PDA

View Full Version : UK RT procedures

Jinkster
5th May 2002, 11:29
After doing my PPL and some hour building in Florida my UK RT procedures are pretty rusty. I have read most of CAP 413 but I seem to learn voice commands (such as RT) using a cassete tape or CD.

Is there any available to buy?:confused:

28thJuly2001
5th May 2002, 15:41
There is a cassette called Radio Telephony available from www.pilotwarehouse.co.uk priced £12.95.
I used it for my RT Practical exam.
Walt,,

AerBabe
5th May 2002, 16:29
Either that, or get a big mug of tea, and sit in your clubhouse listening to the radio :) That's how I practised, although it depends on where you're flying from. Obviously Coventry is fairly busy, so the RT will be ... if you pardon the pun ... flying back and forth.

BRL
5th May 2002, 16:37
I think you can listen to live atc on the internet. Not sure what the sites are but i am sure there is some about if you do a search.

White Shadow
5th May 2002, 21:09
Don't know any UK RT sites on the internet, but for some interesting stuff try -
www.atchelp.com/hear_live_atc.shtml
JFK New York, live, amongst others.
Regards
WS

GoneWest
5th May 2002, 21:26
Jinkster,

There are tapes on the market - but they tend to be crap...the ones I have are even WRONG.

I don't see much point in listening to USA R/T (which is almost a contradiction in terms) when trying to learn the UK procedures.

If you really have read (and learned) CAP413 - I would suggest the best bet would be a few hours groundschool at your local club.

If they don't already offer such a programme - start one. Go find an ATC'er (advertise for one on pprune???) and get them to do a couple of evenings.

White Shadow
5th May 2002, 21:35
Also - www.squawkident.com/livefeed.html
A recording of ATC handling arrivals at Oshkosh is in there somewhere, in the Chicago O'Hare link, I think. Interesting comparison with Cranfield...
None of this much use for UK proceedures, though.
WS

SteveR
5th May 2002, 21:40
I think it's the accursed Wireless Telephony Act which stops UK ATC traffic being available to all.

How do we get it changed? I can see massive benefits, and only a few downsides.

Steve R

Evo7
6th May 2002, 06:38
I was just about to buy this (http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/product9023.html?session=11122373732534) tape when I read GoneWest's post

There are tapes on the market - but they tend to be crap...the ones I have are even WRONG

so I'd be interested in hearing any other thoughts. I know that they are likely to be out of date, given the tendency for CAP413 to mutate each year (although the 2001->2002 changelist is very small). However, they seemed like a useful thing to stick on in the car on the way to work - but not if it's crap and/or wrong...

GroundBound
6th May 2002, 13:03
For live ATC feeds try,

live atc feeds (http://www.futurastudios.com/atc/)

GoneWest
6th May 2002, 13:45
Evo...don't know that one.

To be fair - it probably has to be worth a go...next you are grounded for bad weather, spend the money you have just saved on a copy of the tapes ....... and a subscription to AIC's.

When I say the tapes are wrong - there were a couple of duff calls...but nothing that would get you shouted at (well not in a loud voice, anyway)...and even that is preferable to the stuff you may have learned in the USA.

Go on...do it....you'll learn something at least.

Evo7
6th May 2002, 14:35
Alternatively, anyone used the OATS RT tutor (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/shop/vfr_uksupp.htm)? Expensive :eek: but looks quite comprehensive...

GoneWest
6th May 2002, 17:42
Evo - I didn't want to advertise (because I have no first hand knowledge of the product) but a colleague - who knows more about UK R/T than anyone else I know - thinks very highly of the Oxford product.

Need I say more??

Evo7
6th May 2002, 20:07
Thanks, GW :)