PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Blooper ?

CoffmanStarter
5th Sep 2013, 19:58
A first class recommendation from BEagle :D:D:D:D

Had to wait until the Birthday present arrived this week :ok:

BRITISH PHANTOM PILOT
For even more nostalgia, I recommend the phollowing DVD, which includes:

Intro: Includes lots of carrier shots of UK Phantoms phlying from the USS Saratoga.

Phantom Pilot (1973, 39 min): RAF phlying training via. Biggin Hill, Henlow, Church Phenton, Leeming, Valley and TWU to Coningsby.

Oversight (1976; 25 min): Made using real actors, a good account of sqn pressures on groundcrew and the resulting loss of a Phantom due to insecure wing pins.

Low Flying Training (1971; 23 min): Really ham stuff! It was replaced by a less awphul 'Low Level Navigation' philm a phew years later.

Phinally, a composite of various US Phantom clips entitled 'F-4 Phantom USA' made in 2008.

Available from all the usual sources - just enter the post title into your search engine.

Mercifully, only about 15 sec of clattercopters - and I don't think I spotted anyone wearing pongo pyjamas either....just blues, overalls or phlying suits.

Whilst watching the second of the films ... "Phantom Pilot" ... towards the end, when "Chris" became operational on 54 Squadron, but before the Singapore detachment, this grabbed my attention ...

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/PH01_zpsa93472f7.jpg

It would appear to show the front cockpit integral steps part extended in flight at low level. Was this a common occurrence on the F4 ? Would there have been any indication in the cockpit ?

Best ...

Coff.

wub
5th Sep 2013, 20:04
Many moons ago the RAF Calendar featured a photo of a Hawk flying with the step extended. I wrote to Wg Cdr Spry and claimed a prize for observation and received a gracious reply but no prize!

BEagle
5th Sep 2013, 20:04
It was a requirement to check the steps during pre-start:

Steps......Up, pin protruding.

Rhino power
5th Sep 2013, 20:29
Seen a pic of a USAF F-4C getting airborne with them fully extended! :eek:

-RP

Dan Gerous
5th Sep 2013, 20:35
Got a slide somewhere, of a Hawk over Spade with the step out.

CoffmanStarter
5th Sep 2013, 20:48
Thanks chaps :ok:

Also, same film, some strange footwear on show ...

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/PH02_zpsd9a19681.jpg

They certainly don't look like my old black calf grabbers ... DMS in the front and white trainers in the rear if I'm not mistaken ... No ankle/calf blast protection :eek:

scorpion63
7th Sep 2013, 18:00
Think you will find the white bits are the bottom hems of the Air Ventilated suit which was ill fitting at best.

CoffmanStarter
7th Sep 2013, 18:18
Thanks S63 ... Happy to stand corrected ... Cheers :ok:

Something like this ...

http://www.historicflyingclothing.com/myarchive/951.jpg

howiehowie93
7th Sep 2013, 23:53
One of the OCU Tooms at Coningsby was always dropping its Ladder on Take off - ended up with a big patch of Speed Tape over the kick in doors and the bit where the ladder stowed to stop it happening - weak catch spring or something.

Always had to have at least a Front Ladder knocking about on see in - though Intake / Wing / Sgt Fletcher sliding was always popular.

I think there was a speed limitation if it was down ??

regards
H

Chris Kebab
8th Sep 2013, 10:54
...not that you would have known from the inside however.

Courtney Mil
8th Sep 2013, 16:29
I remember this one. Max speed with the ladder extended is 400 Kts!!! Not bad.

You would only know it wasn't locked in the up position it you checked the inticator on the left console/front cockpit, your No2 told you, you felt the vibrations (although you'd be unlikely to know what what was causing it) or when it bloke off and went down the left engine (which would only have been very slightly above 400 kts if it were fully extended).

I have come back from a sortie with a boarding ladder that had become partially extended (similar to the photo). I don't know at what point in the sortie it had become unlocked, but we had certainly been well over 400kts - because we could! :ok:

:ok:

CoffmanStarter
8th Sep 2013, 18:10
bloke off and went down the left engine ...

Bl00dy hell Courtney, I'll bet that's quite a grip your Flight Line Mechanic would have needed at 400 Kts to hang on to the ladder :}

NutLoose
8th Sep 2013, 19:16
I remember the US display team photo of old that had the old lever to arm the seat and you can see it set at safe.

Courtney Mil
8th Sep 2013, 20:00
Coff,

not my fault. Raptop made in Japan. :ok:

howiehowie93
9th Sep 2013, 00:21
Your NATO Standard Liney was rated to 800Kts.

Real Live FLMs considerably more.......................