PDA

View Full Version : More Fee's for LFMN

noneya
16th Sep 2013, 17:30
As part of a growing suite of noise- and pollution-control measures, France’s Nice Cote D’ Azur Airport will invest in the installation of a new underground power system that will reduce business jets’ dependency on auxiliary power units on the ramp. The system, the first of its kind in Europe, provides hatches under each aircraft engine start-up stand for access to a centralized power and heating/cooling system, greatly reducing the number of APU operation hours, as well as reducing exhaust emissions. The $2.7 million project is expected to begin this summer. The airport authority plans to impose a special fee on business aviation to fund such noise- and pollution-reduction projects. “In this way, business aviation will contribute solely to reducing the noise pollution it makes,” the airport authority stated in a release.

My understanding is the new rule will only allow 5-10 minutes of APU usage before departure.

Trim Stab
16th Sep 2013, 17:58
How is the heating/cooling system going to work?

Lord Spandex Masher
16th Sep 2013, 18:00
It warms things up when they're cold and cools them down when they're hot.

Trim Stab
16th Sep 2013, 18:07

Presumably you are not a pilot if you have such a shallow interest in technology.

Globally Challenged
16th Sep 2013, 18:22

Impressive - so part of the GPU hookup includes a total system redesign of our aircraft to replace the APU bleed air system we currently rely on for cabin temperature control on the ground.

Makes the apple thunderbolt 2 cable look pretty dated.

Lord Spandex Masher
16th Sep 2013, 18:49
Presumably you two have left your senses of humour elsewhere.

GC, do biz jets not allow conditioned air from a ground unit, what do you do if your APU bleed isn't working?

hingey
16th Sep 2013, 20:02
Don't know many King Air's with APU's. Are we going to be funding this project without access to the long term benefits?

h

Perfidious Albion
16th Sep 2013, 22:05
Spandex. No they don't. If the APU isn't working and it gets hot, so do we. If you are in a small cabin jet or turboprop you won't have an APU anyway - high summer and mid winter you will cook/freeze and be writing the tech log at night with a torch in your mouth. Oh, the glamour....

Most business jets start on electric power, not bleed air so a GPU or battery will do the job of getting the engines going if necessary.

Lord Spandex Masher
16th Sep 2013, 22:22
Cheers PA, what about something bigger, G5 size, for instance?

I find it hard to believe Nice would waste 2.7 million on something that nobody would, or could, use.

grafity
16th Sep 2013, 22:39
Presumably you are not a pilot if you have such a shallow interest in technology.

I'm an engineer and I had a good laugh at this one. :D Cheer up a bit, life is too short.:ok:

Perfidious Albion
17th Sep 2013, 00:37
Spandex,

Yes, if you are in heavy metal you might be able to avail yourself of this wonderful new facility. Take a look around the parking areas at Nice though. I'm guessing that maybe 70 percent of visiting aircraft won't be able to use it. Sounds like the authorities are still going to make them pay for it all the same.

It's the usual NIMBY south of France attitude. The rich and shameless want to fly in there in their private jets but don't want to be disturbed by their neighbours doing the same thing. The authorities of course, will listen to the well heeled minority that line their pockets. It's all for the good of the environment of course....

Trim Stab
17th Sep 2013, 10:39
centralized power and heating/cooling system,

My reading of that is that the system is more than just an underground GPU, and actually has some means of providing forced hot or cold air into the aircraft. If that were the case, it would be very useful indeed to all non-APU aircraft.

I'm an engineer and I had a good laugh at this one. It just came across as puerile and unoriginal to me.

hairspray
17th Sep 2013, 12:01
It warms things up when they're cold and cools them down when they're hot

Lord spandex.. Wasn't lost on me mate, made me chuckle. :D

EMB170
17th Sep 2013, 12:11
how many business jets go to Nice when it is cold? :ugh:

CL300
17th Sep 2013, 13:14
Nice does not nothing about Bizjets, at all... If something is in service at Kilo, i bet it will 400Hz, and an Air Con nozzle that will fit an Airbus..
Running 28v along taxiways and such, taking into consideration the various location of GPU sockets is an engineering monster in itself, plus the quasi non-existence of Air con external plugs on GA airplanes. I see it as a good laugh next time a very well trained yellow man ( plus the inevitable blue men AKA gendarmerie) will try to use these devices.

Please , NICE, prove me wrong !!!!:cool:

Tray Surfer
17th Sep 2013, 15:20
I was wondering about ground air inlets on private metal. As already stated, I would have imagined BBJ/ACJ and bigger would have them as standard as conversion from regular metal would suggest... But was not sure about what else would/could have them.

Out of interest, do they come as standard on anything such as Falcon/Global?Challenger/GS etc...?

I disliked flying into NCE on commercial service... Doubt I will enjoy it if I ever fly there on private service either.

Grum
19th Sep 2013, 09:08
You can attach external air to the Falcons and this will give you air-conditioning. . . . . . so maybe it's only for French planes.

Capetonian
19th Sep 2013, 09:12
I find it hard to believe Nice would waste 2.7 million on something that nobody would, or could, use.

Then I fear you fail to understand the mentality of the French under Komrad Hollande. They have to do something with all the tax money.

Gulfstreamaviator
19th Sep 2013, 10:52
It is not conditioned air....

glf

CL300
19th Sep 2013, 12:19
Grum You can attach external air to the Falcons and this will give you air-conditioning. . . . . . so maybe it's only for French planes.

Through with system ? If I may ask ?

deefer dog
19th Sep 2013, 17:01
Please tell me also! At 70 euros per 15 mins for a GPU at LFMN I would expect it do do that, but quite how is a mystery!

I guess Cannes will soon be busier again.

Edit: London ****ty was a joke until they recently upped their game due to complaints vociferously voiced here. Perhaps the excessive charging of services, catering and handling at Nice should now be the target of our wrath? Only joined up action will bring about change.

Grum
23rd Sep 2013, 20:50
CL300 & GLF

You attach the huffer to the external air inlet and ask for 50psi. You already have the GPU connected for electricity. Now the plane works exactly as if you have the APU running. The aircon works as normal. When you engage start the air is redirected to the airstart and the aircon shuts down.

The book implies it works but is vague. I asked at all the recurrents and no one could answer the question. But after one week with a U/S APU, it became apparent that the aircon works just fine with air from the external airstart inlet. All you are doing is filling the main gantry with pressurised air just like the APU bleed. :ok:

CL300
24th Sep 2013, 05:25
so you are running a diesel engine of an ASU in order to try to run the ACM of the A/C pack... hmm interesting, but the AirCon nozzles for ground A/C are low pressure high volume type with a hose that have a 15 inches diameter.. where do you stick it ? entry door ? baggage compartment ?
How do you redirect the flow to your cooling drawers ?

ASU, GPU....what else ? then you have a slot to meet... and how about your hydraulic tests ?

Kilo Apron at LFMN is a total failure on the operators side. IHMO

Grum
24th Sep 2013, 09:16
Ok relax.

I did not say we sat with the ASU running to give us aircon. IF you attach the ASU to the external start inlet, (don't worry yourself about baggage doors etc) hey presto, the Aircon works.

I am not saying the LFMN idea is a good one.

So give me a break. I've shared a little nugget of information, free of charge ;) take it or leave it.

PURPLE PITOT
24th Sep 2013, 11:53
Buy a GLEX, then they won't let you park on K. Simples!:ok:

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Sep 2013, 17:32
Replacing the caravelle restaurant.

I hear that it was for Monaco's jets.

glf

CaptainProp
24th Sep 2013, 18:20
Passed through Nice the other day and was told by reliable sources that this entire idea could very well be scrapped. Apparently changes in airport management and now more bizjet friendly going forward. Wait and see I guess...

CP