PDA

View Full Version : Overwing Briefing

krishna chettri
23rd Oct 2013, 08:20
Dear All,

Require your feedback on the Overwing Briefing Content.

Is it mandatory while briefing an Overwing Passenger to ask him/her to check the external conditions outside before opening the Overwing Exit in an emergency?

Of course we do tell the passenger about the operation/ placard on the seat back , on the hatch itself and safety information card. Also we do make sure that the passenger is Able Bodied/above 15years of age/understands oral or visual commands/ willingness to help sought and no baggages allowed at the over wing area.

Thanks and appreciate your feedback.

macuser
23rd Oct 2013, 22:24
Saw it first hand on a BE flight. A pax with largeish bag under seat was moved away. Another pax was asked to sit next to over wing exit and was quite plainly told only to activate in an emergency if it was clearly safe to do so. Full marks to the cabin crew member.

bubblyguy
25th Oct 2013, 00:02
Due to crew dispensation on my airlines 737 aircraft we have to provide a briefing to each passenger for these "self-help" overwing exits.

The briefing confirms they are willing to assist, checking outside conditions, operation and direction off the wing. We then ask again if they are comfortable with this and whether there are any questions. All passengers are required to look at this information printed on the safety card at this time.

Hope this information helps.

krishna chettri
29th Oct 2013, 03:51
Thank you very much. I only wanted to confirm whether checking external condition is a part of the briefing. Thanks a lot. As per your feedback it is.

Dixie
29th Oct 2013, 22:56
when I train flight attendants on the overwing briefing part of the briefing is to tell the passenger "if you see water, smoke, fire or debris do not open the exit"

givemewings
30th Oct 2013, 16:17
Have operated several types with overwing exits, on all it was mandatory (and probably the most important part) of the briefing was when NOT to open the exit...

It was also printed on the card. Briefing pretty much as Bubblyguy says.

Top Bunk Tester
12th Jun 2014, 13:32
Although I always have an exit row seat when not turning left I can honestly say that I have never recieved a brief re the doors on either Virgin or BA, this has never personally bothered me being an ex FE but it has crossed my mind with other pax that do not have the same background. +

Flyinggym
19th Jun 2014, 09:45
We have no predetermined text for briefing the overwings on my airline, however I always include "if it is safe to do so" in my briefings.

dazdaz1
19th Jun 2014, 14:47
I think it's all 'presence' of mind. Admittedly I fly pax, not a pilot. Just musing one thing, I always book a wing exit window seats 119 Do you think I'm stupid enough to blow the over wing exit escape when barbecue flames are issuing from the engine.

I suggest maybe some pax have a bit of savvy.