PDA

View Full Version : FI renewal

S-Works
27th Oct 2013, 19:03
Maybe a daft question.....

Does am FI need to go to an ATO that is approved to provide initial FI courses in order to renew an FI rating or can it be any ATO with an FIE on staff?

Curtis E Carr
27th Oct 2013, 20:31
From Annex 1 to Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178.2011:

FCL.940.FI FI — Revalidation and renewal

(a) [...]

(b) [...]

(c) Renewal. If the FI certificate has lapsed, the applicant shall, within a period of 12 months before renewal:

(1) attend an instructor refresher seminar;

(2) pass an assessment of competence in accordance with FCL.935.

No mention of the FIE having anything to do with the ATO conducting the approved refresher seminar.

portsharbourflyer
27th Oct 2013, 21:00
Bose, can you clarify that I have interpreted you question correctly; I assume you know either a CPL Examiner or an IRE or an TRE with an FIE, who is associated to a School which conducts either or all CPL/IR/type rating training but not FI training, so can they still exercise the FIE privilege?

When you refer to FCL935 is says see subpart 0 (or have I misinterpreted something in 804), so it certainly isn't clear from CAP 804, so I couldn't unravel the answer from CAP 804.

S-Works
27th Oct 2013, 21:05
Thanks, I read that bit which was what prompted the question.

So basically as long a s they have met he revalidation requirements and do the test with an FIE there is no ATO involvement?

Whopity
27th Oct 2013, 21:53
You can revalidate or renew with a FIE directly. Part FCL states that all requirements must have been completed prior to the test but the CAA has agreed that Test or Seminar may be in any order. No ATO involved apart from the Seminar.

portsharbourflyer
28th Oct 2013, 01:48
Whopity,

I thought under EASA all examiners had to have an associated or backing ATO? So while the candidate does not require any sign off from the ATO to do the FI renewal test, are the examiners privileges still valid if his/her associated ATO is not involved in the relevant training.

For example under JAA as I understood you could be a completely independent free lance examiner working for any schools. With EASA I thought you had to have a backing ATO as an examiner.

So while someone may be an FI(E) and an IRE, but only currently associated to an school conducting IR training can they still conduct FI revalidation or renewal tests?

Under the same logic does this mean a PPL(A) examiner who is also an IRE, but is only currently associated to a school conducted PPL training can still conduct IR revalidations? (note an IR renewal would need a completion of training certificate so an ATO conducting IR training would need to be involved).

By the way I accept you are all vastly more experienced than me in these matters but I couldn't easily decipher the answer from CAP 804.

Whopity
28th Oct 2013, 09:57
Examiner privileges are not associated with an ATO in any way. They may be nominated by an ATO for initial tests as stated, but they are totally independent. Even FIC instructors are no longer authorised to a specific ATO and may now instruct at any ATO with an appropriate approval.

It is the schools who are being tied in knots, not the examiners, they are just being priced out of business by certain authorities.

BillieBob
28th Oct 2013, 13:26
Furthermore, there is no requirement for examiners to be designated by the competent authority for any assessment of competence, only for skill tests. The implication in Standards Document 10 that an FIE will be designated for the initial AoC is not supported by the Regulation.