PDA

View Full Version : Expired PPL and Medical

fabbe92
24th Sep 2013, 16:05
Hello fellow aviators! I have a question regarding my PPL and Medical. I have a European PPL and a Medical class 1 and due to different circumstances they have both expired last november. I am wondering which implications this may have? I mean, now I have to take the written exams again and to do a control-flight. And I have to visit the doctor. But is there a limit to this? May it be that after a certain amount of time I have to start from 0 and pay another 10k for flight training etc?

felixflyer
25th Sep 2013, 13:36
If your class 1 has expired then I think it will just revert to a class 2 after 1 year which will be valid for another 4 years, for PPL flying/hour building this will be fine.

Regarding your Licence, do you mean you didn't do the 12 hours requirement for the SEP rating or the 5 year expiry is up?

Whopity
25th Sep 2013, 15:06
now I have to take the written exams againNo, you will never have to take the written exams again. May it be that after a certain amount of time I have to start from 0 and pay another 10k for flight training etc?No, not that either, you have to go to an approved school (ATO) and do as much training as they recommend to pass a Proficiency Check. If your Class 2 medical privileges have expired, you will need to obtain at least a Class 2 as well.

fabbe92
26th Sep 2013, 11:16
My problem is that I haven't gotten 12 hours during the last two years. The license expires in 2015. My SEP has expired and my Medical class 1. So I don't understand exactly what I should do now to get everything in order again. I am living Sweden so the European rules should apply I presume.

I am currently at University and I have a few years left there before I continue with ATPL training. I am about to apply to the air force within 6 months as well. So maybe there is no need for the Class 1 at this stage and I should just let it go down to a class 2? What do you think?

Cobalt
26th Sep 2013, 12:46
I held a CPL for some time but was only flying privately. I revalidated my medical as Class 1 every time, but only when the Class 2 privileges expired, so every two years at my age instead of every year. Extra cost of a Class 1 revalidation is not that much, especially as IR holder where I need the audiogram anyway.

Your medical should say for how long it is valid for operations requiring only a Class 2 medical. I would wait until that point before revalidating, unless I was about to apply for something that requires Class 1.

To get the SEP rating back, all you need to do is pop up at an approved school, do training as required, get a course completion certificate, and fly a proficiency check with an examiner.

But I am really only repeating what Whopity already said.