PDA

View Full Version : Just curious : 23:45 very low a/c over West Cumbria

G&T ice n slice
17th Sep 2013, 23:23
Just wizzed overhead in the pitch dark and well below the clag.
I'd guess about 200' agl - came up from the s.w. & over Distington and then headed n.e. over Lillyhall landfill.

sounded a bit like a Tucano, was travelling pretty quick, but the silhouette didn't seem right for a Tucano. Also had a large non-flashing white beacon mounted in the tail end.

You chaps wouldn't be buzzing around at that time of night would you?

And I know, one can't correctly judge the height v. well, but you do usually zip the other way (N to S) over Lillyhall & down the valley (between me & the next door neighbour over the other side of the field) and then nip up over Pica & away, so I get to see you all whenever you're about and this chap was way, way, way lower than that - enuff to startle the dog & make him bark!

Cheers

G

p.s. this chap passed the "bloodyhell" test:)

SteveTonks
21st Sep 2013, 13:27
Don't think it would be a tucano that late or low.

To low fly at night you would have to be on NVG - again something the tucano doesn't do.

Probably would have been a C-130 if it was definitely a Prop at the hight you say - would have been 250' MSD (rad alt is set to 225' to stop it constantly going off at 250')

I don't thing we have any other prop low level NVG aircraft

Deepest Norfolk
21st Sep 2013, 14:50
Maybe it was an Osprey out of Mildenhall.

Dan Gerous
21st Sep 2013, 21:23
Exercise Chameleon traffic?

newt
21st Sep 2013, 21:28
Lost maybe?

Genstabler
21st Sep 2013, 22:21
A pair of RAF C130s flew low level over Helmsley, N Yorks, this afternoon at about 1530 hrs heading NE. And on a Saturday!

dkh51250
22nd Sep 2013, 00:22
Plus a Chinook in the Catterick area at 23.30

Tashengurt
22nd Sep 2013, 20:19
Heard the Chinook go clattering past Geordie land too. Noisy bugger!

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

taxydual
22nd Sep 2013, 20:54
Did you leave the upstairs landing light on, perchance? :)

gsa
23rd Sep 2013, 07:51
On Friday morning about 9.30 there was a very nice piece of low work from a Merlin going west along Wensleydale :ok:

CoffmanStarter
23rd Sep 2013, 11:47
Merlin going west along Wensleydale ...

Was he lying down at the time ?

CoffmanStarter
23rd Sep 2013, 11:52
Lost maybe?

Never !!! Temporarily uncertain of one's position surely :ok:

jayteeto
23rd Sep 2013, 12:03
22:30 last night a lowish level Chinook woke my daughter up (in warrington), thats going something!! Heard it coming for a good few minutes. Guessing Chameleon traffic?? Thank god I don't live near Odiham, that would pee me off if it was regular.

G&T ice n slice
23rd Sep 2013, 17:56
Sorry, been tied up with a bunch of rubbish (work stuff)

Anyhooo..

Silhoute reminded me very much of Bob Hoover's Shrike somehow. It def wasn't a C130, much too quiet!

I don;t know much about drones/UAVs? This had what appeared to be a "normal" layout - staright wings, single vertical stabiliser, low-set tailplane.

I guess it's going to be another one of those little mysteries!