PDA

View Full Version : Importing to US

robertsonjb
18th Oct 2013, 18:40
My husband and I are thinking about buying our own aircraft (first time buyers), something like a Cessna 150-180 or Piper Cherokee 140-160. As part of our research we need to figure out what it would take or cost to possibly bring it to the States - my husband is military and about 60% of his postings are outside Canada. We're expecting to get posted to the States in the next 1-2 years.

Does anyone know of the processes and/or costs associated with importing a Canadian aircraft to the US? C of A, annual inspection (?), registration, deregistration from Canada .... I'm sure there's plenty I'm missing.

I'm sure it wouldn't break the bank, but money doesn't grow on trees and timing is definitely "of the essence" since we only get about 3 months notice before moving.

AdamFrisch
18th Oct 2013, 18:56
I don't think it's excessive, however, I do have a few ideas that might save you some money.

If you're getting deployed to the US, then just buy a N-reg when you get there and keep it on the US registry. Not only is this cheaper, but it will save you import/export costs. You can get your Canadian license validated and get a FAA one issued, no need for any conversion.

Or.

Buy a C-reg, fly it across the border (don't forget to have a visa!) and keep flying it in the US on the Canadian registry. It's easy enough to have it annualed and serviced there as there's reciprocity between FAA and Transport of Canada.

India Four Two
19th Oct 2013, 08:57
Adam,

Just a small addition to your post. If the OP is a Canadian, she doesn't need a visa.

Ebbie 2003
22nd Oct 2013, 01:29
You can fly US reg airplanes anywhere so maybe you'll find your ideal airplane in the US.

Planes tend to be cheaper in the US than in Canada from my own searches for my first airplane a couple of years back - think some hangover from the pre C$/US$ par situation.

It would certainly mean no issues with "importing " it to the US.

No issues with exporting either - just fly it to where you're posted in the US.

The only 'catch' is that if you're not a US citizen you can't register the airplane in your name - you use a not citizen trust (a hint use one of the trust companies in the UK they are less than a quarter of the best price I got quoted from US companies).

You will also have the benefit of a US airplane in the US and if you decide to upgrade you'll have no problem selling.

That's how I did it with my PA28 - very simple with one other minor wrinkle - there is a little sticker you need to get each year to fly in to the US (less than $30) it makes thing easier when you enter the US - I needed one when I flew my plane down here from New Jersey - I stopped in Puerto Rico so need one as it is US - all went very smoothly except they confiscated my last apple (bought in Florida!)

If you are going to buy a low cost plane (your selection suggests in the US$17,000 - US$27,000 range) getting export CofA, registering in different countries, import duties and sales tax (yep, they make you pay that and they compound!) will be very expensive - if it's just "visiting" Canada you should not get those costs and of course none when it "goes back to the US".

This latter point was a surprise to me when I bought my plane down here - I was expecting duties and VAT of around US$35,000 on mine but not a cent paid - seems the airport here is in effect a giant "bond" so unless I taxi it out of the airport (or register it here) it remains in the bond and so no duties and taxes are due (I have always mused about an off airport landing!).