PDA

View Full Version : The big thread on celebrities that are pilots.

AdamFrisch
13th Sep 2013, 19:40
We all know the usual suspects:

John Travolta - multiple ratings, multiple planes.

Harrison Ford - owns a Beaver and a Bell LongRanger and also some private jet.

Clint Eastwood - owns a Eurocopter Squirrel.

Morgan Freeman - used to own a Beech Baron, but stepped up to the sleek Swearingen SJ30 business jet a couple of years ago. Owns one of the few flying.

Tom Cruise - owns a Mustang and apparently some other aircrafts, as well.

Arnold Palmer - famous golfer has been a pilot for decades and frequently flies his jet himself.

Kris Kristofferson - US Army helicopter and commercial pilot, don't know if he still flies.

Angelina Jolie - UK PPL license then either FAA converted or issued on the basis of. Owns a Cirrus SR22 and a Cessna Caravan 208B.

Sydney Pollack - this great director (Tootsie, Three Days Of The Condor etc) owned and flew a Citation 550 before he passed away a couple of years ago.

Dennis Quaid - owns and flies a Citation 500.

Kurt Russell - owns and flies a TBM850.

Jimmy Buffet - singer has been a pilot for decades.

Jay Kay - the Jamiroqui front man is a licensed helicopter pilot.

Nick Mason, David Gilmour - members of Pink Floyd are avid pilots.

Bruce Dickinson - we all know him.

But here are some that you might not know are pilots:

Gisele Bundchen – the mega supermodel learned to fly helicopters a couple of years ago.

Brad Pitt - apparently Angelina Jolie made him take his license so they both could fly the planes they/she owns.

Anthony Edwards - that's right, Goose from Top Gun pretty recently learned to fly and flies a Cirrus SR20 or 22.

Edward Norton - this is straight from the horses mouth. I landed in Peoria, IL one night and the FBO guy who booked me a hotel for the night, said he'd helped Edward book a hotel about 3 months earlier. He'd flown in pretty late in the evening in a C182.

Robert Zemeckis - the successful director has over 1600hrs and is an instrumet rated pilot. Don't know if he owns a plane, but I'm sure he does.

Please add to list if you know any good ones.

Ulster
13th Sep 2013, 20:08
Sir Alan Sugar (is he a celebrity ?) misjudged the approach to Barton (EGCB) a few years back, and ended up slightly bending his Europa.

cumulusrider
13th Sep 2013, 20:27
The top gear duo
James may has a ppl and hamster has a ppl(h)

foxmoth
13th Sep 2013, 20:46
Sir Alan Sugar (is he a celebrity ?) misjudged the approach to Barton (EGCB) a few years back, and ended up slightly bending his Europa.

Pretty certain it was a Cirrus:ouch:

Just to add of course a certain lady that is proposing to fly round the world!

flyingpony
13th Sep 2013, 20:48
Both Alex James and Dave Rowntree of blur have (at least) PPL(A) with MEP

Maoraigh1
13th Sep 2013, 21:33
Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger - both fixed wing and rotary.
(Now retired - Very well known by his title before retiring.)

RedhillPhil
13th Sep 2013, 22:34
Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger - both fixed wing and rotary.
(Now retired - Very well known by his title before retiring.)

A real sky pilot then.

TRY2FLY
13th Sep 2013, 23:04
Yer man, he used be a lib dem MP and was throwing a leg on one of 'The Cheeky Girls' for a bit. Lembit Opik or something like that

chevvron
14th Sep 2013, 01:54
Tom Cruise was a frequent visitor to Farnborough in his Gulfstream 4 N328KC. As the 'K' stood for 'Kidman' he probably doesn't own it any more.
Never heard of Bruce Dickinson; is he famous?

India Four Two
14th Sep 2013, 02:07
Jimmy Buffet - singer has been a pilot for decades.

He owned a Grumman Albatross :ok:

Great descriptions of his flying experiences in his autobiography " A Pirate Looks At Fifty"

PS He was once asked to do a concert on an aircraft carrier. His response was "Yes, if I arrive in a Tomcat."

Dan Winterland
14th Sep 2013, 02:42
Two Brits: Michael Gambon pilots his own aircraft. and Martin Shaw (of ''The Professionals" fame) is a keen pilot and has presented a couple of TV programmes about flying.

John Denver was a fairly experienced pilot - but that didn't end well. Ditto for Jim Reeves.

m.Berger
14th Sep 2013, 06:02
Gambon is famous for telling tall stories. He isn't on Ginfo.

thing
14th Sep 2013, 06:49
Gary Numan, 80's popster, flew round the world in a Harvard or something like that.

Dave Lee Roth-clattercopters

The late Patrick Swayze-mep

Both George Bush senior and Dubbya have CPL's.

Edit: I think DJ's Mike Smith and Noel Edmonds are clatter pilots, seem to remember Mike Smith crashing one some years ago.

LysanderV8
14th Sep 2013, 07:17
Del Boy, David Jason PPL(H) and Joe Pasquale PPL(A)

N707ZS
14th Sep 2013, 07:48
Gary Newman flew around the world in a Pa 31, trashed it somewhere and had the remains cut in half and mounted on a wall in his house.

ak7274
14th Sep 2013, 07:48
I have a LAPL and am a legend in my own mind. Also famous in my house. Love the fixation on celebrity. Anyone watching big brother?

Jetblu
14th Sep 2013, 08:20
Nicholas Lyndhurst - "Rodney" Only Fools and Horses.
(Goodwood)

Roger Whittaker - Musician.
(Stansted)

I have flown with both. :p

Ulster
14th Sep 2013, 08:33
Has anyone mentioned Carol Vordermann ? Has she got a licence yet, or is she still learning ?

Jonzarno
14th Sep 2013, 08:47
Jonathan Agnew from Test Match Special.

In reply to a question in an earlier post: Bruce Dickinson is famous for having belonged to the same fencing club as me for a number of years. I think he also has something to do with a band called Iron Maiden :)

fwjc
14th Sep 2013, 09:08
Michael Dorn - actor in Star Trek The Next Generation

There are more, just can't think of them right now.

stickandrudderman
14th Sep 2013, 10:06
Wilbur and Orville. The list goes on and on from there.

I really don't understand this obsession with celebrity.

magpienja
14th Sep 2013, 11:12
The late Hughie Green used to pilot his own C337...still remember the reg from my spotting days as a kid a t Manchester..G-ASLL

Mark Evens the TV vet has a PPL.

A well know black footballer who's name escapes me has a PPL H...I'm sure somebody will know who I mean,

Doesn't Chris Evens???

superq7
14th Sep 2013, 11:42
Stan Stennet

Bet you youngsters have never heard of him,much loved Welsh comedian and all rounder had his own light twin back in the day he's still around aged about 85 now.

F4TCT
14th Sep 2013, 12:04
Chris Evans does, PPL(h) I believe.

Also believe Michael Owen, the footballer has a PPL(h)

The late Colin Mcrae....

Jurgen Klinsman... (h)

Tom Fletcher (from the mcfly band) is either a PPL or learning...

Some other band member mentioned in this months pilot mag aswell.

John seargent has some sort of flying experience also I believe.

George Bush - cpl, not really a celeb though is he, more of a knob.

Blues&twos
14th Sep 2013, 12:13
I remember reading in a tabloid newspaper, following Mike Smith's helicopter crash in the late 80's that Sarah Greene (who I think was his girlfriend at the time) was "pulled from the wreckage of Mike Smith's chopper". Caused some amusement for a teenage me.

Legalapproach
14th Sep 2013, 12:43
Stan Stennet also had a V tail Bonanza in the early 80's based at Swansea

strake
14th Sep 2013, 13:02
Don Maclean ( not the singer, the comedian and Crackerjack presenter).
PPL (A) PA28-180. I know, because I bought it from him...

Jonzarno
14th Sep 2013, 13:07
George Bush - cpl, not really a celeb though is he, more of a knob.

George Bush Junior: I agree!

George Bush Senior: flew combat in WW2, was shot down in the Pacific and rescued by a US submarine.

foxmoth
14th Sep 2013, 15:06
Has anyone mentioned Carol Vordermann ? Has she got a licence yet, or is she still learning ?

She was my earlier reference about "a certain lady"

Talkdownman
14th Sep 2013, 15:58
Hughie Green got shot at most sincerely by MiGs when opportunity knocked whilst flying his C310 along (or outside...) one of the Berlin corridors...

thing
14th Sep 2013, 16:09
Yes, many people have regretted their poor marksmanship...

pulse1
14th Sep 2013, 18:05
I am amazed to see that Stan Stennet is still alive. I can remember laughing so much it hurt at a pantomime when I was a kid. In keeping with the thread I also flew in a Lycoming powered Auster which had been owned by him.

cumulusrider
14th Sep 2013, 18:29
Derek Piggot
Author and stunt pilot in The Blue Max, Those magnificent men in their flying machines. etc
He was still flying earlier this year well into his 80s

LysanderV8
14th Sep 2013, 19:06
I remember seeing Stan Stennet at Haverfordwest a couple of years ago. He'd flown in from Swansea. I reminisced with him about the many times I had met him in 1967-8 at Speke Airport along with Hughie Green. I was working in the flight briefing room. They were both very professional as far as I could see. Happy days!

abgd
14th Sep 2013, 20:55
Bill Gates - took on flight simulator to help himself learn instrument flying. Kennedy junior.

manix-cs
14th Sep 2013, 21:13
Martin Brundle - helicopter
David Coulthard - helicopter
Mark Webber - helicopter student (at Duxford I believe)

Noisy job, noisy hobby :)

Fly-by-Wife
14th Sep 2013, 21:27
Former footballer Les Ferdinand is a helicopter pilot, and goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann has a PPL.

Niki Lauda was a commercial pilot, may still be flying. Graham Hill was another F1 pilot, as is Jack Brabham.

FBW

BEagle
15th Sep 2013, 06:45
Martin Shaw (of ''The Professionals" fame) is a keen pilot and has presented a couple of TV programmes about flying.

Lewis Collins (a.k.a. 'Bodie' of 'The Professionals') was also a PPL holder - he did some flying with us at the Covert Oxonian Aerodrome and was quite happy to muck in with all the normal jobs such as refuelling and putting the aircraft away.

By all accounts, the lads on the gate were a bit surprised when he turned up though....:)

F4TCT
15th Sep 2013, 09:28
Nigel Mansell aswell,

He flies (or used to) his own jet.

Union Jack
15th Sep 2013, 10:05
Fergie - the female version - gained a PPL(H) in 1987.

Jack

Shawrey
15th Sep 2013, 10:59
Nick Mason, David Gilmour - members of Pink Floyd are avid pilots.

David Gilmour also owns a museum at North Weald if I remember correctly.

John R81
15th Sep 2013, 13:32
And I'm half-way there. Just need to become a celebrity now :cool:

Ulster
15th Sep 2013, 13:55

Rather surprising to hear that Hammond has any kind of licence, after the dreadful jet-car accident in which he sustained severe head injuries. The risk of fits increases significantly after such injuries, and normally precludes any kind of flying.

FlyingOfficerKite
15th Sep 2013, 15:36
I (think I) remember Chris De Burgh booking out at Coventry airport one night many moons ago?

J.A.F.O.
15th Sep 2013, 15:49
Quote:

Rather surprising to hear that Hammond has any kind of licence, after the dreadful jet-car accident in which he sustained severe head injuries. The risk of fits increases significantly after such injuries, and normally precludes any kind of flying.

Doesn't count for the H licence as you have to have sustained some form of head injury in order to want to play with those foul, hydraulic palm tree thingies. People who cling on while their machines beat the air into submission aren't really pilots, are they? :E

As for celebrity pilots: Sailor Malan, Christopher Foxley-Norris, Geoffrey Page, Douglas Bader, Max Aitken, Harry Broadhurst and, on this day, the rest of the Few.

Auster Fan
15th Sep 2013, 17:46
Martin Shaw (of ''The Professionals" fame) is a keen pilot and has presented a couple of TV programmes about flying.

Martin Shaw flies out of Old Buckenham in his L-4 now that his Stearman has moved elsewhere. Dr Jonathan Palmer (ex racing driver) who owns a series of motor racing circuits I believe also has a licence.

John R81
15th Sep 2013, 19:05
Mr Palmer does but don't tell J.A.F.O as it is the dreaded "H" variety. CPL(H)IR.

Recently upgraded from AS355NP to AW109S Grand, as I understand it.

John

Pom pom
15th Sep 2013, 19:43
I believe Jonathan Palmer once used his own helicopter to rescue a child that had fallen into a lake close to a racing circuit. I think it was post his F1 driving days but during the time he attended all the Grands Prix as a television commentator. :D

Joe'le'Toff
15th Sep 2013, 20:38
Barney Gumble has a PPL(H).

Tinstaafl
15th Sep 2013, 20:46
The late Graeme "Shirley" Strachan, of the Australian rock band 'Skyhooks' held an Oz PPL(A) and was training for a PPL(H). He was killed in a helicopter accident in 2001 during a solo navex.

NASRI9
15th Sep 2013, 21:37
F1 driver Eddie Irvine - helis.
George Kennedy (a.k.a. Joe Patroni of the Airport movies).
James Doohan (Scotty).
I'm sure I saw a newsclip years ago of Ian Botham taking some lessons.
Christopher Reeve when he wasn't using his superpowers.

Not so sure about this one but I think Larry Olivier learned to fly to try to get into the RAF during WW2?

piperboy84
15th Sep 2013, 22:35
James Doohan (Scotty).

Yeah but Scotty was never left seat, I believe he was in charge of doing the annuals and fixing the deflector shields in less time than was alloted in the manufacturer specs

Noah Zark.
15th Sep 2013, 22:48
The late, gorgeous actress, Ingrid Pitt, ( :\ ) had a student PPL at some stage in her life.

Cusco
15th Sep 2013, 23:22
Noddy and Postman Pat both have licences, Noddy PPL(A) P Pat PPL(H) (might even be CPL(H)

m.Berger
16th Sep 2013, 00:53
Not forgetting Gromit, James Bond and Pussy Galore.

First_Principal
16th Sep 2013, 01:42
Not sure if he's a pilot per se but I think I saw Jenson Button on here somewhere...

...and while the Australian's may have various opinions as to whether he's a 'celebrity' there's always Dick Smith (who beat the air into submission all the way around the globe IIRC).

FP.

abgd
16th Sep 2013, 05:39
Jenson Button may or may not be a pilot, but Jenson_Button wasn't Jenson Button.

jxk
16th Sep 2013, 06:29
Oh, you are awful not to remember Dick Emery; he was re-validating his PPL at Southampton/Eastleigh circa 1976.

garrya100
16th Sep 2013, 08:31
I'm a legend in my own lunchtime..... :}

Morris542
16th Sep 2013, 10:07
A few members of the Royal Family.

cockney steve
16th Sep 2013, 10:12
remember Dick Emery
I always thought that was a Victorian remedy for the Clap :}

Evanelpus
16th Sep 2013, 10:20
Didn'y SKY F1 man Ted Kravitz fly himself to the Belgium Grand Prix recently?

If he didn't, it looked real!!

Dave Gittins
16th Sep 2013, 11:48
I remember when I was at Luton in 1998 - 2001 a frequent JetRanger visitor was G-DOFY. Apparently it was previously owned by Sarah Ferguson - Dutchess of York.

Pom pom
16th Sep 2013, 12:38
Ah, I had forgotten the great Dick Emery - he waved at me and smiled on the apron at Blackpool many moons ago as I taxied past in a 152. Made my day. I think he owned a Bonanza.

Also, Will Hay was a pilot and owner in the thirties.

F4TCT
16th Sep 2013, 15:26
Danny Glover - film star.

STATSMAN
16th Sep 2013, 18:49
Noddy Holder(SLADE) in the 90's had a share in G ROAR C401 I Think? Last saw flying a chippie at Barton late 90's

flyinkiwi
17th Sep 2013, 02:25
Here's an obscure one, former lead guitarist of 1980's metal band Queensryche Chris DeGarmo is now a Corporate Bizjet pilot.

85mel
17th Sep 2013, 07:56
in Come Outside Come Outside - Crisps - YouTube she flies, and Pippin the dog loves it!

Red Chilli
17th Sep 2013, 15:18
Eddie Izard.

PPRuNeUser0173
17th Sep 2013, 15:37
Ricky Parfitt of Status Quo used to fly at Fairoaks in the seventies. He owned a Piper Warrior 151 G-BDZX for a while.

rafmatt
17th Sep 2013, 19:11
David Gilmour did used to have aircraft at North Weald under the name Intrepid Aviation. But sold most of it off and moved about 13 years ago.

josher
17th Sep 2013, 20:03
nobody mentioned Jimmy Edwards - Auster pilot and I think Kings Cup air racer when I was a lad

magpienja
18th Sep 2013, 09:05
Racing driver Graham Hill...think it was a PA23 Aztec he used to fly.

Cunliffe
18th Sep 2013, 12:27
Jimmy Edwards - Dakota pilot in WW2. Told the story that he was one of the first across the channel on D-Day but got lost. Had to turn round and head home thus causing chaos among the aircraft still heading for France.

Don't forget Norman "on yer bike" Tebbit. BA FO?

Newforest2
18th Sep 2013, 13:20
Roger Whittaker (New world in the morning) used to fly himself down to Kenya where he was born.

gpugh
18th Sep 2013, 13:29
Dick Emery also used to own a Chipmunk many years ago, I remember seeing it at Plymouth

superq7
18th Sep 2013, 13:36
Jamie Whitham

Motorcycle racer he's got two light aircraft and his family own an airfield up north somewhere, top bloke.

john ball
18th Sep 2013, 13:45
Jim clark the racing driver, Colin Chapman of Lotus both owned Piper Comanches in the 60's, both the single and twin versions.

Christopher Reeve used to come down to the Tiger Club in his slightly tatty Triumph TR6, wearing very casual clothes. He used to fly the Tiger Moths and Stampes. Always ammused me that he would sit in the club room, totally incognito -- most of the people did not know who he was.

Later on he starred in a documentary film about the Tiger Club ---- does any one have a copy ?

Sultan Ismail
18th Sep 2013, 15:13
A fellow with a touch around a golf course has a Grumman Gulfstream. Lives in Florida and made a one-stopper in Helsinki to visit me in the Beach Club.

India Four Two
18th Sep 2013, 16:21
Later on he starred in a documentary film about the Tiger Club ---- does any one have a copy ?

Yes, I've got that film on VHS - remember those? Unfortunately, it's in storage in Canada and I'm in Vietnam!

It's a great film and it's on my list to convert to digital as soon as my stuff is out of storage next year.

patowalker
18th Sep 2013, 19:19
Don't forget Norman "on yer bike" Tebbit. BA FO?

Meteor and Vampire in the RAF.

flyinkiwi
18th Sep 2013, 22:08
How could I not mention New Zealands most famous celebrity pilot, All Black Captain Richie McCaw? Flies gliders and both fixed and rotary wing.

m.Berger
18th Sep 2013, 22:39
Ron Haslam flies microlights, flex and 3 axis.

Fly-by-Wife
18th Sep 2013, 22:49
Talking of rugby, the Underwood brothers, Rory and Tony, were both pilots - Rory in the RAF and Tony with an ATPL - first with EasyJet and now with Virgin, I believe.

FBW

IFMU
19th Sep 2013, 01:32
I believe William Shatner earned his private glider rating at the Schweizer Soaring School. I believe the Schweizers mentioned other celebs but I don't remember them.
Bryan

northbynorthwest
19th Sep 2013, 02:55
Ted Dexter, former Sussex and England Captain, had a Cessna. Either a 182 or a 206 from memory.

Teldorserious
19th Sep 2013, 06:30
I'd be a little cautious about detailing 'he flies his own jet' or some such nonsense. There is a huge difference between a guy that sits in the cockpit with his corporate pilot and a guy that flies himself around...or actually flies somewhere vs stays on the ground when the weather is iffy.

I mean I know airline pilots that won't go anywhere unless they are in an Airbus, so how far do they do in their C172,

No real threat of celebrities flying around their jets...takes years to get there and it's not happening so far on any real basis with out babysitters to 'help' them get around.

treadigraph
19th Sep 2013, 06:39
Leonard Nimoy owned and flew a Bonanza.

Steve McQueen had a whole bunch of vintage aircraft as I recall.

J.A.F.O.
19th Sep 2013, 11:09
The authors Max Robberts and Jasper Fforde are both keen private pilots.

jxk
19th Sep 2013, 17:44
Is the OP going to collate all this information for us?

Also, I believe Adam Faith started to learn to fly a helicopter not sure if he completed.

m.Berger
19th Sep 2013, 19:14
And Antoine, don't forget Antoine.

VP-F__
19th Sep 2013, 22:28
Chesley Sullenburger

flybymike
19th Sep 2013, 23:20
I recall Adam faith stating in an interview that he got his licence in order to prove to himself that he could do it, but thereafter he never really pursued any further flying.

Tay Cough
20th Sep 2013, 01:44
Steve McQueen is still flying allegedly. His ashes were scattered from his Stearman and not all of them left the aircraft..... :ooh:

Dan Winterland
20th Sep 2013, 03:06
Sean Bean did a PPL before his role as a Captain in 'Flightplan' to research the job, and to overcome his fear of flying.

sverige
20th Sep 2013, 17:07
Ariel Tweto and Craig Ferguson.

jxk
20th Sep 2013, 17:47
Michael Crawford (Frank Spencer) in 'Some mothers do have them' took some flying lessons - does this count?

ShyTorque
20th Sep 2013, 22:02
I recall Adam faith stating in an interview that he got his licence in order to prove to himself that he could do it, but thereafter he never really pursued any further flying.

Possibly because he crashed whilst flying solo (but of course he survived).

Fishtailed
20th Sep 2013, 23:37
Jamie Whitham

Motorcycle racer he's got two light aircraft and his
family own an airfield up north somewhere, top bloke.

His dad owned Crossland Moor twenty years ago. Jamie now is a commentator for ITV on British Superbikes. Steve Parrish, who is a commentator for the BBC on Moto GP, owns a Cessna. He raced in the seventies along side Barry Sheene, who flew helicopters. (Now HE was a real celebrity)

John R81
21st Sep 2013, 00:57
Try List of aviators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aviators)

Scroll down to 'other famous figures'

rkgpilot
21st Sep 2013, 17:39
Roald Dahl - Hurricane pilot WW2

Alex James (Blur bassist; Cheesemaker)

Edit: Whoops - just noticed Alex James already mentioned on page 1 :O

So I'll add James Martin (chef) instead.

Them thar hills
21st Sep 2013, 20:13
I recall that Jasper Carrott used to have a Fuji FA200...

Genghis the Engineer
21st Sep 2013, 20:26
Leonard Nimoy owned and flew a Bonanza.

And was in Bonanza.

Hairy Biker Dave Myers flies flexwings I believe.

G

martello
22nd Sep 2013, 19:16
Sorruy
If I missed it but has anyone mentioned Ewan MacGregor and brother Colin? Former trainspotting actor latter Tornado pilot?
Anyway all this guff about celebrities .... Well what have the Romans ever done for us?
The list so far contains a lot of Americans and given the freedom of USA its not surprising they take to the skies in a big way (Travolta) but James May and AlanSugar are interesting because they do it for similar reasons to us. I was in Bembridge a couple of months ago and Alan S was there having a cup of tea. Wonderful Britishness none accosted him. At Denham J May frequently is in and out and again the fantastic British respect means he is not mobbed in any celebrity way. I thoroughly applaud this native reserve but I do wish such celebrities would lend a hand to help roll back some of the serious government pressures on GA which would prefer you didn't fly more than 10k from your home field and even then would want you to fill in forms in triplicate

piperarcher
23rd Sep 2013, 12:35
I thoroughly applaud this native reserve but I do wish such celebrities would lend a hand to help roll back some of the serious government pressures on GA which would prefer you didn't fly more than 10k from your home field and even then would want you to fill in forms in triplicate

Someone who hasnt been listed I dont think (and depends on your definition of the word "celebrity"), and may be your man, is Grant Shapps, who as well as flying a Saratoga, is the chairman of the UK Conservative party. There have been postings here and elsewhere about the governments red tape challenge, which I think Grant was 'chairing' on behalf of GA. Not sure what or if anything became of that.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Sep 2013, 12:47
I do wish such celebrities would lend a hand to help roll back some of the serious government pressures on GA

Every hobby has political and legal issues troubling it. I imagine these folks would mostly like to just enjoy their hobby like the rest of us.

Lembit Opik was one who did do as you suggest - I'm not sure it did anybody, least of all him, any good.

G

AN2 Driver
24th Sep 2013, 12:47
Harrison Ford does a lot for AOPA.

And I fully agree. If some of those people stood up for aviation openly it might help a LOT. People are like that, they flock after famous people like lemmings. Some of them use this to the advantage of the hobbies they love, which is certainly what I'd do if I had the chance. Not too many people have the public exposure to make a real difference, but these people do.

What bugs me is that some of them seem to be almost ashamed to be part of the flying community... why I wonder.

Instead it can help both with public perception (if xxx flies small planes, they can't be that bad, can they?) and with recruiting youngsters to the flock. Those who have done things like that, usually report it is a very satisfying experience.

I did hear that a well known German comedian once got asked by the flying club at his local airfield to openly take sides in a dispute with the local tree huggers. He had stayed out as he tought that his contribution could actually damage the cause, but when he did enter, he managed to get the whole issue dismissed in one evening. THAT is the kind of thing we need in todays hostile anti GA world.

AN2 Driver
24th Sep 2013, 13:11
Carlo Pedrosoli, better known as Bud Spencer, was a very active GA pilot, both fixed wing and helos. He also founded an airline (Mistral Air) which he sold on later and which exists to this day. Apparently he became interested in flying after a movie where he portrayed a pilot and subsequently took up training, first for helicopters and 2 years later for fixed wing planes. I believe he owned and flew a Jet Ranger and a King Air.

I once saw an interview with his then movie partner Mario Girotti (Terence Hill) who related that Pedrosoli had not told anyone that he had made his license between some movies and then scared the living daylights out of them by flying a Jet Ranger during the filming. Apparently he also did most of the flying involved in some later movies. I was also told that in his time he was quite active in Italian GA at and around his homebase Napoli.

Don't know if he is still flying, might be too old by now (he is almost 84 years old).

flybymike
24th Sep 2013, 15:40
I seem to remember that Dale Robertson was a very accomplished pilot but I think he is now deceased?
Also Nicki Lauda (spelling?) founded his own airline but I have no idea whether he flew personally.

captain_flynn
24th Sep 2013, 18:27
Niki Lauda flies his own Global Express, I think.

flarepilot
24th Sep 2013, 19:03
flybymike:

; at one of the first reno air races I saw Dale Robertson taxi up in his own plane.

also

fellow actor, but not related, cliff robertson, was also a pilot..doing some unusual things too.

Craig Ferguson, of the late late show is a pilot...I even sent him a book about flying which he may or may not have received.

journalist and documentarian, Miles O'brien, now of PBS and NOVA and Frontline...used to be with CNN...covered destruction of Columbia...he owns a cirrus and has enough time to have an ATP.

BigEndBob
24th Sep 2013, 19:17
Dick emery has been mentioned. I'm sure on Parkinson he said if he hadn't entered the Entertaining industry he would liked to have been an Airline pilot.

hoodie
24th Sep 2013, 20:42
Alex James (Blur bassist; Cheesemaker)

Blessed is he...

I am fairly sure that Donald Pleasence (yes, Blofeld), was a Bomber Command pilot. He was certainly a member of a crew shot down over Germany and became a POW. Life/Art interface there, given his role in 'The Great Escape'.

treadigraph
24th Sep 2013, 20:55
Cliff Robertson owned a Spitfire for many years and was a Tiger Club member, as was Dick Emery I think.

flybymike
24th Sep 2013, 23:05
That's it! I was indeed thinking of Cliff Robertson, not Dale Robertson. However, seems like all the Robertsons flew.;)

Haven't read the whole thread. Have we had Hughie Green?

MotCap
25th Sep 2013, 07:13
Thurmon Munson, New York Yankee catcher.

Cory Lidle, New York Yankee pitcher.

AdamFrisch
25th Sep 2013, 11:12
Wasn't it Lidle who flew his Cirrus into an apartment building on the East River side?

Jonzarno
25th Sep 2013, 11:22
Yes, it was Corey Liddle. Believe it or not with an instructor on the RHS...

northbynorthwest
25th Sep 2013, 12:51
I can remember eons ago seeing a documentary about the rock group, Cream. It briefly showed Jack Bruce, the bass player, flying a Cherokee 140. Some air-to-air shots from memory. This must have been in the early 70's, when Cherokees were being imported in droves.

john ball
25th Sep 2013, 13:38
I think Dave Clark of the DC5 pop group owned Robin DR400 G-BALH after it was sold from Sportair at Biggin Hill. I think I did the last flight in the aircraft before it was delivered to him in 1977.

F4TCT
25th Sep 2013, 15:26
forgot to add Jason Bradbury (presenter on channel 5 gadget show)

He is a PPL.

Cessnafly
25th Sep 2013, 20:01
Hey what about our very own PPRuNe ginger, one eyed, skygod.

Does he count as celebrity status? :ouch:

bigjames
28th Sep 2013, 06:18
for all you hockey fans, alex kovalev, formerly of penguins, rangers, habs and sens.

RedBullGaveMeWings
28th Sep 2013, 07:35
I think not many of you know Gigi Cagni, a famous football coach in Italy, is a PPL holder.

James 'Captain Slow' May flies airplanes and his colleage Richard Hammond flies helicopters.

Newforest2
28th Sep 2013, 08:25
And Jeremy flies his mouth off! :D

Ulster
28th Sep 2013, 12:18
his colleage Richard Hammond flies helicopters

Those two were mentioned much earlier in this thread ; still can't quite understand how Hammond is allowed a medical after the serious head injuries he sustained in his jet-car crash . . . . . . :=

Humaround
29th Sep 2013, 21:49
Richard Bach - author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull and many other excellent books about flying, has been an active pilot since the fifties, USAF Reserve, flew F-15s in France (see Stranger to the Ground), classic biplanes across America in the 60's and 70's, and owned a collection of interesting types.

Sadly last year suffered a landing accident in the Pacific Northwest, hope he's recovering, haven't heard anything recently.

(edit: apparently recovering well)

Thud105
30th Sep 2013, 22:50
Very much doubt Bach ever flew an F-15. Think the aircraft he flew in 'Stranger To The Ground' was an F-84.

gileraguy
1st Oct 2013, 23:23
F84-F for Mr Bach, sorry to get all pedantic. BTW he's recovered enough to be interviewed by AOPA and intends to rebuild the Sea Ray.

m.Berger
4th Oct 2013, 11:30
I did hear that Paul McCartney bought Heather Mills a plane as part of the divorce settlement...

but she'll still have to use a razor on the other leg.

flybymike
4th Oct 2013, 11:41
I heard it was part of the marriage proposal, just before he "went down on one knee."

F4TCT
4th Oct 2013, 11:42
Haha made my day that...

stickandrudderman
4th Oct 2013, 22:36
She had her licence revoked after being found legless...

cumulusrider
5th Oct 2013, 16:15
Neil Armstrong astronaught had a Libelle Glider in the 70s