PDA

View Full Version : Basic trainers aircraft that can use Diesel Engine Retrofit

bluehawaii
29th Sep 2013, 05:18
Ladies and Gentlemen, does anybody know which other basic trainer aircraft that can be retrofitted with the Thielert Centurion Diesel Engines, excluding the Cessna 172/182, Diamond and Cirrus. For example other aircraft like Beechcraft or Piper etc. Thanks.

BackPacker
29th Sep 2013, 06:40
Robin DR400. Or buy the Ecoflyer directly off the factory with the 2.0 Thielert.

Cows getting bigger
29th Sep 2013, 07:48
Piper Warrior.

YODI
29th Sep 2013, 08:27
Yes the Robin like G-SJMH and obviously PA28's

Mickey Kaye
29th Sep 2013, 09:21
YODI

Is there much difference in a pa28 or 172 conversion. Is one easier to do that the other? How does the conversion between the two compare cost wise? And which is the most reliable afterwards?

YODI
29th Sep 2013, 09:43
I much prefer the conversion on the PA28, saying that though I've been on the PA28 diesels for 6 years and only worked on 2 x 172 diesels in that time.

On Friday I changed all the engine fuel, oil & coolant hoses on a C172 and it wasn't a terrible job but does take time, and was easier than doing on a PA28.

I'd hazard a guess that for every 25 PA28 diesels there is one 172, and I know everyone prefers the PA28 with diesel compared. The 172 Diesel is much harder to sell too.

As for reliability, I'd suggest they are both the same, the 172 runs a hub extender for the prop which I'm not to keen on but they are the same hardware and Fadecs as each other. Cost wise will be a minimal if any difference in it. Converting either of them is exoensive and time consuming, if you've not done one get help from someone that knows the set up it'll amke your life much easier, as the Engine and Installation manuals aren't always the easiest to make sense of.

The DR400 Ecoflyer is a nice aircraft, a touch small for me although I'm quite a big lad, I haven't flown SJMH but I have done endless ground runs and engine/airframe checks on it during my Cabair days and it was a nice, compact installation. The payload is better than the PA28 too.

Are you thinking of buying a Diesel Aircraft?

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/GImages/G-SJMH002.jpg