PDA

View Full Version : JAA Pilot training in non-JAA approved flight training school

Emkay
20th Oct 2013, 18:23
I am looking obtain flight training for a PPL within a space of about two months. I am thinking of going to Seattle or Los Angeles specifically since I have family there. As far as I am aware, there are no JAA approved flight schools in these areas.

What is the recommended procedure for going about this? I would like to get at the majority of the flying/training done in the US as it doubles as a holiday and the climate tends to be much better.

Is it a good idea to do most of your hours in the US and take the JAA test in Europe?

Also, can someone please confirm if flying hours logged in the USA are as valid as those logged in Europe?

md 600 driver
20th Oct 2013, 18:49
i take you mean EASA not JAA

chrisbl
20th Oct 2013, 19:46
Get the FAA PPL and then convert to an EASA one in the UK

Whopity
20th Oct 2013, 21:57
You now need 100 hours before you can convert an ICAO licence, and after 7th April 2014 you will not be able to use a FAA licence to fly a EASA aircraft without a validation, for which you will get just once for a 12 months period.

md 600 driver
21st Oct 2013, 06:54
Whopity
Will you be able to fly a n reg on a n reg licence after that date ?

Whopity
21st Oct 2013, 07:46
Will you be able to fly a n reg on a n reg licence after that date ?Yes, but only for another year then you will need a EASA licence if you are resident in Europe. The date is now 8 April 2015.

Emkay
21st Oct 2013, 09:06
How about if I don't get a license or do the test there, but merely do the flight training and come back and do all the exams here? Is that a bad idea?

Prop swinger
21st Oct 2013, 09:17
Training for an EASA licence can only take place at an EASA approved training organisation with EASA qualified instructors. You can do as much flying as you like but none of it will count towards a Euro licence unless it's at an EASA ATO.

Emkay
21st Oct 2013, 09:56
Oh ok.. thanks. So I guess any flying done in the USA will be redundant..

Is there any alternative. I really want to get a PPL within the next three months or so. I am not sure this is possible in UK weather.

I can still get a EASA license from any country within the EU right?

If yes, does anyone have recommendations for the country (with good winter weather, hospitality etc)

mad_jock
21st Oct 2013, 10:03
No its not redundant it still counts towards total time.

You can go and get a FAA PPL and do hour building out there.

You can start the EASA CPL course with any ICAO PPL license you don't need to convert it.

You can also start the distance learning theory with the FAA PPL.

The things you will have to do with an EASA ATO are. MEP,CPL,IR and theory course be it distance learning or full time.

And there are EASA schools operating in the US in mainly Florida. They all have issues though. You need to search through the forums to find out what they are.

Emkay
21st Oct 2013, 10:20
OK now I'm really confused! There seems to be a lot of conflicting information.

My only intention for conducting flight training is to end up with a european valid PPL. I don't have an intention of continuing to CPL any time soon.

To clarify my questions:

1. Do hours built in the US fully count towards the 45 needed for an EASA PPL?

2. If I understand correctly, in order to get a valid EASA license, I need to take the practical test in Europe, get a Class 2 EASA Medical and do the EASA ground exams. Is this correct? (w/ alternative being going to EASA approved school in Florida/Orlando)

3. How different is the FAA syllabus compared to EASA? Will I need to get a significant amount of re-orientation lessons back here after having done most of my training in the US?

My plan is to

- Get an EASA Class 2 Medical in the UK
- Get the ground exams done in the UK
- Head off to the USA
- Get the FAA Class 3 Medical in the USA
- Aquire the 42 hours training in the USA
- Come back to the UK and do 3 hours orientation training
- Take my practical test in the UK

Is this a particular bad plan?

BEagle
21st Oct 2013, 10:37
To obtain an EASA Part-FCL PPL(A), you need to do your training at an EASA-approved ATO. Which will have an approval to conduct a specific PPL(A) course.

The course now requires 100 hrs of ground training and each exam requires the ATO to sign you off as ready to take the exam. So it's no longer a question of learning the answers, taking the exams at a UK ATO and then disappearing to do your flight training in the USA.

mad_jock
21st Oct 2013, 10:54
My plan is to

- Get an EASA Class 2 Medical in the UK
- Get the ground exams done in the UK
- Head off to the USA
- Get the FAA Class 3 Medical in the USA
- Aquire the 42 hours training in the USA
- Come back to the UK and do 3 hours orientation training
- Take my practical test in the UK

Is this a particular bad plan?

Impossible plan.

There are schools in the US that you can do the whole lot. But you will have to jump through some hoops to get visa's and security clearances.

And it is possible to do a PPL in 3 weeks in the UK my record up in Inverness was two weeks with a guy that turned up with all his ground exams completed and RT test already done. At about this time of year.

And looking at todays wx its 5 knots of wind down the runway with over 10k of viz which will more than likey be 30-40km wit a few clouds about. Which is perfect teaching wx.

Emkay
21st Oct 2013, 11:23
Inverness sounds like a great prospect, thanks :)

Are you still an FI at inverness airport?

mad_jock
21st Oct 2013, 11:38
Nope moved on and now fly the line as a regional turboprop line training Captain.

I know most of the guys, but have no real knowledge about the school any more.

The area though is about as good as it gets for instructing.

There is a local microclimate due to the hills to the west which keeps the flyable days up.
The training area is 5 mins away from the circuit.
There are some decent cross countries to go on which are interesting especially if your not local.
The airport has a crossing short runway so there is options if the wind is up from the north or south. And also let you do xwind training if you require it.

Only down side I would say is that there isn't a lot of controlled airspace to be had so if your going back to the south you will have to understand you would be advised to have some additional training from a local instructor so you don't get into trouble.

BillieBob
21st Oct 2013, 14:02
1. Do hours built in the US fully count towards the 45 needed for an EASA PPL?If you mean hours built other than on an approved EASA PPL course - No. You must have completed 45 hours of flight instruction (including supervised solo) at an EASA ATO.2. If I understand correctly, in order to get a valid EASA license, I need to take the practical test in Europe, get a Class 2 EASA Medical and do the EASA ground exams.Partly. You need a Class 2 medical and you need to pass the theoretical knowledge examinations. However, you have to complete an approved course, which may be done outside the EU and the skill test does not have to be taken in EU airspace. As BEagle pointed out, the approved course will include a mandatory 100 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction. 3. How different is the FAA syllabus compared to EASA?Some, but not much.Will I need to get a significant amount of re-orientation lessons back here after having done most of my training in the US?If you have done an EASA approved course in the US, not much. If all of your training has been for an FAA PPL, rather more.

Your plan is not just bad, it's entirely impractical (apart from point 1.) - you must complete an EASA approved course, as part of which you must complete the required theoretical knowledge instruction and the training provider must recommend you for the exams.

JDA2012
21st Oct 2013, 14:26
And it is possible to do a PPL in 3 weeks in the UK my record up in Inverness was two weeks with a guy that turned up with all his ground exams completed and RT test already done. At about this time of year. To second that sentiment - I did mine in March at Blackpool in four weeks inc. exams and with only 20 days actually flying (three weeks would have been possible but for weather):

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/511455-28-day-20-flying-45h50m-ppl-completed-ant-blackpool.html

Certainly no need to go all the way to the states - I do agree it's probably warmer though ;)