PDA

View Full Version : GAR Forms at Ports of Entry?

Contacttower
22nd Oct 2013, 12:24
I am somewhat confused about this, I was always under the impression that at airfields that are designated ports of entry into the UK a form is not an official requirement.

Yet I am reading anecdotal evidence that at some airfields such as Biggin Hill, during normal opening hours immigration officials are expressing surprise at pilots not submitting GAR forms in advance of arrival from outside the UK.

My own experience of this is that often at airfields that are ports of entry but that the GA parking is away from the passenger terminal it is 'standard practice' to send the handling agent/GA reception a GAR form so that they can liaise with immigration and prepare them for your arrival so that if they so desire they can meet with you. I did not think this was an official requirement.

Can people who perhaps fly into and out of ports of entry more regularly than me clarify what the situation on this is?

Mike Cross
22nd Oct 2013, 12:39
Do keep up!

GAR Notice Periods (http://www.aopa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=761:gar-notice-periods&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=247)
FLYER Forums ? View topic - No escaping GAR (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85736)

jollyrog
22nd Oct 2013, 12:55
Biggin Hill isn't designated for Immigration, despite the full time attendance of Immigration Officers. It's a nonsense.

Contacttower
22nd Oct 2013, 13:26
Thanks Mike. I did read the original article from AOPA about this but never heard the end of it or realised how far situation had developed.

Mike Cross
13th Nov 2013, 23:40
Further developments "THEY" are listening. See here (http://www.aopa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=761:gar-notice-periods&catid=1:latest-news) for information.

jxk
14th Nov 2013, 05:13
Does this mean that if you wanted to reduce the notice-time from the Channel Islands, you could stop off at Cherbourg and then give 4 hours notice instead of 12? Or does France have a similar requirement from the Channel Islands?

I can't understand why they have different times from different countries when the minimum is 4 hours from the EU - Grrrrrrrrrr! What do the BA have to do differently in these instances!

mad_jock
14th Nov 2013, 08:44
you have it right a touch and go in france means you only need to give 4 hours instead of 12.

IRpilot2006
14th Nov 2013, 09:29
Where in France can you do a touch and go and pay the landing fee later by telephone?

Piper.Classique
14th Nov 2013, 12:32
Anywhere that charges landing fees will invoice by post, then you pay by cheque, but it would need to be on a french account. Mostly I use places that don't charge.......

hoodie
14th Nov 2013, 13:44
But if you are departing La France, you need legally to do that via a Customs field - and name me one of those that doesn't charge!

wsmempson
14th Nov 2013, 14:58
I've been in and out of Beauvais 6 or seven times over the last three years and have never yet been charged....:}

patowalker
14th Nov 2013, 16:33
You can only do a touch and go for Customs purposes by prior arrangement with the aerodrome and Customs.

The short-lived Brighton City Airways service from Shoreham to Pontoise reportedly did it at L2K.