PDA

View Full Version : Pointing the blame for Bankstown mid air

Ratmando
9th May 2002, 05:00
To those who are pointing the finger of blame!
If the TB9 was doing touch & go's (which it was) it would most likely be on 29L as that is the circuit runway.
The piper warrior had been clearer for 29C.
The reason everybody saw the TB9 swerve to the right is that no one would be looking before the bang!!! It would be just another couple of planes going overhead doing a landing at Australia's busiest airport, but it wasn't, these two hit.
Maintaining control of the TB9 after the collision and getting it back on to the ground as quick as possible would mean the pilot having to swerve to the right to line back up on 29L . That’s is the swerve that every one saw!!! Not the evasive manover one to left made a few seconds earlier to avoid the left drifting piper warrior.
In my eyes, the pilot of the TB9 has shown amazing skills and ability by getting the aircraft on to the ground safely and not adding to the tragic death toll.
After the collision, but before landing the pilot demonstrated the high level of training and professionalism by getting in a mayday call and having someone check the under carriage before landing the aircraft.
I can understand that this is a sad and tragic event for the friends and family of the people who died, but for those who wish to point the finger of blame at the instructor and student who lived, think of what is going through their mind at the moment.

The Rat

Henry Kater
9th May 2002, 07:59
"Rat",

I apologise for my post, which upon reflection was both ambiguous and lacking tact - "pointing blame" as you say is not very respectful to the deceased. I will not do so again.

I say disrespectful, because I was actually pointing the blame at the warrior, not the tobago, which I have no right to do, since:

1. I was not there.
2. I should keep my thoughts about accidents to myself in future.

I am sorry that I have offended you or any body else.

Regards

HK