PDA

View Full Version : Exporting experimental Lancair from Europe to Canada

star57
21st Oct 2013, 21:40
Hello fellow aviators, is it possible to export a Lancair from Holland and fly it to Canada or USA, EASA registration, N or C, any ideas other than crating it.
Another option is to probably just walk away!
Thank you

Mark 1
21st Oct 2013, 21:50
Are you talking about the logistics of shipping/ferrying or the problems with airworthiness approval?

Shipping in a container is very straightforward, and ferrying is also possible, but not ideal in winter time.

If it has previously been registered in the US, then getting it reinstated should be OK. If not, then it could be quite problematic to get it approved.
I understand that it must have logged at least 100 hours if being imported to Canada as a homebuilt.

It's quite unusual for exports to go back to the US as the local market is generally a better option.

star57
21st Oct 2013, 22:16
The Aircraft would be coming to Canada, the container option is not that straight forward as the horizontal stab is almost 14 feet wide and it being experimental, cant fly IFR in Europe.
It becomes a challenging proposition, the hours are OK well beyond what Transport Canada requires.

I'm trying to find out if there is a special export permit waver of something of similar value.

RatherBeFlying
23rd Oct 2013, 00:21
I've not put a Lancair together, but I'm sure there is a way to remove one or both tailplane halves.

As for airworthiness, you need to get in touch with these folks:
Recreational Aircraft - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/maintenance-aarpe-recreational-menu-2753.htm)

Definitely the Atlantic is unappealing this time of year, but I would give consideration to flying across Russia and crossing to Alaska next spring. Likely you will need the time to make the arrangements. Do not forget to register with eAPIS. IFR will likely not be required.