PDA

View Full Version : Whats the score with Cameras and the CAA take?

YODI
28th Sep 2013, 09:24
Hi Guys,

I can't seem to find any information about attaching cameras to Aircraft. I've seen hundreds of cideos on Youtube and I'd like to do the same.

I fly out of Bournemouth now and also Elstree, and can capture some great video clips. I've been on some epic journeys and wished I had done it sooner, although I have taken some great stills.

Whats the legality and CAA's take on attaching a Gopro or similar to an external part of the plane, IE on top of the wing, or under the fuse?

My questions is purely about outside mounting, not internally.

Thanks for any help

Yodi

magpienja
28th Sep 2013, 18:54
Sometimes it better not to ask.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Sep 2013, 19:01
Legally, on the outside of the aeroplane, it requires mod approval, which you're unlikely to get.

However, if for example you happen to own a microlight, there's an excellent bit of guidance here (http://www.bmaa.org/files/til017_fit_a_camera_to_a_microlight.pdf). Strangely, all aeroplanes work much the same as a microlight does, so you could always use this as guidance for mocking something up to think about.

G

BackPacker
28th Sep 2013, 19:58
No comment on the legal aspect, but a few practical observations.

You need to think very carefully about the backup line which you use to tie the camera to the aircraft. The BMAA advice is good but is specifically for microlights with props at the rear end. In this case you will want to prevent damage to the prop at all costs. However, in a conventional powered aircraft (engine up front) or in a glider, if the camera comes undone, it can't hit the prop (well, maybe except in an aerobatics tailslide) so that's no longer a consideration. Airframe paint protection is: If you attach the camera with a backup piece of string or something, and it comes undone, then you will sit in agony for the rest of the flight while the camera makes a banging noise against the airframe and scrapes the paint off - or worse. If you cannot make the line long enough so that the camera dangles *behind* the airframe (and without the line interfering with the controls), then it might be best not to secure it at all - the cost of losing the camera will be significantly less than the cost of a respray. Put your name and telephone number on the camera and hope for the best if it falls off. Or don't if you're worried about liability.

And for the record, I have *never* *ever* seen a properly attached GoPro suction cup let go, unless it was attached to a non-airtight surface - in which case it fell off within a minute or so, so well before you even get the engine started. I have used mine on composite gliders, aluminium wings and perspex canopies at speeds well over 100 knots. I have had it attached to the underside and top of wings, and on top of the stabilizer and never experienced any aerodynamic problem.

Second advice is to treat the camera as a fire-and-forget item. Turn it on before the flight, turn it off afterwards, and don't think about it during the flight. The GoPro can do about 2.5 hours of HD video on a standard battery, and a 32 GB SD card can hold a little over four hours of video. That's plenty long enough for your average flight. Alternatively, put the camera in timelapse mode where it will snap a picture every second (or whatever interval you specify) automatically. The Wifi Backpack for the Hero 2, or the built-in Wifi in the Hero 3 Black Edition sounds great, but there is a huge risk of getting distracted.

Maoraigh1
28th Sep 2013, 20:12
IE on top of the wing,

Effect on wing aerodynamics?

AberdeenAngus
28th Sep 2013, 20:33
Minimal, I would have thought.

YODI
28th Sep 2013, 21:04
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Lots to think about whilst whilst remaining safe and undistracted, it'll just be nice to showing my friends what life at 2000ft is like as none of them fly.

pudoc
28th Sep 2013, 21:17
The main issue is if you use a club aircraft and another member/worker see's it and reports you. Some clubs may not care, some will.

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Sep 2013, 22:18
Effect on wing aerodynamics?
Sounds to me like strapping things to your floats - do that and you're a test pilot. But many people do it, and most survive.

YODI
29th Sep 2013, 08:26
I dont fly club Aircraft, more worried about being legal and aerodynamics, truth be said I dont think anyone would notice the difference on a PA28 wether it had a GOPRO attached externally or not, unless they could see it of course.