PDA

View Full Version : Licensing confusion please help

Jake-Matthews
22nd Sep 2013, 22:01
Hi there,

I am a Glider pilot who has almost partly completed my LAPL.I have my GPL from the BGA and am around 90% complete on my LAPL thoughscholarship such as the Air League, but have now decided it is not financiallyviable to complete my LAPL. I have opted to try and gain my SLMG as my gliding Clubhas said I would be able to keep up hours tugging on a Diamond Dimona. Fromthis SLMG I know after 75 hours you can get it upgraded to a TMG rating.

I need to know if it is possible to deduct hours from theSLMG hours requirement because I have already got around 30 hours with a FI inSEP aircraft such as the Grob Heron and Piper Warrior, having completed 6 hoursof solo including a solo navigation endorsement. I have not however undertakenany other exams apart from my Air Law nor have I done any Skills tests towardmy LAPL.

What I need to know:

What is required to gain a SLMG

If I am able to tug with a SLMG in a TMG

What the deductions are for someone of my mixed experienceif any

Costs if anyone can take a stab at it

And if possible places I can go to undertake a SLMG

If anyone in the PPRuNe community knows anything about Licensingplease post here. I have done some research I have just hit a block and am soover loaded with information I am just confusing myself further by readinganymore.
Thanks

Jake

Prop swinger
23rd Sep 2013, 00:38
(I'm assuming you mean NPPL, not LAPL.) Have at look at licence allowances from the NPPL website (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/). You will see that BGA GPL holders get a large reduction in minimum training hours for both NPPL(SSEA) & NPPL(SLMG).
Fromthis SLMG I know after 75 hours you can get it upgraded to a TMG rating. Ignore this, it's a red herring. SLMG is the CAA term for what EASA calls a TMG; when you apply for an EASA licence, SLMG will become TMG.

Yes, you can tug in a TMG with an NPPL(SLMG.)

TBH, with that many SSEA hours in your logbook I would just do the SSEA skills test & add an SLMG later. 10 hours of SLMG training + the skills test will cost £1000 to £1500, depending on the aircraft & location.

Jake-Matthews
23rd Sep 2013, 00:44
No I mean LAPL its the EASA NPPL replacement.

And many thanks for your help.

Jake

Whopity
23rd Sep 2013, 06:43
I agree with prop swingers comments but there are a few points to consider;
the experience you have gained must have been conducted at a Registered Facility if it is to count towards an EASA licence! Getting a SLMG licence (NPPL) will remain valid on Annex II aircraft, but will not be valid for EASA TMGs after 7th April 2015.

Training for a LAPL could only have been conducted at an ATO and I have not heard of anyone who has such an approval!

The NPPL SSEA route looks the best option, then convert to a LAPL.