PDA

View Full Version : Hens teeth/ rocking horse droppings !

sailor
8th Oct 2013, 17:56
As the place where there is always at least one person who can provide the answer, I am seeking not one but two of the above title, namely the whereabouts of a Rolls Royce Nene jet engine, and a Bristol Centaurus big radial, preferably in "as new" condition or at least capable of being returned to airworthiness.
Not a lot to ask of all you experts who inhabit this site ! I anticipate being overwhelmed with information in a trice !
Thanks in anticipation.

treadigraph
8th Oct 2013, 19:45
Don't know about the UK, but if the US isn't too far away and given the American predilection for sticking R3350s in Sea Furies, Nelson Ezell in Texas or Sanders Aviation at Ione, California could be possible sources for a Centaurus.

Barksdale Boy
9th Oct 2013, 02:03
For a Nene, try Russia. They copied enough of them after we foolishly let them have the technology in the late 40s.

ICT_SLB
9th Oct 2013, 04:07
Think a Nene powered the tunnel at Weybridge - I seem to recall one out on the Brooklands track when I was working there on MRCA so the museum may have one. But what looks to be a much better bet is this engine shown on You Tube.

DaveReidUK
9th Oct 2013, 06:49
Good luck with getting any sleeve-valve engine restored to running, let alone airworthy, condition.

This might be worth a read:

Bristol Hercules 230 - Aero Engines Carlisle (http://www.aeroenginescarlisle.org.uk/Home/bristol-hercules-230)

You may have more luck with a Nene or RD-45/VK-1, if you can get your hands on one.

Peter-RB
9th Oct 2013, 13:31
To add more, I have a 3 hr only, Bristol Herc on a pukka engine transit frame/stand I lent it to the Yorkshire Air Mueseum, they said they wanted to fit it onto their Halifax and start it to liven up the A/c and possibly taxi the thing, strange thing is .... despite all the promised information and ulitimate run up within a few months of my delivery,
I have not heard a peep from them.

I bought it for my father, for he was a Beau man, and despite knowing I could not find a Beau I thought the Herc would be the next best thing, when it was delivered to my warehouse I told Dad the big thing just delivered was for him, so off he went to look, he came back to the office with tears and very red eyes, but a strange thing then happened after all my years of asking him about the war time things that he was involved with, he started to talk about that time, and did so untill his death some three years later, I also took him to the fighter collection at Dux where they let Dad very close contact with the cockpit section of the Beau they were rebuilding, I could not get him out from that Hanger.

Sorry if this has bored any of you.

Peter R-B
Lancashire

kluge
10th Oct 2013, 06:23
Good luck with getting any sleeve-valve engine restored to running

Some enterprising Kiwi's have done just that. Enjoy.

Bristol Freighter engine run - YouTube

Bristol Hercules sleeve valve engine run Omaka - YouTube

DaveReidUK
10th Oct 2013, 07:23
Great video ! Brings back memories of Centaurus-powered Airspeed Ambassadors enveloped in clouds of smoke on startup.

microlightgary
10th Oct 2013, 22:57
I'm certain that the late great Wg Cdr Ken Wallis had a Centaurus in it's transit egg(?), at least it was there last time I visited in 2009. I recall him saying that the RNHF had visited but it wasn't the right mark for the Sea Fury; I'm sure he said it was new and that he'd rescued it (not sure where from) because he couldn't bear to see it go to waste. It was in the shed cum workshop along from the autogyro hangar with his boats and various tooling - seem to recall the egg was blue.
No idea who has inherited the estate but worth a query perhaps? I'll bet he'd love to look down and see it put to good use :ok:

ICT_SLB
11th Oct 2013, 03:36
Peter RB,
If you'd like your engine to be installed on a Beaufighter, perhaps you should get in touch with the Canadian Aviation Museum in Rockcliffe. Their TFX (http://aviation.technomuses.ca/collections/artifacts/aircraft/BristolBeaufighterTFX/) currently has no engines!

treadigraph
11th Oct 2013, 06:43
And The Fighter Collection were looking for potentially airworthy engines for their TFX - I think the various Hercules (Herculii?) they have acquired are from Varsities and the like and are not suitable.

onetrack
11th Oct 2013, 10:39
Have all the Iraqi AF Bristol Centaurus engines been collected? I seem to recall that Rob Poynton got one for his Sea Fury, and a local gent who turned out to be a former Bristol factory engineer examined the Iraqi find, and declared it was in perfect condition, and had probably done less than 50 hrs run time.

sailor
13th Oct 2013, 18:40
Thanks all who have responded; I have followed up some leads and found 2 "new" Nenes which unfortunately were the wrong Mark. Persevering still and will keep all posted with any progress.

Prangster
14th Oct 2013, 21:07
As adj to the above in 1980 I was called to the unit one day to find some bods from I think RAF Stafford waving bit of paper and demanding I hand over the almost complete Nene we kept hidden in the air raid shelter. Until they turned up and commandered the thing non of us knew just how valuable it was. It proved to be from the first tranche built. From the conditon it left us in I doubt it would ever run again but it just shows how cavalier things were in those days. to my knowledge it went to Hendon.

DaveReidUK
14th Oct 2013, 22:13
I have followed up some leads and found 2 "new" Nenes which unfortunately were the wrong MarkYour first post said you were "seeking the whereabouts of a Rolls Royce Nene jet engine", and now you tell us that not just any Nene, however pristine, will do.

How are we supposed to help ?

X-Brat
20th Oct 2013, 13:28
There are three Centaurus engines at Kermit Weekes' museum just outside Orlando. One is incomplete. He might like to sell or trade one.

millsie216
30th Oct 2013, 21:57
Thought you might be interested in the Hercules 216 engine I have restored to running order, originally from the Hastings.
Hope you enjoy

Bristol Hercules aero sleeve valve radial engine First Run - YouTube (http://youtu.be/nIYrPGRNRHo)

<iframe width="640" height="480"
src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nIYrPGRNRHo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0"
allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaveReidUK
4th Nov 2013, 21:52
Hope you enjoyIndeed so. Great video, brings back memories of Valettas and Varsities.

Wander00
4th Nov 2013, 22:06
So anyone got engines for a Beaufighter? PLEASE