PDA

View Full Version : Passenger uses laser in cabin to burn seats etc.

Super VC-10
8th Sep 2013, 20:18
Incident: Sun Country B737 near Spokane on Sep 5th 2013, smell of smoke as result of passenger laser burning holes (http://avherald.com/h?article=4680579a&opt=0)

Thoughts please.

lomapaseo
8th Sep 2013, 20:22
The comments at the end of end are worthy of Jet Blast and say it all.

ExRR
8th Sep 2013, 21:56
Only a matter of time then before someone tries it on the fuselage at 30,000ft :mad:

ironbutt57
9th Sep 2013, 05:43
787 would be more difficult to burn through than aluminium one would suspect

TheChitterneFlyer
9th Sep 2013, 09:09
Thoughts please.

Ban the idiot from flying!

A and C
9th Sep 2013, 09:09
The only compensation is the idiot with the laser would be plugging the hole he had made !

Herod
9th Sep 2013, 15:22
The only compensation is the idiot with the l@ser would be plugging the hole he had made !

Brilliant!! ;)

911slf
9th Sep 2013, 15:41
I always carry a small torch in hand luggage following an embarrassment one holiday when I had to find and remove my hold luggage from an unlit compartment in a bus in order to stop it sailing up the Nile without me.

When I bought the torch, an option, which I rejected, was to have a closely similar model which had a laser pointer incorporated. Hard to see how such a thing could have been detected by security. I hope the malefactor gets a salutary penalty and this is widely reported. Had a flight attendant delivered physical chastisement at the time that should have been a matter for congratulation.

ExXB
9th Sep 2013, 15:45
It's an 'arm' isn't it. I suppose he has a constitutional right to bear it irresponsibly.

MathFox
9th Sep 2013, 18:04
How did the guy get this device past the TSA?

TWT
9th Sep 2013, 18:10
He distracted them with a cheese sandwich which they confiscated no doubt.

Pugilistic Animus
9th Sep 2013, 19:32
A complete muppet:rolleyes:

EEngr
10th Sep 2013, 15:23
This does raise some interesting issues about baggage checks and security. While this device might not be considered a weapon, it certainly is a hazardous device and probably should not be allowed in carried luggage. But how are security personnel expected to identify the hazard potential of articles carried by SLF?

For one thing, this device was clearly not labeled per ANSI/IEC regulations. I suspect it is a class 4 l@ser, but the labeling requirement extends to all l@sers, even the low power pointer types. There are also other applicable safety certifications (UL/CE) that may apply. Although not foolproof, one idea would be to disallow the carrying of non labeled electrical devices. Home brew electronics should certainly be restricted to checked luggage. And packed without batteries, or disconnected.

I don't really have a good answer for this, but I imaging this incident will motivate the TSA to formulate a new batch of regulations.

Una Due Tfc
10th Sep 2013, 19:58
He may have built it himself. Google "Blu Ray Laser"

I don't know why it changed the "A" to a @

lomapaseo
10th Sep 2013, 19:59
I carry lasers onboard when I travel as matter of normal travel.

Let's not tell TSA how to do their job.

ocnus
11th Sep 2013, 15:45
Perhaps a laser vasectomy woud cause him to remember that endangering people is antosocial and would help clean the gene pool at the same time.

EEngr
11th Sep 2013, 15:56
I carry lasers onboard when I travel as matter of normal travel.

Probably a relatively harmless (Class 2) pointer. And properly labeled as such.

He may have built it himself. Google "Blu Ray Laser"

I've built a few of those myself. But there's not way I'd expect to carry one of those onto an aircraft cabin. Let alone any of my other home-brew electronics. The TSA screeners would have no idea of what that stuff is or whether it is dangerous.

I expect the TSA to consider some new rules based on this incident. Its a loophole that appears not to have been considered. I'm just trying to second guess what they might propose.

peakcrew
13th Sep 2013, 20:33
@Una Due tfc: The article in the original link says "On Sep 7th Authorities reported the FBI arrested a passenger who had brought along home built 1aser devices ..." It is entirely possible that the TSA wouldn't necessarily have spotted such a thing, depending on how it was packaged.

I can't think what the loon thought he was doing ... utterly incomprehensible! Now we'll have to see what new over-reaction the airline security jobsworths come up with ... :suspect: