PDA

View Full Version : Gliding allowances uk

Flyboy47
6th Sep 2013, 20:31
Hi, I am about to start learning to glide, and I was wondering what I can do with the A solo badge, can I hire a glider, or do I need more badges. Also if I can hire a glider can i only go solo or can I take friends and family with me, cheers?

phiggsbroadband
6th Sep 2013, 22:06
Hi, the first thing you need to do is find a cub near your location, then ask them about all the things that puzzle you at the moment.
Most clubs have a fleet of gliders that they 'hire out' to pilots. Obviously two seaters whilst you are learning with an instructor, then single seaters after you have gone solo.

I think that you need to qualify as a Basic Instructor before you can take passengers, unless the passenger a is qualified glider pilot.

As for taking club gliders off site, for a competition for example, this would be up to each club rules, if it was possible.

astir 8
7th Sep 2013, 16:17
The gliding A badge proves that you survived your first solo. Nothing more. The Bronze C is effectively your licence at present (but European regulation is about to change that).

You will not be allowed to fly out of gliding range of your airfield until you have the Bronze C and Cross Country endorsement (which proves that you know something about air law etc and have a reasonable chance of landing a glider in a field without damage to yourself or the glider.

Effectively you are "hiring" a club glider every time you fly it, but within the limitations above. Certainly you wouldn't be allowed to take one off site without a Bronze C etc. The Chief Flying Instructor's word is law, no right of appeal.

Flying friends, family etc. varies considerably between clubs and is at Chief Flying Instructor's discretion. Bronze would certainly be a minimum requirement and some clubs do not allow flying non-pilots (or even flying with another pilot) unless you have some form of instructor rating.

dsc810
7th Sep 2013, 18:18
Many clubs require an instructors rating for passenger carrying for (amongst other reasons) one of insurance.
If the P1 is a BGA rated instructor then they will be fully insured and it's all 'sorted'.
If however the P1 does not have such a rating then in the event of an accident the P1 may well be personally liable for any claims against them by the passenger or indeed from third parties on the ground as the club may not have insurance to cover this.

It also makes it a lot easier if P1 is an instructor as they can then let the passenger handle the aircraft's controls wheras I think non instructor pilots holding a club issued passenger carrying rating may not be allowed to permit this - partly because if they do then it becomes de-facto instruction by the P1.