PDA

View Full Version : "The Leans"

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Sep 2013, 15:42
Never happened to me.

Should I be worried? - if my brain is going to stop working I think I'd rather it had happened dual. Or am I safe from it having got through the IMCr course?

englishal
6th Sep 2013, 15:54
I think the term is "trust your instruments"...then I think you might be ok...;)

Cobalt
6th Sep 2013, 16:04
Sorry to say, but you are not safe from vertigo... although you are probably safe when it hits.

You probably experienced a bit of "mini-leans" at the beginning of the IMC training - the illusion of turning when in the climb, the illusion of flying straight and level in a prolonged turn etc. etc..

You then got over it by trusting the instruments, in particular the AI, and developing your scan. You probably barely notice it now.

When real vertigo hits you and you feel your head is spinning (in my case, over 100 hours after getting my IR) you have to go back to basics, do only the most fundamental scan (AI, turn coordinator, airspeed) to convince yourself that the aircraft is in control. Make sure that your AI actually works, though...

Reverting to straight and level helps, although that might not be an option depending the phase of flight. Just keep things nice and stable until vertigo subsides.

How much time in your training did you spend in actual IMC?

Johnm
6th Sep 2013, 16:04
This is no laughing matter.:eek:

If flying in solid IMC you will one day get it and you must be prepared. You'll need to cross check your instruments, trust them if consistent and if inconsistent find out which is lying and ignore it double quick.

You will find that your whole body is screaming at you to do the thing that will kill you. It's a very unpleasant feeling and it takes some minutes flying straight and level and utterly focussed on instruments to recover from it.

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Sep 2013, 16:59
How much time in your training did you spend in actual IMC?
Whenever we could find a cloud we flew in it (apart from the unusual attitudes stuff). And I did a fair amount of my G1000 differences training in cloud - after all, I was going to spend that time looking at the screen anyway.

Probably three or four hours in actual IMC.
When real vertigo hits you and you feel your head is spinning ... you have to go back to basics, do only the most fundamental scan (AI, turn coordinator, airspeed) to convince yourself that the aircraft is in control. Make sure that your AI actually works, though...
Yes, I'd worked out that scanning the AI and the TC should tell me whether the instruments agreed with each other ... whether I'd get it right for real would be another thing of course.

Cobalt
6th Sep 2013, 17:10
Yes, I'd worked out that scanning the AI and the TC should tell me whether the instruments agreed with each other ... whether I'd get it right for real would be another thing of course.

Don't forget airspeed! If that is stable around cruise speed [or climb speed, as appropriate], nothing bad is going to happen soon - except for CFIT...

In a G1000 plane, you are MUCH better off - other than a failed vacuum gyro which just topples (and before it dies completely, can mislead you badly), you get the big red cross. If you still see the attitude, you are pretty much guaranteed that it is accurate.

In a vertigo situation behind a G1000, I would trust the PFD after a quick cross check with the standby gyro.

englishal
6th Sep 2013, 17:54
I remember getting the leans flying a DA42 back from the Miramar airshow at night. It was cloudy, dark, bumpy and raining. And it was quite bad. But trusting the instruments and it was not really an issue, just an observation. You also might get it worse if you have a slight cold or something going on with your ears.

tmmorris
7th Sep 2013, 11:26
I get it occasionally. Most common and unhelpful time is levelling out after the base turn on a procedural approach - just when I'm trying to correct to the centreline and look out for the FAF. Happened at Gloucester last week.

Never had serious vertigo, though - that sounds extremely unpleasant.

dont overfil
7th Sep 2013, 14:07
I've had it a couple of times in the first few minutes IMC in a Piper. It was not a serious bout, just a compelling need to turn left. I reckon the curved glareshield was a factor. I usually fly a Cessna with a flat glareshield.

D.O.

mad_jock
7th Sep 2013, 20:40
Strangely I have never had vertigo badly while flying...

But I have had hugely once or twice while scuba diving.

its always been linked to clearing my ears. Especially when I thought they are clear then I used a nose pinch instead of just flexing my jaw and you can feel the air rushing into them. The only thing to do was hang onto the shot line and wait for it to settle.

AbzAv8r
7th Sep 2013, 23:06
Only had it once in 500 hours of flying, on take-off and steep turning climb out on a moonless night over open water so no visual references, with a slight head cold.

Horrible sensation, but as earlier posters have said, trust your instruments.

Croqueteer
8th Sep 2013, 07:32
If you get it bad, don't worry about the performance instruments, just concentrate on keeping the AI in the level flight position, that is assuming that you have power set. Trust the AI. If it decides to fail just as you got the leans, it is just not your day!

IFMU
8th Sep 2013, 13:43
Early in my instrument training I often had the leans. Helped me to learn and trust my instruments. Better to experience it in training than for the first time in single pilot IMC!

thing
9th Sep 2013, 14:39
Not had it yet but did have a brain fade moment in cloud once. My attention was diverted by something for probably only four or five seconds and when I looked back at the AI I was in a 30 degree left turn. Oops I thought, no probs so I applied left aileron...then when the AI went the wrong way the message hit home and I recovered.

Time was probably about two seconds, it seemed like two minutes and I can still clearly remember the 'WTF is happening' feeling. It isn't nice.

Lesson learned: don't get diverted by anything, fly the bloody aircraft.

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Sep 2013, 21:22
My attention was diverted by something for probably only four or five seconds and when I looked back at the AI I was in a 30 degree left turn.
Yes, that happened to me once. The "distraction" was the examiner on the IMCr test insisting on being shown in more and more detail exactly where I thought I was on the map ... which he clearly did entirely on purpose to demonstrate to me what happens if you take your eyes off the instruments.

BEagle
9th Sep 2013, 21:42
As that old film used to advocate:

Recognise vertigo
Accept vertigo
GET ON GAUGES!