PDA

View Full Version : Wisley Airfield

cambioso
26th Sep 2013, 08:13
Does anyone know if it is possible to land here?

PA28181
26th Sep 2013, 09:57
Only If you can stop before the "Armco" motorway barriers that "delineates" the footpath across the middle of the runway.

topoverhaul
26th Sep 2013, 10:05
A shameful waste of a very well situated length of tarmac

AucT
26th Sep 2013, 11:01
PA28181 - was that a joke? If not then the runway is long enough to land a STOL aircraft! I was wondering if it is "legal" to land there?

PA28181
26th Sep 2013, 11:50
Yes its a joke I made it all up, its perfectly legal to fly in, let us know what the cafe is like.

If the owners of Fairoaks, (Albemarle?)still own it, ask them for permission

BillieBob
26th Sep 2013, 13:49
There are actually four tracks/paths crossing the runway, each protected by barriers. The longest available ground run (circa 650m) is from the western end of the runway to the first barrier. Landing would be legal only with the permission of the landowner (whoever that may be)

chevvron
26th Sep 2013, 16:03
As far as I'm aware, Fairoaks only managed it on behalf of the owners. Don't know if that's still the case though.
I do know that in the early '80s, a Robin landed there having had engine failure. He got down OK only to take his undercarriage off on one of the sets of Armco. There was another forced landing by a weightshift microlight some years later and there've probably been more I haven't heard of.

abgd
26th Sep 2013, 16:35
I've heard it's used for r/c jets and other model aircraft so caution...

Fly-by-Wife
26th Sep 2013, 19:09
There's definitely R/C aircraft being flown there, as I've watched them on a few occasions.

As I often walk the length of the runway, I've noted that there's about 720m of paved surface from the western edge to the first armco - longer than many GA airfield runways. The surface is not great, with lots of weeds, loose stones, the odd tyre, etc. so it's not somewhere you would want to land voluntarily but, in an emergency, most SEPs (not necessarily their pilots) should be capable of getting in there without running into anything.

Having said all that it's about a year since I was last there, so it might have all changed!

FBW

Talkdownman
26th Sep 2013, 19:56
Plenty of room for a Jungmeister...

Aubrey.
26th Sep 2013, 20:03
Shame, would be a nice one to have in the logbook!

cambioso
28th Sep 2013, 08:26
Thanks everyone.
It is quite close to friends of mine and I'm far too lazy to drive down.
It will have to be Fairoaks then.................Just a thought.
Cheers,
Jez