PDA

View Full Version : Passenger lands plane at Humberside Airport after pilot falls ill

Bahn-Jeaux
8th Oct 2013, 19:49
Local paper reports a passsenger is being talked down into Humberside after pilot of light aircraft got taken ill.
No more info.

Passenger lands plane at Humberside Airport after pilot falls ill | This is Grimsby (http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Passenger-landing-plane-Humberside-Airport-pilot/story-19903289-detail/story.html)

9whitefox9
8th Oct 2013, 19:57
Apparently they're down safely..

Passenger lands light aircraft safely at Humberside Airport | This is Hull and East Riding (http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Passenger-lands-light-aircraft-safely-Humberside/story-19903320-detail/story.html#axzz2hA6bGgU8)

Great job by ATC by the look of it.. :)

Bahn-Jeaux
8th Oct 2013, 20:12
Now updated...successful landing.

MSOCS
8th Oct 2013, 22:09
BBC News - Passenger lands plane at Humberside Airport after pilot falls ill (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-24450534)

Any landing you can walk away from..... BZ to the guy in the hot seat. That's some pressure he didn't expect when he woke up this morning!

:D:D

NutLoose
8th Oct 2013, 22:25
Not really military, but if you want to see something that will make you weep

BBC News - Arrest after vehicle damages three planes at Englefield airfield (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-24450897)

500N
8th Oct 2013, 22:37
Jesus, what nut cases.

Why oh why would you do that.

beamender99
8th Oct 2013, 22:42
BBC News - Passenger lands plane at Humberside Airport after pilot falls ill (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-24450534)

Ulster
8th Oct 2013, 23:37
Reading this unfortunately it looks like the Pilot died

Very sad indeed ; and well done to all concerned in getting it down in one piece.
Doesn't say much for the predictive value of the pilot's medical though.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
8th Oct 2013, 23:39
Spotters Corner and Rumours and News is always such a fount of enlightenment. Thank you.

Pilot.Lyons
9th Oct 2013, 05:35
Good job...

Sky news made out he was on a training flight!

Well done to that you man/woman and the instructors on the ground helping him down!

Dark Helmet
9th Oct 2013, 07:14
A great outcome. Well done to everyone involved.

Bahn-Jeaux
9th Oct 2013, 07:14
Reading this unfortunately it looks like the Pilot died.

Flying expert Roy Murray, of Waltham, talked passenger through landing plane at Humberside Airport after pilot fell ill and died | This is Grimsby (http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Video-Expert-helps-passenger-land-plane/story-19907867-detail/story.html)

doubleu-anker
9th Oct 2013, 11:10
Yes a sad outcome indeed.

I only hope GAPAN can take a look at this as I think some sort of recognition would be in order. The passenger landed the thing at night with possibly NO prior experience, with the magnificent intervention, of a very capable instructor. Hats off to all involved.

Ulster

"Doesn't say much for the predictive value of the pilot's medical though."

No it doesn't and this applies to all medicals. Each and everyone of us could drop dead with HF or be crippled by a stroke in an instant. Class 1 or no class 1.

Northbound A1
9th Oct 2013, 11:38
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Well done to the passenger :D

GrahamK
9th Oct 2013, 11:56
Unfortunately the pilot has died :(

piperboy84
9th Oct 2013, 12:09
Well done to all involved and condolences to the pilots friend and family.
I wonder how many on here have done basic pinch hitter (get it down) demos/training for their significant other or non pilot buddies who frequently ride along, I have with the girlfriend and was pleasantly surprised with her pretty accurate and logical response as to what she would do, granted the real thing is another kettle of fish

Quote on the bbc from eyewitness who seen the landing

"Stuart Sykes, who saw the aircraft land, said: "It came down with a bump, a bump, a bump, hit the front end down, I heard some crashing and it's come to a halt."

So nothing you don't see at your average GA field on a Saturday afternoon
Well done to the guy !!!!

doubleu-anker
9th Oct 2013, 12:38
Piperboy

I beg your pardon!! You let a passenger touch the controls!! You are not allowed to let a passenger touch the controls unless you are an instructor. EASA Rules!! :}

All BS of course, like the rest of the garbage Europe churn out!

Hotel Tango
9th Oct 2013, 12:41
Not quite sure what post #2 has to do with the OP :confused:

MSOCS
9th Oct 2013, 12:58
Yes, very sad that the Captain has passed away but I am glad that the passenger (or anyone else on the ground) didn't perish as a result of his incapacitation at the time. It could have been much, much worse.

pasir
9th Oct 2013, 15:37
Excellent performance by passenger and Radio Op/Instructor. Sad though about the pilot.

Would be interested to know the a/c type if known .

localflighteast
9th Oct 2013, 16:41
it was the thought of somethign like this that made me husband persuade me to take some basic flight training after he got his PPL.

Unfortunately for him . I got bitten by the bug and am now working on my own PPL.

It was a case in the US where I guy had a heart attack and died at the controls leaving his wife to land the plane. She'd had some training and luckily managed, that preempted this conversation between us.

Jonzarno
9th Oct 2013, 16:58
It is terribly sad that the pilot in this incident should die like this but, as I understand it, it was him that made the initial Mayday call. That must have been a difficult thing to do and he deserves kudos for having done it, as do the passenger and the instructors who got the plane down safely between them. :D:D:D

I would also like to add my sincere condolences to the family and friends.

On the subject of pinch hitting: both my wife and daughter have done the Cirrus Partner in Command course and gained a great deal from it both in terms of understanding what to do if something happens to me, but also in terms of their general understanding of what is going on when we fly.

I would recommend a course of this kind to any non pilot passenger.

NorthernChappie
9th Oct 2013, 17:17
Interviews with the guy (77 and no lessons) that got that plane down are on BBC. Very moving and confirms his lack of experience. Interview with Ops Director at Humberside very revealing. Seems like he got back to Sandtoft, orbited but they then managed to get him to Humberside where he was instructed to do a go-around then got it down. Most of it in the dark. He did well but our ATC and instructor friends are the real heroes here. Well done folks.

7of9
9th Oct 2013, 17:42
Aircraft was a Cessna 172.

I know both people in this incident.

Condolences to the pilots family.

alland2012
9th Oct 2013, 18:38
Well done to the pax and the guys on the ground for getting the aircraft safely down with a good outcome, condolences to the pilots family and friends.

No one knows when we may succumb to a medical emergency, personally I'm happy my wife took a high pitcher course just in case she has to get herself down with the increased chances of a good outcome if the situation ever arises.

PompeyPaul
9th Oct 2013, 18:45
Come on?! What's happening here? This isn'tthe PPrune of old?

Surely the key story here is how the passenger was unlicensed, without a valid medical and a damn nuisance to himself and everyone else in the air? Surely you lot should all be weighing in with a right kicking for everyone involved?

Get a grip people. This is PPrune NOT a flying forum about helping & supporting other private pilots! :=

er340790
9th Oct 2013, 19:03
He described how he landed the plane, saying it was like a "controlled crash, really".

:D :D :D :D :D

Bravo! That is the perfect definition of ANY landing!!!!

HowlingMad Murdock
9th Oct 2013, 22:16
Amazing story!

Well done to the passenger and the Instructor who 'talked him down'

:D

India Four Two
10th Oct 2013, 05:48
What an amazing achievement by Mr. Murray and the passenger/pilot. Remembering my first attempts at controlling an aeroplane, I doubt I could have done it.

I presume the CAA wheels are in motion to prosecute the passenger for flying without a licence or medical?

Madbob
10th Oct 2013, 08:09
Brian Lecomber wrote an excellent book called "Talkdown" based on just such a story line with a female pax (had to be a beautiful heroine for the book!) landed a Piper Arrow (or something similar) being talked down by a formatting instructor pilot.

Still go it! It's a good read......

Discorde
10th Oct 2013, 10:42
If the passenger (who did a brilliant job) had had previous access to this, things might not have been so frightening for him.

fireflybob
10th Oct 2013, 10:47
And he managed to do this without a Health and Safety Risk assessment or even EASA?

BackPacker
10th Oct 2013, 10:55
Surely the key story here is how the passenger was unlicensed, without a valid medical and a damn nuisance to himself and everyone else in the air? Surely you lot should all be weighing in with a right kicking for everyone involved?

Yeah, I was just wondering who gets to log what on this flight.:}

mad_jock
10th Oct 2013, 11:13
To be fair if that's YR its perfectly normal to bounce it on the first landing even for people with loads of hours in a C172.

Bad news about the instructor, well done to the PAX for landing safe and I hope its the start of a long connection with aviation and the event hasn't put you off.

ShyTorque
10th Oct 2013, 11:51
Yeah, I was just wondering who gets to log what on this flight.

Dual to first solo, maybe.

With all due respect, my sincere condolences and latterly congratulations, at the same time.

I'm sure the bereaved family are very grateful to the passenger/captain.

Well done to all involved in getting the aircraft down in one piece.

Ulster
10th Oct 2013, 15:07
Brian Lecomber wrote an excellent book called "Talkdown" based on just such a story line

I remember reading that book many years ago ; a great story ! I seem to recall that the pilot in the fictional version was unconscious from a sub-arachnoid haemorrhage. It remains to be seen what caused this recent pilot to collapse and die at the controls.
There, but for the Grace of God, go any one of us, I suppose.

gaxan
10th Oct 2013, 15:28
One of the Instructors ( Rob ???? ) at Henlow Flying Club did the same whilst he was an instructor at Swansea. Pilot has a heart attack and son in law landed the aircraft with rob formating alongside. I think the aircraft was a Rallye ( tin parachute).

Tinstaafl
10th Oct 2013, 16:52
Tsk tsk. Where have standards & responsibility gone? Where was his hi-viz?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th Oct 2013, 17:30
Yes, well done that pax. However, I suspect he'd been flying with his mate (the guy who unfortunately died) before, and no doubt had 'had a go' with his mate giving him some unofficial instruction.

C Hughes
11th Oct 2013, 10:36
First - Congratulations to the passenger and condolences to the pilot's family.

Second - Please see the Daily Telegraph, 10 Oct, page 5 - "Guide to landing a light Plane" and see how many errors you can count!

RTN11
11th Oct 2013, 13:43
Please see the Daily Telegraph, 10 Oct, page 5 - "Guide to landing a light Plane" and see how many errors you can count!

How it?s done: Guide to landing a light plane - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/10367754/How-its-done-Guide-to-landing-a-light-plane.html)

It's easier to count the things that are right, I only see two!

This is so badly written, why would they get someone who has clearly never been anywhere near a plane to write a guide on how to land one, possibly based on a brief interview with a couple of pilots. It's so confusing, he keeps talking about moving the control wheel up and down, which is nonsense.

Kolossi
11th Oct 2013, 13:51
Thanks for posting the link, that's the funniest thing I've read in quite a while, my favourite:

when the plane is about 1ft off the ground comes the “hold-off”, the throttle is pushed in and the control wheel is pushed forward – so the plane is flying level and slowly.
... or spearing into the ground nose first with full throttle ... potaytoes potatos !!! :D

piperboy84
11th Oct 2013, 20:46
[QUOTE

Please see the Daily Telegraph, 10 Oct, page 5 - "Guide to landing a light Plane" and see how many errors you can count!
How it?s done: Guide to landing a light plane - TelegraphQUOTE]

Damn it, and I went and spunked a bunch of money on flight lessons

AN2 Driver
12th Oct 2013, 19:31
What is that they mention about "sparks flying"? Prop strike?

Good job all concerned however.

Pilot.Lyons
12th Oct 2013, 19:37
Thanks for posting the link, that's the funniest thing I've read in quite a while, my favourite:

when the plane is about 1ft off the ground comes the “hold-off”, the throttle is pushed in and the control wheel is pushed forward – so the plane is flying level and slowly.
... or spearing into the ground nose first with full throttle ... potaytoes potatos !!! :D

Now i know where i have been going wrong for the last three years! Thanks guys :D

Steve6443
12th Oct 2013, 21:27
The funny thing about this, if this can at all be called remotely amusing when you consider the unfortunate demise of the original pilot, was that during my first lessons, I regularly thought: what will I do if my instructor suddenly collapses - he was 78, after all.

I was extremely nervous at that prospect so to hear that the passenger, who had never flown such a plane before, successfully landed it (and didn't look too badly damaged either), then a big "congratulations" is in order......

kaitakbowler
12th Oct 2013, 23:22
The Henlow instructor was Rob Legg, he formated alongside a Robin? whose pilot had collapsed and the non pilot passenger managed to get out a radio call, Rob talked him down and although the a/c ran off the runway there was little or no damage, a local radio enthusiast heard and recorded the event which got into the public domain and the BBC featured it in I believe the first episode of the 999 series. Rob was honoured for his actions by GAPAN in 1991. He was a popular instructor at Henlow.

Shineycj
12th Oct 2013, 23:48
It was a 172, but unfortunately, I couldn't find the flap control nor the light switch.

India Four Two
13th Oct 2013, 06:09
Shineycj,

If you really are "the passenger", very well done :ok:

However, don't keep us in suspense. More details are required. ;) Had you ever flown an aircraft before?

7of9
13th Oct 2013, 07:11
Yes Shiney was the passenger, as i said in an earlier post i knew the pilot & know Shiney (John)

He's been flying with me on several occasions & has with other members both here at Sandtoft & other local airfields.

Well done for landing the C172! Did a great job say all of us! under the circumstances, From the P2 seat & at Night too!!

He's told his story already, was in most papers Thursday & on TV news world wide Wednesday.

Trev

Meldrew
14th Oct 2013, 09:02
Who needs Birch and Bramson or Jeremy Pratt, when you have The Daily Telegraph! For ***** Sake!!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Oct 2013, 21:08
If 'Shiney' is a regular right seater with you Sandtoft guys, I presume that flight wasn't the first when he'd had a go at flying the aeroplane? Seems unlikely that some one with no previous experience at all could have done it.

worrab
15th Oct 2013, 14:22
BBC News - Moment of passenger's emergency landing at Humberside airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24534013)

ericferret
15th Oct 2013, 15:31
In case not mentioned elsewhere in this thread, try Brian Lecombers novel "Talkdown". A great read and it even starts in the same part of the world Newcastle and Sherburn.

Bahn-Jeaux
16th Oct 2013, 09:03
Video now on this page.

RAF release video footage of passenger's emergency landing at Humberside Airport | This is Grimsby (http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/RAF-release-video-footage-passenger-s-emergency/story-19935466-detail/story.html)