PDA

View Full Version : Medical and licencing question EASA changes

colmana
21st Oct 2013, 12:09
My UK PPL A allows me the privileges of an EASA LAPL until conversion to EASA or expiry of the CAA extension in 2015. However I still remain a little unclear as to the validity of my medical.

It’s a class two and expires in November of this year, with regard to the privileges of the UKPPL or if I had an EASA PPL , the medical also states that it is valid until November 2014 for LAPL privileges.

The way I am reading it is that the extension gives me LAPL privileges currently and that my medical meets the LAPL privileges as it remains valid for that use until November 2014, to add a twist I am flying an Annexe 2 aircraft on a permit to fly and a UK PPL or LAPL allows me to do this, If I continue to fly on the current medical can I fall back on the LAPL privileges? and remain legal.

I am on the fence with converting my licence to an EASA PPL or LAPL as the costs are quite high and other EASA legislation will cost me thousands in compliance and quite frankly I could do without spending £175+ on an unnecessary medical , I am not bashing the CAA who I know are having to plod through their own issues , but this euro babble has created red tape and unnecessary costs without any clear benefit that I can see.

Your thoughts are welcome ..I have put the question to the CAA and this was their response:

Thank you for your email regarding exercising LAPL privileges on your existing UK PPL licence. I confirm you can continue to use this licence up to the deadline date flying LAPL privileges after April 2014. This is subject to medical, ratings and language proficiency being valid. I have attached a link to our statement detailing this. Pilots reminded of changes to National licences due in 2014 | CAA Newsroom | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&mode=detail&nid=2286)

cotterpot
21st Oct 2013, 14:09
No you can't ever use an EASA LAPL medical to validate a UK PPL.

http://www.higherplane.co.uk/combos.html

colmana
21st Oct 2013, 14:19
Thanks for that the web link makes it pretty clear that you can't validate a UK PPL with an LAPL medical, however my medical is a class two valid for 12 months
as I am over 50 but valid for 24 months for LAPL privileges. I guess in reality after 12 months it becomes an LAPL medical.

I think I am more inclined to go down the NPPL route and use their medical declaration and just convert my licence..to an NPPL SSEA.

On that basis am I adding a licence or trading it ? I am may at some future point(albeit unlikely as I am chuffed with permit aircraft) wish to convert my PPL to an EASA PPL. And ..and .... If I did convert an LAPL or EASA PPL can I meet the biennial hours requirements flying an annex 2 aeroplane...

cotterpot
21st Oct 2013, 19:09
Rather than move to an NPPL why not go for the LAPL which allows you to fly EASA or Annex 2 aircraft both of which count for 'hours' ? There is no biennial requirement for LAPL - you just need to have 12 hours flying PLUS one (signed) in logbook with an instructor (13 in total) in the previous 24 months. It is a rolling validity period. No requirement currently for any further signatures on rating page.

modelman
21st Oct 2013, 19:59
After 2 years lapse of my Uk PPL I renewed last year to a EASA PPL but have just converted to EASA LAPL for about £70, half the cost of a medical because
Like you I am over 50 and LAPL MED will last me 2 years and you can also spread your 12 hours for your rating over 24 months instead of the last 12 if you need to. Also your own GP can do your meds if he has signed up to CAA which should be cheaper than an AME.
Unless you are on a career path, the LAPL is just the job for the leisure flyer,with less restrictions than NPPL, I keep my night qual for instance. Not sure if you can get IMC or IR(R) with LAPL sure someone here will answer that.

BEagle
21st Oct 2013, 20:52
Not sure if you can get IMC or IR(R) with LAPL sure someone here will answer that.

No, you cannot.