PDA

View Full Version : Australian Recognition by EASA

Degrees
30th Oct 2013, 03:03
I'm a young Australian avionics AME who has ambitions of living and working in the financially unstable utopia known as Europe at some point in my life. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Some of the options I've considered are:

Working as an Avionics AME
Getting myself an unrated B2
Buying myself a course on B737, A320, A330 etc.

I've been doing some research and asking my seniors just how feasible that actually is. I've heard a variety of conflicting opinions. Some have suggested EASA will recognise my Australian Cert 4. Some have suggested EASA will recognise a B2. Some have suggested you must go via the UK or Switzerland.
There has been very little consistency.

I called EASA myself and was told that my entire qualification meant nothing and that I would have to start from being an apprentice again. I doubt this very much.

Can anyone here provide some credible insight?

spannersatcx
30th Oct 2013, 09:32
At this time the EASA person you spoke to is correct. As for the future who knows!

Long Bay Mauler
8th Nov 2013, 07:21
EASA and CASA both have their heads up their proverbial a7$es.

Considering all CASA approved training modules are now virtually word for word of the EASA modules, EASA is kidding itself that it has a more robust training system than CASA. And vice versa to a degree. The modules are 98% the same now, and there should be a recognition process to allow engineers and technicians to work globally.

If you are going to Europe, and spending time retraining in aviation maintenance, do yourself a favour. Spend your precious money wisely and train yourself on a skill set that is transferable, and not treated with such disdain by airlines and national regulators alike.

TinyTim2
23rd Nov 2013, 08:05
As said earlier , EASA will not accept CASA modules , licenses or types . I know of several engineers who have got the basic license then been told that their types and experience is not acceptable ! It has cost them a great deal of stress and even more money !

emergency000
23rd Nov 2013, 08:52
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't interoperability between EASA and CASA pretty much the only reason for going to Part 66?

edsbar
23rd Nov 2013, 09:29
well that is the horses#*t they spun us but in reality we all know it will never happen. Now they are doing the same with Part 61 ...... :ugh: