PDA

View Full Version : Noise Abatement

Henry Kater
7th May 2002, 21:53
If you were flying a C172SP out of a noise sensitive field like KSNA in the States, how would you take-off as quietly as possible. Would you go for Best-Angle-of-Climb or Best-Rate-of-Climb, or would you not bother in a 172? I assume the difference is that one gets you highest in the shortest horizontal distance, whereas the other gets you highest in the shortest possible time, is this correct, and if so which is better for noise?

Presumably you would do a no flap landing (for minimum throttle settings), or would you not bother about this as well?

Regards

Student Pilot
YSBK

CessnaEng
7th May 2002, 22:09
Don't know about take-off but a higher descent rate with flaps would be quieter than a lower approach without IMHO

Henry Kater
7th May 2002, 22:26
I agree. I am wondering if small GA planes would bother with any special procedures, since the pattern altitude is so low (about 900 feet I think). It would seem that a higher pattern + flaps steep descent would be better for noise abatement. Maybe noise is only a concern for the big boys. The John Wayne Noise brochure available at www.ocair.com doesn't really address the issue other than to say that GA planes should perform a minimum flap landing, as per the FAA.

HK

javelin
8th May 2002, 01:23
If you are operating a constant speed prop equipped airplane, don't forget you can take off in less than full fine. We used to operate a Cessna 206 and 207 for skydiving and the locals were concerned about noise. We did the calcs and with 2500rpm set at takeoff, we could still guarantee the required performance off the runway at gross. The result was a much quieter take off and happy neighbours.

englishal
8th May 2002, 08:24
The noise sensors are so sensitive that you could get busted in a light aircraft, even with a windmilling prop coming in to land...For example Long Beach, if you shoot the ILS 30 late at night, then chances are you'll receive a letter from the Long Beach city (as has happened to many of my friends ) - trace you via Socal, regestration and hence pilot. After a couple of warnings you start getting fined.

Best way is to know where the noise sensors are and avoid them, and in the case of LGB, using the VOR approach instead and you will be safe.

Cheers
EA