PDA

View Full Version : Flying in London *area*

VORTIME
5th May 2002, 17:59
Hello!

I'm travelling to London on the 27th July to visit Farnborough. Any tips on airports, easy routes there?

Anyway, I haven't flown much other than C150/C152/C172 etc as the country in which I live doesn't have a plentlyful supply of GA aircraft. While in the London area, can anyone suggest differnet types and locations (preferably from controlled airports - trying to build expeirance!!) where one might fly differnet machines?

(p.s. a Cirrus/Lancair/Commander etc would be a dream come through!)

Thanks again :)

Genghis the Engineer
5th May 2002, 22:41
For clubs, look at

http://www.flyer.co.uk/directory/index.php

And to work out which counties you're interested in (Farnborough is in Hampshire by the way)...

http://www.bugbog.com/maps/europe/british_isles/england_wales_counties_map.html

Best of luck. If you've got a non JAA ICAO PPL, CPL or ATPL, that qualifies you to fly UK registered aircraft day-VFR in UK airspace only, regardless of ratings. And could I apologise on behalf of the United Kingdom for the cost of aircraft hire, please just take my word for it that it's not the clubs extorting money from you, it's the government extorting money from the clubs.

G

FNG
7th May 2002, 06:30
The controlled GA airfields near London (eg Southend and Oxford) tend to have few interesting aircraft based at the fields . Wycombe is an exception in this respect: there are Tiger Moths and a Chipmunk there. For loads of Tiger Moths, Cubs, Yaks, Cap 10s, and a variety of wacky types old and new, try White Waltham (uncontrolled, and all the better for it). Many interesting types to see at North Weald, but not so many to fly without local contacts.

As for swanky modern aircraft, I don't think that there are any Cirrus aircraft in the UK yet, and I am not aware of any Lancairs available to rent (aren't they permit types, or am I confusing them with Glasairs?). For fast things with bendy undercarriages and buttons to press, you might enquire at Oxford.

andrewc
7th May 2002, 09:34
There are at least half-a-dozen SR-2x's in the UK,
my SR-22 is based at Cambridge with another in the
south-west...thinking of organising a UK fly-in later
in the year,

-- Andrew