PDA

View Full Version : Instrument flying validity

foxmoth
11th Sep 2013, 04:52
Not really need it much, but with the licence changes coming up need to get this sorted and wondering where I am. Had an IMC rating many moons ago, now got a full IR but on Airbus, FI(A) with the only restriction being "no night", where do I stand and what do I need to do - SE IR/ IMC test??

Whopity
11th Sep 2013, 05:44
I think you easiest option is to do a SP IR test, probably in a single, that will renew the SP IR also give you a IR(R). You can them keep the SP/IR current with your MP/IR based upon SP experience. As you have a current IR no problem doing the SP IR test.

foxmoth
11th Sep 2013, 07:08
That's what I thought.

ASRAAM
13th Sep 2013, 18:29
If you are currently using a UK rather than JAA ATPL it has built in IMC rating. When you change this to an EASA licence it may come back with an IRR rating with an expiry date, an IRR rating listed as expired or no IRR rating at all. I have yet to work out the logic behind this other than the fact the CAA are clueless.
You could also tick the box on the EASA ATPL form to keep uk ATPL (in addition to the EASA one), pay the hundred quid or so extra and that would give you an IMC rating valid for the life of the ATPL on non EASA aircraft and until next year on the rest.

Jumbo Driver
15th Sep 2013, 18:33
If you are currently using a UK rather than JAA ATPL it has built in IMC rating.

Correct - both IMC and Night Ratings.

When you change this to an EASA licence it may come back with an IRR rating with an expiry date, an IRR rating listed as expired or no IRR rating at all.

The only correct response from the CAA is to include a current IRR, with an expiry date which is 25 months from the date of issue of the new licence. This is set out in CAP 804 Part I, Section 5, Part E, Page 4, paras 3.3.3 and 3.3.4, which state:

3.3.3 UK National Professional Aeroplane Licence Holders
IMC Rating privileges are contained within UK CPL(A) and ATPL(A) licences; (this does not include JAR-FCL or Part-FCL licences). There is no requirement for a separate IMC Certificate of Test for these licences.

3.3.4 Part-FCL Restricted Instrument Rating
Where a licence containing a valid IMC rating or IMC privileges is replaced with a Part-FCL licence, the IMC rating privileges may be preserved as a restricted Instrument Rating. This will appear on the licence as IR (Restricted).
The privileges are the same as for the IMC rating. The use of the Rating is restricted to UK airspace. The renewal and revalidation requirements for the restricted IR are the same as for the IMC Rating.
IMC Ratings or privileges gained after 7 April 2014 are not convertible to restricted IR on Part-FCL licences.

Initially, the CAA had included an expired IRR on my converted EASA licence (from a UK ATPL). After some persuasion, and some extremely helpful AOPA involvement, the correct result was eventually forthcoming from the CAA - albeit in a plain brown envelope, posted second class, without any note or explanation, despite having paid for courier delivery.

You could also tick the box on the EASA ATPL form to keep uk ATPL (in addition to the EASA one), pay the hundred quid or so extra and that would give you an IMC rating valid for the life of the ATPL on non EASA aircraft and until next year on the rest.

I did precisely this and now, in addition to the lifetime EASA licence with current IRR, have a lifetime UK ATPL, with embedded IMC & Night privileges. The small extra cost (£35) was well worth it.

The whole frustrating process took just under 8 weeks ...

JD
:)