PDA

View Full Version : fate at times hits hard

WestWind1950
22nd Oct 2013, 08:34
I havn't posted here in Pprune for ages, but now I have a good reason......Last March I went on a "fun" flight with a friend. For those you who gon't know me, I have been flying since 1984, until a year ago I also had an instrutors certificate. Last March things went wrong, as you can tell by this artclrkr and picture I posted here:......http://dorrie-westyblogspot.de/

The pilot (very experinced) died, They rescued me but I am still suffering feom my injuries (I can't walk)......spending my days in a care home :confused:

WestWind1950
22nd Oct 2013, 09:23
no reason why the links azem't working properly :ugh:

mad_jock
22nd Oct 2013, 09:42
Westie poor you.

The link doesn't work for me either.

But if we do a search for dorrie westy a blog comes up with the pic.

You won't be able to post the blog link on here.

JDA2012
22nd Oct 2013, 09:45
Hello - I am afraid as a fairly new member I do not know you, but it is very good to see that you survived such a horrific accident; it must have been awful for you. I hope that you can fully recover from your injuries someday soon.

This site censors links to the site hosting your blog but as mentioned a search shows your post and picture :eek:

A link to your main website will work here - perhaps you could put a link to your blog on there?

WestWind1950
22nd Oct 2013, 10:51
Mad_Jock...pity....that spoils all the fun! :sad:

dublinpilot
22nd Oct 2013, 11:21
Such a terrible thing to happen.

I hope that you make a speedy (at least as speedy as can be given how long you've already been suffering), and full recovery.

OpenCirrus619
22nd Oct 2013, 11:23
The picture....

All the best for your recovery / return to the air.

http://www.main-netz.de/storage/pic/mebilderserien/community/fotogalerien/aktuelles/lokales/2013/02032013_grossostheim/2073535_1_130302d_000a_1024.jpg?version=1362246129

OC619

Pace
22nd Oct 2013, 11:56
I am really sorry to hear what happened especially your friend being killed in the accident.
Having now lost seven friends in aviation accidents I do understand a bit where you are coming from with this post!
Your Injuries must make you question a lot so these postings are part of the healing process!
At the end the phrase a man has to do what a man has to do springs to mind !
Do what you love to do regardless

All the best

Pace

WestWind1950
22nd Oct 2013, 12:47
thanks Pace....I have a lot of flying buddies who have taken the time to visit me. My own recall of the acciden (before, during and afterwards) is 0ZERO! I have NO recollection at all. I once visited Scotland and met a few Ppruners live!, including mad_jock. Tht was soooooooo cool!

nonsense
22nd Oct 2013, 15:13
The url given is missing one "dot", after westy.

mad_jock
22nd Oct 2013, 16:46
It must be especially hard on westie if she is in a German hospital.

I have lost count on the number of emergency kebab or pizza runs I have done for people who have been in one of these fine medical establishments.

Raspberry or mint tea and black bread and pickled fish diet doesn't make for a happy ex-pat.

Steve6443
22nd Oct 2013, 18:52
Good luck on your recovery, if you're a fan of british comedy shows and want to borrow some to watch on your laptop, let me now - I know how dry german TV can be ;-)

fireflybob
22nd Oct 2013, 19:38
WestWind 1950, my good wishes to you for a full and speedy recovery.

Next to my father one of my biggest mentors in flying was Frank Kirk who was the CFI at Tollerton (and also a full time pilot for Rolls Royce) where I did much of my early flying from about 1964 onwards.

Frank walked with a considerable limp. He'd had an engine failure after take off (in a Kittyhawk I think) and unfortunately clobbered a pill box on his fall to earth. They told him he would never walk again. Whilst convalescing he became an Air Traffic Controller at Hucknall for about a year (his ATC liaison was excellent!). This happened before I even got to know him.

Not only did he go on to walk again, he got all his flying qualifications back and gave me my first flight in a jet aircraft from Hucknall in 1969 after RR had taken delivery of a new HS 125. It was a training flight and apart from take off and landing and a couple of stalls when I was strapped in down the back I stood between the seats for the whole of the flight.

Whenever I have been faced with challenges in my flying career I always think of him. He was a superb pilot and an excellent instructor - I am always thankful for what he taught me in my formative days of flying.

I guess the moral of the story is never give up - as I am sure you will not.

India Four Two
23rd Oct 2013, 03:19
Westy,

Sorry to hear about your horrific accident. My best wishes for your recovery.

Concerning your inability to post your link, you have encountered one of the puerile features of PPRuNe. For some obscure reason, links to a particular blog site are not allowed.

However, tinyurl.com comes to the rescue, by encoding the dreaded name:

Westy's World: When fate almost kills you (http://tinyurl.com/mzlo6zn)

BEagle
23rd Oct 2013, 07:50
Hi Westy! So sorry to hear about that appalling accident. Best wishes for a complete recovery.

I don't hear much from a certain ex-PPRuNer with a penchant for a headset of a certain colour, but I'm sure she'd wish you all the best too!

S-Works
23rd Oct 2013, 07:56
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Keep your chin up!!