PDA

View Full Version : PPL renewal at five years.

GoneWest
7th May 2002, 13:50
Can somebody remind me of the details PPL renewal.

If I just passed skill test this year - paid my £147 to the CAA - and had JAA PPL issued this month - May 2002.....am I right in thinking that it will expire in May 2007.

To keep it valid/current (call it what you will) I would need to get a signature - by proficiency or test - by May 2004...and another one in May 2006.

What happens in 2007 - just ask the CAA for another? Send them another £147 and ask for another? Do another full skill test, another £147, and ask for another....what happens at five years??

BlueLine
7th May 2002, 17:21
Provided you have a valid medical and aircraft rating you just fill in a form and ask for another licence. Cost is in the ANO Scheme of Charges £57.

Courtman
7th May 2002, 17:30
Can someone confirm this thread for me.

I have a CAA PPL issued in 1996. This never expires, although I now do the 3/90 landings and the 1hr flight with an instructor to keep it current every 2yrs.

Mrs. Courtman started her PPL last weekend (great news). Does this mean that once her PPL is issued it only lasts for 5 years???!!! And costs £150+ (cheaper than mine) for initial issue and £50+ every 5 years? On top of the £70 medical every five years, and less once getting older???!!!

Suddenly it sounds a lot more expensive!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Evo7
7th May 2002, 17:56
While we're on this subject, what are the requirements for a CPL?

(edit, and apologies for a wannabe-esque question, from looking at GID24 - which also doesn't answer my question :) - what is the difference between CPL and ATPL theoretical knowledge? GID24 makes it look like there are fewer exams requiring much less study time - 200 hours for a PPL(A) holder vs. some 750 study for an aspirant ATPL - but I've never heard of CPL theory before...?)

CAHLIBAHN_MK2
7th May 2002, 18:23
Courtman
That is about the sum of it. Your CAA licence is valid for life, Mrs Courtman's JAR-FCL licence will be valid for 5 years.
Scale of charges can be seen at
Charges (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_Scharges_ppl_03.pdf)

GID33 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid33.pdf) will tell you more than you wanted to know about keeping licences and ratings valid ;)

Courtman
7th May 2002, 20:24
Thanks for the info.

I thought Europe was meant to make things easier. Seems its ripping new pilots off. No wonder fewer are learning. Sheesh. :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

GoneWest
7th May 2002, 20:36
BlueLine...dare I ask.....which form?:D

BEagle
7th May 2002, 20:53
Courtman - funny old thing but I challenged Payton at the CAA on this very issue. I asserted that his Regulatory Impact Assessment purporting to show that the introduction of the JAR-FCL PPL would not result in increased costs was a totally fraudulent document.

It is blindingly obvious that JAR-FCL has increased costs to all at PPL level - hence the forthcoming NPPL!

WestWind1950
8th May 2002, 07:15
here in Germany we haven't put the JAR-FCL into national law yet...AND I HOPE WE DON'T!! I see only problems ahead! The idea was good (common training throughout Europe, etc.), but it has been made so strict and difficult! Originally it wasn't supposed to expire...that has changed...new instructors will not be available...too expensive and how in the world can you instruct 100 hours in 2 years without any students available?? All instructors will fight over the few that exist! ;)

and then there are national restrictions, like aerobatics and glider-tow...you can't do them outside your own country without special permission from the visiting country! try getting that on a weekend!

anyone know how to renew the CPL? I couln't find it in the JAR-FCL drafts I've read...only the training requirements....

I would be very interested in any backlash from you about your experience with this new license.......

Keep flying!

WestWind1950