PDA

View Full Version : PERFORMANCE CALCULATIONS

piratepete
28th Sep 2013, 06:13
A 767 operator based in Bangkok I worked at for a while used the following method (SOP) to set take off V speeds, reduced thrust (assumed temperature method) and climb thrust de-rate ON EVERY TAKE OFF.

Without any cross reference to the Captain, the First Officer, during his cockpit preparation scan would set the TMC to maximum reduced temperature (around 54 degrees assumed temp) and a climb thrust de-rate of climb 2, based on the computer flight plan estimated weight, and then program the FMC with V speeds based on the same ESTIMATED weight.The bug card would then be entered with all these figures, and HIS ASI as installed, would be set to these numbers.

If it was his leg he would brief all these calculations as if they were now final BEFORE THE LOAD SHEET had arrived.......I questioned the validity of this method but was told "its okay sir, the actual airplane weight is ALWAYS near the bottom of the performance tables, no need for a cross-check sir......" Any thoughts on this practice??

de facto
28th Sep 2013, 08:45
Tell him you aint going anywhere until the perf is calculated with a cross checked loadsheet.
If he doesnt agree,get your gear and go home and let him explain to the FOM why you left.

BOAC
28th Sep 2013, 09:55
If it was his leg he would brief all these calculations as if they were now final BEFORE THE LOAD SHEET had arrived.......I - that, in effect, with a buffer added to provisional load sheet figures, is how a 'radio/ACARS load sheet' works.

Everything set&Briefed on provisional + buffer and only changed if actual is more than XXX away from provisional.

As for the last bit.....................:eek: