PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream nutcracker system

gaunty
12th Oct 2013, 14:18
Gulfstream have been using this system for yonks and works much the same way as the WOW system on other biz jets.

i have been unable to find out exactly why they called it the nutcracker.

Buehler, anyone ???

Tinstaafl
12th Oct 2013, 17:20
A long time ago, in a developmental & testing facility far, far away...

An engineer was sitting on a mechanic's stool (you know, those little stools on wheels), legs akimbo (as one tends to do on those stools), while closely observing the operation of said switch in a test rig. As he lent back to make a note on the test chart, Newton's law caused his stool to roll much closer to the switch just as it happened to be closing.

The rest is history.

FrankR
12th Oct 2013, 17:30
Good story Tinstaafl, I wonder how far up the reality scale that would score...

It was an obvious choice, since these switches look like an old fashioned nut cracker.

In other news, Gulfstream renamed this the WOW system on the GV, G450/550, and G650 with a WOW switch installed on each gear.

FR

gaunty
14th Oct 2013, 13:44
G'day tinny,

How're they hanging, so to speak :cool:

You may well be correct:oh:

Tony Mabelis
14th Oct 2013, 19:53
When you trip over your "bootstrap", its quite likely to end up as a "nutcracker".
Meanwhile the rest of the aviation industry has been using squat switches,
since before Gulfstreams were invented.
Tony

davidjh
14th Oct 2013, 22:14
When I did my GIV type rating nearly 8 years ago, the ground school instructor explained that it was called a nutcracker because it originally looked like one of those thingy's that you use to crack nuts open with! :rolleyes:

Tinstaafl
15th Oct 2013, 03:12
Hiya Gaunty!

Well, so far I've managed to avoid being involved in the naming of aircraft parts so they're hanging just fine!

You may like this: The owner of one of the companies I fly for wants to get a high performance turboprop as a step up from his C414 he flies. At first it was a Cheyenne 4, but now he's decided a C441 is what he wants. I told him to get a good pre-buy and watch out for SIDs (he hadn't heard of SIDs. Oops.). Whaddya' think?

gaunty
16th Oct 2013, 13:02
G'day Tinny me old,

Hmmm Cheyenne 4 is an impressive looking beast on paper, 300kts something FL 350, and 1800 nm but it won't do all of those those things at the same time.

Gets bragging rights at the bar if you need that but deep pockets you need.

It was Pipers last stand to try and cover the Conquest/Citation.

Most of their products were warmed over 310HP Navajo and they never dealt properly with the C of G and longitudinal stability problem that was already manifest in that aircraft.

All round C441 hands down. Won the market race b a country mile.

I'll give you a race from Sydney to Perth (yes nonstop westbound) and be on the ground in my hotel room or bar on my third or fourth.

BTW a C441 has the same cabin and cockpit layout as his C414. The only difference us torque and temp gauges. The concept was that an owner could step from a 400'series usually 414/421 straight into a 441. The turbine temp indicated was even compensated to look like regular CHT temps and auto torque and temp limiting.

Stand up the power levers like in your piston and everything just happens.

Start involves just pressing the start button and get on with seat belts and other stuff.

Tinstaafl
16th Oct 2013, 23:49
Really? Not a manual starting procedure other than monitoring? And it self limits torque & temps so no jiggling power levers to keep within limits?

I fly Kingairs (and a Cheyenne 1A a few times) so I'm more PT6 indoctrinated. Mind you that Cheyenne had a semi-auto start too. It even disconnected the starter for you.