View Full Version : HIAL Jobs

rocky01
16th Nov 2013, 15:22
Chaps,

I have applied for the jobs with HIAL, (time for a change :rolleyes:), anyone like to comment on conditions/lifestyle in say, ...Sumburgh? I have one first hand account from a colleague who left there about three years ago, any changes in that time? Any pointers would be most welcome...

Rocky01

mad_jock
16th Nov 2013, 19:14
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/426380_471380436260008_462527822_n.jpg

rocky01
17th Nov 2013, 10:36
:) HAAA ha ha, I love it....but then again...:sad:...I had been hoping for some positive comments or advice to the wary....any chance??

Rocky01

chevvron
17th Nov 2013, 11:12
I was at Sumburgh in 1972; the seals and sheep were friendly. The SATCO, who was also airport manager, kept a mattress on the floor in the basement store room specially for ATCO Cadets to 'sleep it off'. I used it only once in my 30 days there.

Talkdownman
17th Nov 2013, 11:17
specially for ATCO Cadets to 'sleep it off'
And you believed him...

2 sheds
17th Nov 2013, 11:58
Now then, now then...

Report@Boddam
17th Nov 2013, 12:22
Its a great place to work. A small friendly team with no ego's.

Not sure where you got your info from as the units last controller joined over 10 years ago. That should show how well the unit at Sumburgh is, given the high turnover of staff at other airfields. Since then there have been several trainees who have spent a period of time at EGPB before heading on a procedural course.

The only change in the last several years is the level of traffic which is up considerably.

chevvron
17th Nov 2013, 12:52
'Now then now then'
Careful 2 Sheds, people might think you're a friend of JS.
My stint at Sumburgh was at the start of the oil boom. Only half a dozen rigs and 3 based helicopters.
ATC consisted of a permanent ATCO/Manager assisted by 2 ATCO Cadets rotating through every 4 weeks; one replacement cadet arrived every 2 weeks so it was up to the 'experienced' one who had been there 2 weeks to show them the ropes!

10 DME ARC
17th Nov 2013, 12:56
I was there 89-91 with NATS different then 3 radar positions plus tower. Still remember the first returning empty VC8's going for a low level 'tour' and beat up of the airfield on way back to EGPD! The first departing HS74's trying to turn inside the VCR off 33 for noise abatement i.e. not over flying Virkie! They used to warn the pax's about this before departure. Saw one do it as well!!
Dalsetter Wynd and the parties......Mayberry club dinning in nights......BIH club......Happy days!!
Locals are great once they get to know you we still, 20+ years later, get Xmas cards from friends up there! My wife worked in Lerwick as a nurse and still has very good friends from the time we were there.
Fourteen hour ferry ride (or as one of our returning cadets had five days!!) through some of the roughest waters around can be interesting but on a few occasions was just like a mill pond!!
We would go back tomorrow......:ok:

thefonz
17th Nov 2013, 17:23
I've also applied for one of the HIAL jobs all be it the ab initio ones. Heading to Global ATS on 25th for FEAST testing. All things being equal i'll be off to Stornoway as a stude ATCO. Dreading the aptitude tests though!! :{

mad_jock
18th Nov 2013, 11:17
I don't know about the ATC side of things but they always seemed happy enough when landing there.

Shetland though you will either love it or hate it. Most love it.

The wx up there will be a bit surprising for the first year. A good gortex jacket should be taken with you.

But the life style up there and the community if it suits you are second to none.

The ferry can be a bit of pain in the bum. There are more than a few refuse to go on it. Some love it. I did as a kid. They will put to sea though in some pretty horrible conditions.

I can remember the St Clair sitting off in Stonehaven bay for days and Northsound saying that they had run out of beer and whisky and they were going for it. Which point everyone headed down to torry battery to watch her come in. A big boat running down a huge wave and then an explosion of noise as her nose came past the break water with water frothing at the back and bow thrusters thrashing is a sight to be seen. They made it, but it took 3 days to clean the boat up.

And flights can also get interesting, but personally I loved flying up there. Taking off with a wall of water going up at the other end of the runway takes a bit of getting used to.

I would say go for it if the ATC side of things are OK.

The Fat Controller
18th Nov 2013, 14:57
10 DME, I did a fam flight and experienced the early-turn departure on the jump-seat, not for the nervous flyer I can assure you.

I am at Prestwick Centre and work the West Coast sector quite a lot and must say that the HIAL guys are very easy to work with and seem to be a pretty happy bunch.

LookingForAJob
18th Nov 2013, 16:30
Did an unofficial fam-flight up there when I was a cadet. This was back in the early 80s. Seemed to be a great bunch of people - very friendly, happy and quite content to explain the obvious to an iggerent young 'un. Thought I might like a posting there but it never came to be....mind you, it was a nice day when I visited.

rocky01
18th Nov 2013, 21:53
Thank you, thank you, everyone who took the trouble of posting, it all helps.:ok:
I'm at that stage of my career, that something different just might be what I need ...anyway, I'm waiting to see if I get a call up!

I am thinking if I do get a call, a visit would be in order to check things out for myself.

Thanks again everyone,

Rocky01

mad_jock
19th Nov 2013, 09:40
I hope you like drinking excess amounts :ok:

AyrTC
19th Nov 2013, 21:01
I don't know what ratings you have in Ireland but remember Sumburgh is tower only. I would also suggest that the days of heavy drinking ( or drinking heavy, sorry Scottish play on words ) are over. :=
Rgds
AyrTC

warsteiner888
20th Nov 2013, 21:01
Rocky01, I worked for HIAL for a couple of years not too long ago and to be fair they were pretty good when it came to pay and conditions. the job was very enjoyable and we had a pretty good bunch in Orkney. The SATCO who was there when I left was a great chap, bit of a wimp ex Royal Marine body builder but still a great chap !

I think senior management struggled at times as most were none ATC experienced but from my experience that is the norm. HIAL is a great platform to learn the ropes and decide what your future course may be after that. I personally could have stayed in Orkney for years but could not turn down a better job when it was offered.

You do feel a bit out in the sticks on the islands but you just have to adapt to a different way of life. The Orkney islanders were a very friendly bunch so I imagine the Shetlanders to be similar.

I certainly would not turn down HIAL unless you had a very good job offer from elsewhere. Best of luck

rocky01
21st Nov 2013, 23:25
...again, thanks to everyone for the replies. Thing is, I am in a SATCO job right now, but working for a ruthless (private sector) employer, slash and cut is the mantra, and I can't take it anymore. Too many good people, ATC and OPS have been let go, with no replacements, all to save money.(While so called "business advisors" on easy money, have the ear of our owners)
So, if an offer comes up elsewhere, I will give it serious consideration, hence the applications to HIAL.

Rocky01

rocky01
25th Nov 2013, 14:51
OK...here we go...called for interview...:ooh:

WhichWayIsNorth
25th Nov 2013, 17:06
Good luck:ok: Let us know how it goes....

rocky01
26th Nov 2013, 09:02
Chaps,

Has anyone got any pointers re general knowledge preparation for interview, as I come from outside CAA territory...!:uhoh:

Ok, I'll read up on HIA business etc, but could I expect anything technical, regs etc?

Thanks in advance,

Rocky01

edinv
26th Nov 2013, 21:37
I suspect what HIAL will ask depends on who is on the Board. ;) :=

If there is a 'field' member from an operational unit I would think that technical questions may well be asked. Questions relating to the AIP, (airspace, NAV aids, types of ATS service provided at the locations, including the complete list!) MATS Pt1, ATC Hrs Regs. are all fair game!

A look at HIAL's web site including links to its Annual Reports, the Scottish Govt Transport web page on its policy might also assist with background and any non- tech questions.

If it's a management post you have applied for, related questions on how to manage may well come up.

- Good Luck & provide feed-back! :)

rocky01
27th Nov 2013, 11:50
Thanks for that, sounds more like an exam than an interview. Better to be prepared though...trawling through your UK AIP now...:rolleyes:

Rocky01

rocky01
2nd Dec 2013, 08:24
Edinv,

Ok, my weekend just spent on the following,

ATSOCAS,
Class G Ops,
SRATCOH,
Mats Pt1,
Cap 744
...also downloaded the relevant IAPs and Ground Charts for KOI and LSI, my main interests...am I missing anything?

Thanks again...:ok:

Rocky01

rocky01
2nd Dec 2013, 17:43
LookingForaJob,

Thank you for the input, I will indeed look into CAP774.
However, where can I look up SERA?
Like you said, I am probably not going to need all this, but better to be prepared than disappointed....

Rocky01.

rocky01
2nd Dec 2013, 20:30
LookingForAJob...or anyone...

I have thoroughly read CAP493, Mats Part1, Chapter12, "UK FIS". Is that not the same as CAP 774? It sure looks like it to me, or am I missing something?:confused:

Still asking for direction on SERA....is that Standard European Rules of the Air...?

Rocky01

LookingForAJob
3rd Dec 2013, 02:02
I'm not operational these days, and not involved in UK/European ATC at the moment so I'm not up to speed with the details.

But the UK has had an almost unique implementation of some ICAO SARPs for years - these included (the oxymoron) providing air traffic control outside CAS and, more recently, calling all of the stuff that happens outside CAS as Flight Information Service and claiming to comply with SARPs. I think the latter changes happened after an ICAO audit which highlighted the odd UK system. The UK's approach will probably be overtaken by EU regulations, which trump UK law, which will be more aligned with the SARPs. The first EU reg that really affects operations is SERA - you can see it here (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2012:281:0001:0066:EN:PDF) - this will replace the UK's Rules of the Air Regulations. The regs came into effect on 4 December last year but States had the option to defer implementation for two years which I think the UK decided to do.

The CAA has been publishing bulletins on the EU regs etc for a while - they'll be on the website somewhere and might be good background if any of this stuff comes up during the interview.

And on the FIS thing, I think the MATS Pt 1 bit on FIS is a very cut down version of the other CAP so they will probably say the same thing but 774 will have more detail that will probably be very relevant at HIAL airports.

rocky01
3rd Dec 2013, 10:29
LookingForAJob,

Many thanks, that's very helpful. I have read through the SERA documentation, and it is as you say.:hmm:
Apart from that, I find the whole ATSOCAS theory/concept/application very...em...thought provoking! It looks like a complete mess to me, honestly. :{
However, I am taking it on board..onwards and upwards, as someone once said...
I will provide feedback asap, thanks again,:D

edinv
3rd Dec 2013, 13:31
am I missing anything?

As I said earlier it depends who is on the board - if they are non-op types the Qs will no doubt reflect this!

That said, operational type questions could include asking about Class 'F' airspace, the current situation, and what is planned.

Brian 48nav
3rd Dec 2013, 18:46
Mad Jock,

I think I'm right in saying that used to be the Suilven, that used to ply the Cal Mac' route from Ullapool to Stornoway.
I remember one sailing to Stornoway in 1981 when I felt so unwell ( maybe due to the over indulgence of wine and Guinness the night before in the Royal Hotel ) that I hoped she would sink to put me out of my misery!

Mind you the NZ sailing looks far worse.

mad_jock
3rd Dec 2013, 19:48
Aye that's the old boat.

I have been on the St Clair in similar conditions. Its not so bad going ABZ north but going south your still awake and sober by the time you clear the south of the island.

Those boys can really handle the boats though. One time the stabiliser hydraulics went tech that really was a wild ride.

Must admit a lot of the time when we flew up there you looked down at the sea and thought sod that. But then the boat crews we used to move about said that the would prefer to be on the boat than an aircraft in gales. The amount of swearing coming from the back when it was lumpy and you had to swing it round onto 33 was amusing especially when you dropped a wing over the hotel turning final. The only place they hated going to more was Vargar.

rocky01
4th Dec 2013, 07:47
Well, I just hope that the ferries have improved in the past 30 years somewhat!
Anyone would think you were hinting that this is not a wise move?:O

Rocky01....starting to worry now...:ooh:...:)

mad_jock
4th Dec 2013, 08:02
Nah the ferries are the same. Built for the conditions and skippered by blokes that know what they are doing.

But if your moving the Mrs up I would suggest that you send her by plane and you and the kids go by boat the first time. I used to love the boat as a kid.

Its a cracking place to live I presume your Irish so you will have no problems fitting in with the community.

And the St Clair was better than this new one in my opinion.

mad_jock
5th Dec 2013, 06:52
TAF EGPB 050500Z 0506/0515 24035G50KT 9999 SCT020CB
BECMG 0506/0509 35038G60KT
TEMPO 0506/0509 4000 RASN BKN006
TEMPO 0509/0515 1400 SHSN BKN006

That would have been a fun newspaper run.

Funny enough nothing mentioned in the media.

rocky01
5th Dec 2013, 08:49
Sumburgh Director,

I have sent you several PMs, did you get them?:confused:

Rocky01

Brian 48nav
5th Dec 2013, 11:32
As Mad Jock said, you either loved the island life ( I was at Stornoway '80-'82) or hated it - me, I experienced both emotions!

For anyone thinking of applying I can thoroughly recommend Peter May's trilogy set mainly in Lewis. They are novels woven around the life of a Lewis man, who returns as a detective from the mainland to assist the local coppers investigating a brutal killing.

First was 'The Black House', followed by 'The Lewis Man' and finally 'The Chess Men', the latter published this year and just out in paperback - still on offer at W H Smiths.

Aside from the police work there is lots about island life, particularly sailing from Ness to kill and collect the guga ( gannets ), crofting, the free church etc.

PS I guess I crossed the Minch two dozen times and only had the one really rough sailing - if it was really bad the ship wouldn't sail - I hoped!!

chevvron
5th Dec 2013, 13:12
How about 'The Shetland Bus', a wartime true story about the Norwegian fishermen who used their fishing boats for clandestine ops to Norway from Scalloway, Shetland. Never visited there during my month stint at Sumburgh, but I'm assured there is a tree there!!

DC10RealMan
5th Dec 2013, 14:53
The "Shetland Bus" operation was moved to Scalloway after its original location at Lunna House on the North tip of Shetland was considered to be too vulnerable to German commando raids from occupied Norway.

There is a small cemetery at Lunna House with a few Norwegian sailors graves there and it is quite poignant because it is a very isolated and lonely site and far from their homes in Norway, in fact it is far from anywhere.

I am sure that the Norwegians found Scalloway a "bustling metropolis" compared to the Lunna House site.

rocky01
6th Dec 2013, 14:47
Chaps,

Great to see the reminiscing here...!! And, thanks for the videos and advice everyone, interviews are the week after next....SD there's a PM for you,

Rocky01

mad_jock
6th Dec 2013, 15:05
Great to see the reminiscing here...!!

remember "wicker man" is a true story. You can't go for walk of a evening without seeing naked women dancing. But they only burn the English.

Oh and there is no need to drink the imported beers the Shetland Brewery does some lovely beers White Wifey is my favourite.

Valhalla Brewery | Almighty ales from Britain's most northerly island. (http://www.valhallabrewery.co.uk/web/)

23c
6th Dec 2013, 15:27
Was at Sumburgh 91 - 96, would probably still be there if HIAL had not taken over ADC. A great place to live and bring up kids. To add to 10DME's story, had a Nigel (his name actually was Nigel) try to turn inside the tower in an ATP, the only time in my career I have been under the desk as the ATP lumbered over the tower! Very best of luck with your interview.

10 DME ARC
6th Dec 2013, 22:03
23c - we must have missed each other 89-91?? I was under the desk one day with the wind 74G93kts!!

bob1013
9th Dec 2013, 23:05
Are the positions with hial filled... Interested atco😊

rocky01
10th Dec 2013, 09:21
Bob1013,

...well I certainly hope not :eek:, my interviews are next week...:ooh:
..contact HIAL HR Department at Dundee Airport if you are interested, as the closing date has passed.

Rocky01.

bob1013
10th Dec 2013, 19:46
Cheers rocky I will give them a call... Best of luck with the Interview :-)

tascats
12th Dec 2013, 16:10
Here's a few Sumburgh photos for you - there's a pic of the tower there somewhere, and the blue skies are real and not photoshopped!

Sumburgh Airport - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/crieffy/sets/72157624722467370/)

The ATC lot aren't too bad:eek::}

rocky01
12th Dec 2013, 22:48
Tascats,

Thanks for the marvelous photos...very impressive....:ok:

Rocky01

mad_jock
15th Dec 2013, 07:36
Well you certainly have the right week to go up there :D

Maybe the interview will take place under the desk.

rocky01
20th Dec 2013, 10:09
Just a quick note, as I had promised to follow on...

Contrary to expectations, the weather on arrival was indeed blustery, but I would classify it as "bracing" rather than anything more severe...perhaps there's worse to come? Anyway...

As other interviews are not completed I don't want to be too specific, but suffice to say my experience at EGPB was certainly more positive than otherwise might have been the case. The questioning was friendly, but sometimes forensic, mainly on basic ATC procedures, but otherwise I gave a good account. I also took the opportunity to visit with the tower and ops areas, everyone was very friendly, as I was lead to believe. The assistance I got on this forum was invaluable, and I wish to extend my thanks to all who contributed, humorous or otherwise (especially the PMs).

There now follows a nail biting wait period, hopefully I get an offer of a position.....:rolleyes:

Thanks again to everyone...

Rocky01.

The Many Tentacles
21st Dec 2013, 17:27
Good luck Rocky.

Enjoy the scenery if you get it, the place looks stunning from those pictures posted earlier in the thread

mad_jock
21st Dec 2013, 17:34
http://www.johansiggesson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/DSC_4913.jpg

good luck.