PDA

View Full Version : Forum Introduction

BenMB
24th Sep 2013, 11:06
Hi all

I would just like to introduce my self to the forum.

My Name is Ben, i'm 22 and live in Kent. Ive so far only flown just over two hours but it has been enough to give me the bug! So i'm just making the most of any opportunity i can to hop in to the captains seat and go flying. I'm currently not flying as much as i'd like to as saving up on the long road towards a house deposit! I've flown at Headcorn aerodrome in the Cessna 172 but would also like to give it a go in a 150 aerobat and try gliding! Im lucky enough to be self employed and so not limited to when i can go flying, if any one has seen insect based sweets/snacks, thats my company.

So to start off here's my first question. I have heard somewhere along the grapevine that gliding allows you to build up upon hours toward a PPL, is this true? I'm yet to give gliding a go but more than willing as it costs less and will ultimately build hours (possibly)

Thanks

Ben

thing
25th Sep 2013, 11:28
Hi Ben and welcome. You used to be able to count gliding P1 hours towards your PPL. Ten hours P1 gliding gave you 1 hour off the PPL time up to a max of ten hours. I don't know for certain but I don't think you can do this anymore.

I would encourage you to go gliding however, simply because it's great!

mad_jock
25th Sep 2013, 12:48
gliding gets my thumbs up as well.

Also have a look at micro lights

Maoraigh1
25th Sep 2013, 19:39
insect based sweets/snacks, thats my company.

Any flying from a grass airfield in summer will be an excellent way of collecting raw material for your company. You should be able to class it as a business expence.:E

Prop swinger
25th Sep 2013, 21:09
Hello Ben,

For any gliding hours to count towards a PPL, you have to get to BGA glider pilot's licence/EASA sailplane licence standard.

Once you have a BGA glider licence you get a substantial reduction in the minimum training hours required for an NPPL(SSEA) licence, but you still have to pass the NPPL skills tests. It is likely to take more than the minimum 10 hours training to reach the required standard unless you are a very experienced glider pilot, or an exceptionally talented power pilot. You can turn your BGA glider licence into an EASA sailplane licence & get up to 15 hours reduction in minimum training hours for an LAPL(A) or 10 hours reduction for a PPL(A) but you would still have to pass the skills test & there is no guarantee that you would meet the required standard in minimum hours.

The reality is that you will spend more money getting a glider licence than you will save in power instruction costs. If you enjoy gliding & would have spent the money at the club anyway, it's nice that you can save a grand or two; if you don't like gliding, it's money down the drain.

thing
25th Sep 2013, 22:57
As prop swinger says, you would probably take the standard hours to pass your PPL anyway even with the hours reduction available. I had 20 odd years of gliding under my belt when I did my PPL but it still took me 45 hours with the skills test. Mind you, about five of that was staying on the ball while I could get a skills test sorted with the right day/weather combination.

IMO you can never waste time or money gliding. I know others disagree but I'm certain I'm a better power pilot for it. I always use the example of motorbykes and cars. I had many years on bykes before my first car and I think it makes you a better driver.

BenMB
27th Sep 2013, 12:26
Thank you all so much for your replies! They are very helpful and have answered my question.

Im not too sure the H&S aspect of sticking airfield cricket in a bag is going to go down too well lol! We have to get them specifically farmed, might be good fun sticking a sweep net on the back of the aircraft and collecting all those in the prop wash!

To be honest i had not considered that the 10 hours gained gliding may be wasted due to the difference in 'feel' etc of a powered aircraft.

I'm also keen to have a go in a microlight such as the Jabiru/Ikarus models as they seem to be a good way forward, being less expensive to fly/attain NPPL but still having the look of a Cessna 150 for example. Does anyone know of a field in Kent that runs lessons with such aircraft?

Thanks again

Ben