PDA

View Full Version : My private Arizona

piperboy84
13th Nov 2013, 20:30
With the onset of cold damp winter weather I,m thinking of ways to best protect the ceconite fabric on the Maule, I noticed a very small crack on the skin on the underside of the tail which I suspect started after some water gathered on the inside after washing. I have read where some folks put a dehumidifier in the plane but it appears this is done to protect the avionics, do any of you builders or fabric guys have an opinion pro or con about leaving a dehumidifier running in the tail when parked up for long periods ? the plane is hangared .

Lone_Ranger
13th Nov 2013, 20:44
During winter (UK) I used to leave a dehumidifier running (on a timer, 5 mins every hour to save power as i was running off 12volt batteries) when I had a ceconite covered aircraft an enclosed trailer

What are you worried about ?

piperboy84
13th Nov 2013, 20:51
Not really worried,just trying to make sure I am doing everything possible to get the full service life out of the fabric, it was recovered at the factory 5 years ago and still looks new, just want to try and keep it that way.

Lone_Ranger
13th Nov 2013, 21:11
A dehumidifier certainly wont do any harm, it will cut down on mildew formation (which itself isn't really a problem, but it looks bad) and there is some evidence that moisture itself does shorten the life of nylon/dacron fabrics, a dehumidifier will also somewhat protect metal parts from oxidation.
Ther are'nt any negative effects

piperboy84
13th Nov 2013, 21:21
Thanks LR, another question if you don't mind, I wash the plane regularly as it does a lot of unprepared field landings, I have considered using a car polish and buffer after washing to bring up the shine, any thoughts on doing this?

Arclite01
14th Nov 2013, 09:21
I'm always wary of polishes as I think any with wax or silicon in, have the potential to affect the refinishing properties if you needed to patch and respray the area (or a full respray at some point)

I just wash and leather mine with a bit of washing up liquid in the water in the bucket.

Arc

Desert185
14th Nov 2013, 19:06
The current humidity in PHX IS 26%. I wouldn't worry about using a dehumidifier.

Wash with car soap (don't use dish soap) and polish with Top Gun Ultra Finish, Aircraft Spruce PN 09-00192. Amazing stuff. You won't be disappointed. Worked so well on the airplane, I use it on everything else.

Maoraigh1
14th Nov 2013, 19:37
Most fabric covered planes in Scotland are in unheated and un-dehumidified hangars. While outside is not good, hangared aircraft don't appear to suffer. Good ventilation is an advantage - a draughty hangar.
Metal and avionics are more a worry than ceconite - and engine internal condensation which your dehumidifier won't prevent.

piperboy84
14th Nov 2013, 20:10
Maoraigh1 Good ventilation is an advantage - a draughty hangar.

Now that makes me smile, 3 years ago I knocked a 40ft by 15 ft west facing hole in the side of the building to get my plane in and out, the smiddy made doors are still leaning up against the side of the shed waiting for me to get off my lazy arse and hang them,

A draughty hangar I most definitely have !