PDA

View Full Version : Callsigns - single letter abbreviations?

archbishop
12th Nov 2013, 18:48
On several occasions recently, an ATSU has abbreviated my callsign to just one letter. Eg. "Golf Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta" became simply "Delta." Doesn't really bother me but it threw me the first time as I was expecting to hear "G-CD" so didn't immediately respond to calls when referred to as "D." Has anyone has else experienced this?

Crash one
12th Nov 2013, 18:54
Whoever the ATSU was I think it is a bad idea, which you proved by not responding. What would G-ABAD have done if on freq?

archbishop
12th Nov 2013, 19:07
Not responding caused me further issues the first time it happened - the controller had tried to contact me but I didn't recognise he was addressing me - I only realised when used my full callsign and asked me to squawk ident if I could hear him. He then told the controller of the next unit on handover that I had a radio issue, and I had to explain the issue to him in order to get the traffic service I'd requested as he thought my radio was knackered!

Maoraigh1
12th Nov 2013, 19:14
A/G started talking before pressing button hard enough? Voice activated mike not responding immediately? Not an ATCO or FISO service surely, or others would have noticed. Or your coms system????

Crash one
12th Nov 2013, 19:14
It seems all those problems were caused by the ATSU using single letter?

Edit: on the other hand the above may be possible

archbishop
12th Nov 2013, 19:20
Was a military LARS unit. Since that first incident I've become used to listening out for my one letter callsign from this atsu - just the first time it happened it really threw me as I wasn't expecting it. Purpose of my post was to establish if this is normal?

Crash one
12th Nov 2013, 19:25
Short answer to the question.. No.

OhNoCB
12th Nov 2013, 19:41
Never heard single letter before. To me it would definitely imply clipping of the first part of the message.

I have on the other hand, quite often heard the Golf (for UK reg) being dropped to leave just "Charlie Delta" in your example.

archbishop
12th Nov 2013, 19:51
Yeah I've heard (and used) last 2 letters many times... Suppose it could be a case of abbreviating to "CD" and the controller consistently clipping the start of the transmission.