the 767, the 737's nose E/E bay and probably several other Boeing designs. From what I've seen, neither the forward nor main electronics compartment access hatches on the 787 require any special tooling. Perhaps it's a QF thing?

woodja51
20th Nov 2013, 22:15
B777 E/E ACCESS - MSc. Research
located at you tube if you search the text above.
also in Boeing Aero magazine a few years ago.

Bumped into a Boeing pilot today who confirms the spoiler / start issue

software needs a mod ....