PDA

View Full Version : FE(A) IMCr/IR(R) Privileges

justmaybe
6th Oct 2013, 20:47
Given the almost bastardy status of the IMCr/IR(R), does a FE(A) require IR/IMC instructional privileges to test for the IMCr/IR(R), as opposed to simply holding an IMCr/IR
Looked at both CAP 804 and FCL 1010 and they don't appear to address the issue. Apols in advance if I have missed something obvious, apprciate any comments

Whopity
6th Oct 2013, 21:57
It has always been the case that to Examine for a privilege, you must be qualified to teach for that privilege.

FCL.1000 Examiner certificates
(a) General. Holders of an examiner certificate shall:
(1) hold an equivalent licence, rating or certificate to the ones for which they are authorised to conduct skill tests, proficiency checks or assessments of competence and the privilege to instruct for them;

S-Works
7th Oct 2013, 07:52
Not to mention the fact that as FE you must also have testing privileges for the IMCr. It is not embedded in the FE. You can't get the IMCr testing privileges on the FE unless you have the teaching privileges.......

Whopity
7th Oct 2013, 08:04
The old UK FE Authorisation Certificates used to specifically include the IMCr if you were so Authorised, but the new EASA FE Certificate does not, so I can see how the question may arise. My old certificate says I can do it, the latest one doesn't!

S-Works
8th Oct 2013, 05:35
My latest EASA one does. Specifically states IMCr and IR(Restricted) on it. So do our other examiners.

I would check to make sure you have not lost it in the transition!

Cows getting bigger
8th Oct 2013, 06:11
Yes, my EASA Licensing Certificate also specifies that I can examine IMC and IR(R).

Whopity
8th Oct 2013, 09:22
So that makes a total of 6 errors on my EASA licence, hadn't spotted that one before!

S-Works
8th Oct 2013, 09:41
Which takes us back to the original question and the answer is no you can't test, unless you specifically have IMCr privileges stated in the FE you can't test for the IMCr. To gain those privileges is actually an extra day on the FE course or in my case came off the back of doing the IRE and was applied to the FE as well.

I had a few mistakes on my licence as well. I think being an early adopter left them unsure how to enter something's. For example my IR was entered as IR SPA NonHPCA when it should have been entered as IR SPA ME Class.

IR got missed off two type ratings as well. Took awhile to sort.

Esperanza
9th Oct 2013, 19:55
Am I right in thinking that IMC/IR(R) training will cease to exist after the 8th April 2014, or are talks still going on between the CAA and EASA? I've been looking at the CAA websites for an answer, but I'm too tired to spend all evening looking for answers.

Esperanza
10th Oct 2013, 05:46
I've read, and hopefully understand this...

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2330/Revised%20Statement%20UK%20IMC%20RATING%20May%202012%20_v3.p df

My next question is that if somebody started their IMC training whilst holding a JAR PPL, but has subsequently already converted to an EASA PPL, then can they still apply for an IR(R) to be added to their licence? I have a chap who just needs to take and pass his IMC written examination.

Following on from this...if somebody has just finished their PPL training and has been issued with an EASA PPL, then can they still add an IR(R) onto their licence before the 8th April 2014? I'm guessing that they can't.

Esperanza
10th Oct 2013, 06:29
IMC Rating - Current Situation (March 2013) (http://www.aopa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=710:imc-rating-current-situation-march-2013&catid=1:latest-news)

Paragraph three appears to imply that people should be able to train towards an IR(R) up until April 2014. They should be able to add the rating to their EASA licence...I think. :confused:

S-Works
10th Oct 2013, 08:25
According to AOPA it looks like the IMCr is going to get a 5 year reprieve.

BEagle
10th Oct 2013, 14:31
Am I right in thinking that IMC/IR(R) training will cease to exist after the 8th April 2014, or are talks still going on between the CAA and EASA?

Talks have been ongoing both with EASA and the EC. Until any further definite announcements are made, do not assume that training for the IR(R) will continue beyond Apr 2014. Regardless of EASA's antics, it would remain possible (but there probably wouldn't be much demand) to train for an IMCr on non-EASA aeroplanes only, to be included in a UK non-JAR/non-EASA PPL.

My next question is that if somebody started their IMC training whilst holding a JAR PPL, but has subsequently already converted to an EASA PPL, then can they still apply for an IR(R) to be added to their licence? I have a chap who just needs to take and pass his IMC written examination.

Yes.

Following on from this...if somebody has just finished their PPL training and has been issued with an EASA PPL, then can they still add an IR(R) onto their licence before the 8th April 2014? I'm guessing that they can't.

Your guess is wrong - they certainly can.

Paragraph three appears to imply that people should be able to train towards an IR(R) up until April 2014. They should be able to add the rating to their EASA licence...I think.

Correct, but they must apply before 8 Apr 2014.

According to AOPA it looks like the IMCr is going to get a 5 year reprieve.

AOPA has made no such official statement. It is understood that certain new proposals may be raised at a forthcoming EC comitology session, but it would be wrong to raise any false hopes as there is no guarantee that a favourable vote will follow. Incidentally, the CAA does not intend to comment on a report posted rather unwisely on another aviation website concerning this proposal, nor to respond to any enquiries on this matter at this point in time.

Esperanza
10th Oct 2013, 18:00
Thank you for the replies/advice. I'm now a lot happier that I know what I'm doing.