PDA

View Full Version : How many instructors does it take...

knobbygb
9th May 2002, 09:38
Now the weather has finally improved and I’m actually managing to fly fairly regularly, a question has occurred to me. How many different instructors does the average student have during a PPL course? The reason I ask is that my log book currently reads something like this: total hours 12, total lessons/flights 14, different instructors 9 :eek:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m quite happy with the way things are going; I seem to be progressing at a good rate and it’s not causing me any particular problems as such (not that I’m aware of anyway), it’s just that all the advice I’ve read here in the past recommended sticking with either one instructor or certainly a smaller number that nine.

Part of the problem was caused by me - I had a six month lay-off from training for financial reasons and two or three instructors have moved on since. I now work shifts so fly on different days/times each week, but even taking this into account… nine!

I’ve not named the school in question because I don’t want to appear to be having a go at them and am happy with the service I’m getting – after all, if I had a problem with the club I could always vote with my wallet and go elsewhere, so no advice needed on that front.

There are times when I have to remember to do things different ways with different instructors, but I’m now learning to assert myself and say “xxxxx told me to do it the other way and that works for me so I’d like to do that please” and they’re usually OK with it. On the ‘up’ side, I’m getting the benefit of hearing the professional views and methods of lots of individuals of differing experience and outlook and as long as it’s not causing any major problems with regards to continuity etc, I don’t see a particular problem.

Am I doing the right thing? In particular, is the continuity issue likely to be more important when I start doing navigation and the more advanced stuff? Has anyone else been through this scenario and regretted it later?

Thanks in advance.

Evo7
9th May 2002, 09:54
FWIW, I've had three in my 25 or so hours - one for the trial lesson, a second who left for the airlines after three lessons and the third one ever since. Unless the current one also gets an airline job then that will be it...

Have you gone solo yet? If not, then I'm not sure that constantly changing is a good thing - it seems to me that you really need an instructor to have a good idea of your progress at that point - but apart from that I cannot think of a time when it would really cause problems. Apart from circuit work so many of the lessons are self-contained that I doubt that it really matters much - as long as you're happy with it.

knobbygb
9th May 2002, 10:06
Yes, I solo'd after 6 hours (with 4 instructors), hence I didn't think it was a problem. Now after a six month layoff, I've done 2 more hours in the circuit, practiced stalls and EFATO, and am ready to solo again when the weather co-operates.

I tend to be a 'self-starter' type so I know before each lesson what I'd like to do and where I need practice, so this helps when it's an instructor who is unfamiliar with where I'm up to.

Having said that, the club keep good notes on the student explaining exactly what has been covered and what the instructor thought of my performance each time.

G-SPOTs Lost
10th May 2002, 19:48
There should be no reason why a number of different inst's should make a difference. A good FTO should provide standardisation for all the instructor chappies.

I might also add that diiferent instructors can add a little "flavour"

I have been instructing for a few years now and when discussing another lesson with a fellow instructor, he/she might mention a method or reminder that I didn't know or vice versa.

There are as many methods as instructors, a little exposure towards the middle part of the course to different approaches of different instructors cant be bad can it?

If you are worried then speak to somebody a little more senior and see if you can get booked with the same chap/chapess for a muber of consecutive lessons if you are worried.

:)

tomcs
10th May 2002, 22:34
I did my PPL last summer and had 1 instructor for the first 36 hours then I had to go back to school and he doesn't work at weekends so I had 2 others!!

It definitely helped having just the one!

Tom

Wee Weasley Welshman
11th May 2002, 14:43
All things being equal continuity of instructors is desireable. You seem to have had too many for your hours to date. A cause of some concern.

djk
11th May 2002, 18:15
knobby,

I know how you must feel, I've done a total of 24 hours and have so far had lessons with 9 different instructors. In some cases it couldn't be helped when some of my early instructors have left to move on to other jobs elsewhere.

knobbygb
13th May 2002, 13:35
Thanks everyone. A few differeing views.

At least no-one has any real disaster stories about getting 30 or 40 hours into the training and then realising they'd made a huge mistake. As I said, I'm happy at the moment so will carry on jumping between instructors for the time being. Otherwise, I'll need to get a 'real' 9-5 job so I can fly the same days each week.

WWW, I realise it's 'cause for some concern' - I suppose that's why I asked the question, but since I don't appear to be having any real problems as of yet, it'd be useful if you could go into more depth. At what point am I likely to start having problems? Is there a huge pitfall waiting for me which I haven't thought about? :confused: Thanks.

There seem to be others in the same boat (Dkosky, at least - must be more) - am I the only one worried about this? Should I just get on with it? If the weather wasn't so crap I'd have less time to sit around worrying :p