PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, going for PPL.

Row10036802
17th Sep 2013, 19:15
Hello all,

My first post so go easy!

I'm looking to obtain my PPL starting in the next month or two. My ultimate goal is to fly some aerobatics, I had a flight in my friends Bulldog and this gave me the bug.

I would like to know your thoughts on how you people got your licenses?

Would you do anything different?

Any good tips and advice?

I will be training at Goodwood as it is just up the road from me.

Thank you in advance,
James.

Dash8driver1312
17th Sep 2013, 19:56
I just worked my butt off and spent every penny on flying, and spent my spare time going over pilots notes to learn more about the aircraft. I was cheeky with building the hours to the initial award, as my flight club charged by tacho hour, so on solo flights I would practice a lot if lie speed work. Low RPM settings=lower cost.

I also had an instructor who liked to "explore the envelope" on sorties. Make sure you get spin training carried out. It is not a requirement, but it is a)ridiculously fun and b)essential for unusual attitude recovery, if that's your kick!

BroomstickPilot
18th Sep 2013, 05:30
Hi Row,

I think Goodwood's very expensive.

Take a look at some others before you decide.

Good luck!

BP.

RTN11
18th Sep 2013, 09:00
Hit the groundschool hard.

Before you even start flying, start reading the books.

They have now changed the rules on taking the exams, so you have a limited number of sittings. People generally used to study the exams one at a time, and then take them when they were ready, so there would often be a month or more between exams. This will no longer be possible.

It's very easy to go along and do the fun bit of taking the flight, but you really need to work hard to get the exams out of the way, or it will limit you as your flying progresses.