PDA

View Full Version : Menorca flight

Fujiflyer
7th May 2002, 12:05
I'm intending to fly down to Menorca in June (staying Sun 2nd for a week), from Shoreham. I expect to stop at St Afrique (LFIF) for fuel and then straight to Mahon from there. The route I have planned is more or less a straight line all the way.

I would be grateful if anyone has got any advice for me. I cannot seem to find a 'phone number for Mahon airport so I am not sure what to expect when I arrive. There seems to be virtually nothing in the way of previous postings in respect of flying to Menorca, on PPRuNe.

Presumably I need to file a flight plan for each of the two legs. The French part of the journey seems fairly straightforward but I have no idea what to expect from the Spanish. :confused:

Fujiflyer

Polar_stereographic
7th May 2002, 14:42
Fujiflyer

Speak to the sim guy at PAT (EGHH) and he'll tell you a story about flying down there, and what you'll need not to get detailed at Juan's pleasure.

I did a bit of flying down there about 10 years ago. Great scenery, but I flew from the GA airport next to Mahon.

Enjoy the trip.

PS

pps, I'll be in Mallorca when you're there. Probably fly over you courtesy of Air2Bob on the way.

Four Holer Roller
7th May 2002, 15:32
I'm going there next week!

The Mahon airport contacts are:

Snr Miguel Angel Molero Queipo,
Jefe Seccion Gestion Operaciones.

E-mail [email protected]

Fax 34 971 157090

Hope that helps.

Cheers

BEagle
7th May 2002, 21:06
Is the old airport at San Luis still open? There used to be a nice little Aero Club there with a couple of Spanish monoplanes - they also had a very pleasant restaurant - Lomo de cerdo con patatas fritas was excellent. The airport was the original one before the 'new' Mahon airport (or should it now be 'Mao' in line with the move to Menorquin names?).

Have a good trip and give my regards to the Isla Blanca y Azul - just hope that the Tramontana isn't blowing when you're there!

Salud y Pesetas!