PDA

View Full Version : Joining the visual circuit in your country

Timothy
9th Nov 2013, 11:48
I have been asked by the European GA Safety Team EGAST to gather together information about how different countries legislate/advise people to join the visual circuit.

I wonder if people could post links to helpful documents from their home countries that could be collated, or, even better, post the relevant text on here, so that it can be gathered together quite quickly.

Thank you!

Desert185
9th Nov 2013, 13:47
Aeronautical Information Manual, Traffic Patterns 4-3-3

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATPubs/AIM/aim.pdf

worrab
9th Nov 2013, 14:16
CAA - Standard Overhead Join poster

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ga_srgwebStandardOverheadJoinPosterJan09.pdf

sunday driver
9th Nov 2013, 15:38
With some very helpful (not regulatory) advice on pp38-41 of the December 2013 issue of Pilot
SD

Steve6443
9th Nov 2013, 19:03
The German AIP, AD 1 - 3 Flight procedures states:

2: Flight Procedures

The traffic circuits for powered airplanes, gliders and ultralight planes (if necessary also for other aeronautical sport products), depicted on the Visual Operation Charts shall be flown. Entry will generally be on the downwind leg, departure on the crosswind leg. If necessary, additional information concerning entries into / departures from the traffic circuit shall be observed.

-----

That's at least what the AIP has to say, most airfields I've flown to are relatively relaxed if you ask to join (e.g.) on base or on a long final, as long as you call them and get clearance to do so and you respect the direction of the circuit. By this I mean, if you are going to land at an airfield operating only a left hand circuit, you can usually ask and expect to get permission to join on base but not right base; however if the airfield has both right and left hand circuits for the same runway, then it is possible to join on base or right base.....

Big Pistons Forever
9th Nov 2013, 22:25
From the Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual (available free on line from the TC web site) RAC section para 4.5.2

Figure 4.6—Standard Left-hand Circuit Pattern
NOTES 1: The circuit is normally flown at 1 000 ft AAE.
2: If a right-hand circuit is required in accordance
with CAR 602.96, the opposite of this diagram
is applicable.
(a) Joining the Circuit
(i) Landing and takeoff should be accomplished on or
parallel to the runway most nearly aligned into the
wind. However, the pilot has the final authority and
responsibility for the safe operation of the aircraft
and another runway may be used if it is determined
to be necessary in the interest of safety.
(ii) Unless otherwise specified or required by the
applicable distance from cloud criteria, aircraft
should approach the traffic circuit from the upwind
side. Alternatively, once the pilot has ascertained
without any doubt that there will be no conflict with
other traffic entering the circuit or traffic established
within the circuit, the pilot may also join the circuit
on the downwind leg (Figure 4.6). When joining from
the upwind side, plan the descent to cross the runway
in level flight at 1 000 ft AAE or the published circuit
altitude. Maintain that altitude until further descent is
required for landing.
(iii) If it is necessary for an aircraft to cross the airport
before joining the circuit, it is recommended that the
crossover be accomplished at least 500 ft above the
circuit altitude.
(iv) All descents should be made on the upwind side or
well clear of the circuit

AirborneAgain
10th Nov 2013, 17:16
Sweden has no regulations concerning circuit joining (except for the usual all turns to the left etc.).

In the absence of local procedures, the recommended joining procedure is essentially the same as the one described in the UK CAA poster that worrab linked to.

If the pilot is familiar with local conditions and the amount of traffic is light it is common to join the circuit directly on crosswind or downwind

LookingForAJob
10th Nov 2013, 17:27

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ga_srgw...osterJan09.pdf

I guess that will work in New Zealand too...... (http://www.caa.govt.nz/fig/images/CT-VJA-FIGURE-1.jpg)

kharmael
11th Nov 2013, 00:14
At my home base I join how I want: Initial, Downwind, Base, etc dependent entirely from which direction I approach the field! At any other I would join to best fit in with the existing traffic.

Bonniciwah
11th Nov 2013, 04:15
Australian procedures for non-towered aerodromes has circuit info - http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/pilots/download/nta_booklet.pdf

MarcK
11th Nov 2013, 05:16
With respect to US procedures, the Airmans Information Manual is advisory only. Except for Left vs. Right hand patterns, you can do pretty much anything you can get away with. For instance, at an airport with no AWOS you can reasonably overfly the airport above pattern altitude to take a look at the landing pattern indicator and the wind sock. Then join downwind.

India Four Two
11th Nov 2013, 11:29
More NZ info here:

CAA Flight Instructor Guide ? Circuit Training: Vacating and Joining at Aerodromes (http://www.caa.govt.nz/fig/circuit-training/vacating-and-joining-at-aerodromes.html)

Overhead join "recommended".

flarepilot
12th Nov 2013, 03:12
we don't have circuits, just patterns

we always taught to join downwind by a 45 degree angle. it allows good visibility for the joining traffic. we also taught to depart the pattern on a 45 degree from the upwind

in this way departing and arriving traffic would not be head on as the 45 entry was based upon midfield and the 45 departure based on climbing out on upwind till safe altitude before turn.

Timothy
12th Nov 2013, 14:03
Many thanks to everyone, I have incorporated all the relevant information in my report back.

Jan Olieslagers
12th Nov 2013, 15:07
You are welcome - but I should be glad to see a copy ; out of sheer curiosity, and in the hopes of learning something.