View Full Version : Working two TMAs on one screen

waxo
31st Aug 2013, 12:05
Hi there. Just wondering if any ATCOS on this forum work at a centre where working two TMAs at the same time on one scope is required?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Aug 2013, 12:54
You probably need a special graphics card and, oh yes, a lot of validations to do that!

ZOOKER
31st Aug 2013, 16:27
Unless it was a short-term emergency situation involving, say, a radar failure at one of the TMA control centres, no-way.

M609
31st Aug 2013, 17:55
At Bodø ATCC enroute sectors work some underlying TMAs as well as the enroute sector. When enroute sectors are bandboxed, so are the TMAs.
Some of the TMAs are split from the enroute sectors at peak hrs. All the controllers are both APS and ACS rated.

Low density traffic enviroment but still.

Glamdring
31st Aug 2013, 20:05
Slight tangent here but kinda related...

Can a UK APS rated controller work a TMA sector at either Swanwick or Prestwick? Or is an Area Rating required?

Ninja Controller
31st Aug 2013, 20:23
They tried that once about 6 or 7 years ago, Glamdring. None of them successfully validated on a London TMA sector. I'm not sure if the Regulator still gives approval.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Aug 2013, 20:47
I'm not sure what APS means but if you mean Approach Control then, yes, when I was at TC at least two Heathrow Approach controllers were valid on TMA (S), maybe more. (Derek Rham and Al Barnes for any oldies on here).

Warped Factor
31st Aug 2013, 21:09
They both had area ratings in addition to their approach ones though, else like the rest of us approach controllers who don't they wouldn't have been able to do the TMA sectors.

There are currently some volunteer area controllers training on LHR approach with more being sought. If they don't already have approach ratings they have to go to the College to do the course.

10W
1st Sep 2013, 15:36
We have two scopes in front of a single controller who works 2 TMAs when sectors are combined. Mostly during the night shift.

waxo
1st Sep 2013, 15:43
They want us to do it 24hrs. During the day both TMAs gets infested with VFR trainers and IFR trainers as well as a moderate flow of IF Jet traffic during the day. The airfields are 155nm apart... Safety issues coming up me thinks...