PDA

View Full Version : LAA reduce fuel costs for members

Rod1
30th Aug 2013, 11:28
LAA and WARTER Aviation reduce fuel costs for LAA members

LAA and WARTER Aviation reduce fuel costs for LAA members (http://ukga.com/news/view?contentId=31508)

Rod1

cockney steve
31st Aug 2013, 11:50
A standard drum is 205 litres...so they have a bit of expansion room!

Do the petroleum licensing regulations not apply to Avgas?
Many will be aware that ordinary Motor spirit has strict rules on container-size, handling and storage.
NO WAY do you get to store over 150 litres of petrol on unlicensed premises.

Great idea, inferno waiting to happen, imho.

rgsaero
31st Aug 2013, 18:05
Indeed Steve!!

I can foresee some "interesting" insurance claims and not just from the "owner" of a 200L drum of fuel. Very few hangars are insured for the storage of fuel, other than that contained in aircraft tanks, and neither are domestic garages, in case anyone thinks of keeping it at home.

A big risk for a (potential) saving of about 3%.

Maoraigh1
31st Aug 2013, 21:43
As a Tesco mogas user (our local stuff passes the CAA test) I'm not interested. I know of a group who will be - especially as the price is for it delivered to their site, which is about 100 miles north of Perth.

cockney steve
31st Aug 2013, 23:19
Very few hangars are insured for the storage of fuel, other than that contained in aircraft tanks, and neither are domestic garages, in case anyone thinks of keeping it at home.

That's what I'm getting at! it is actually illegal to store more than, IIRC, ~40 litres, split between not more than two approved containers, each of a max. capacity.......ZZZZZZZ.

That applies under the Petroleum spirit licensing regs.....even my cellulose and thinner was legislated and had to be in an approved storeand a max. quantity applied.....that was a commercial motor trade premises with underground tanks,3 petrol pumps and one diesel....even the type, size and volume of customer's cans was regulated.
Next time you fuel your road-vehicle, make a point of reading the instructions on the pump, re-filling a container.

Although the regulations are widely flouted, a licensing officer "could" shut down a premises....not good if you've got £50,000 sitting down the hole :eek:

Hence my curiosity as to there being a dispensation for avgas to avoid the regs.

Echo Romeo
1st Sep 2013, 10:03
I emailed them with a couple of queries concerning storage, and for a quote for delivering the minimum quantity. They haven't even answered my enquiry :confused:

cockney steve
1st Sep 2013, 17:58
it's the same as having a small bowser sat outside for your own use.
there's a bit of difference between an overgrown tin can and a double-skinned, wheeled bowser.:p

Cows getting bigger
2nd Sep 2013, 07:19
Has anyone actually got an exemplar price for the stuff?

Rod1
2nd Sep 2013, 10:37
Visited their stand at the rally. The “tin can” is a double skin bunded solution with all the approvals for uk storage. You do need a licence but they will assist you with this and in most cases it is not an issue (according to them). This does not come across as some fly by night organisation encouraging people to brake any rules – it appears to be a solid attempt to get avgas to strips. Did not ask about price, but when they get back from the rally I assume pricing will be easily obtained.

Rod1

cockney steve
2nd Sep 2013, 15:21
@Rod1. thanks for that info. this would account for the reduced capacity in the drum.....it aint a "drum" it's a portable bunded tank that lookslike a drum:D

@ F900dx there's a world of difference between storing Diesel or paraffin (all lumps as "fuel oil" and Petrol/ Avgas.
UK storage regulations are strict on the storage and distribution of the latter...As Rod confirms, you do need a license to store a largish quantity...as with bottled gas, the regulations become quite onerous once you're over the "domestic" limit.
I'm sure the fire-brigade would not be best pleased to answer a shout to a suburban semi, only to find 30-odd gallons of highly volatile fuel...presumably the container has a fusible safety-plug...otherwise it's a potential bomb. (much more dangerous when empty,as the fumes are explosive...as with underground tanks, full to the brim is safest!)-we had to chain and padlock the fill and dip-tubes even though the average thief wouldn't have a set of keys to lift the manhole cover anyway!
A bund is simply a posh spillage catcher...usuallyhas ~20% bigger volume than the bunded tank.

Rod1
10th Sep 2013, 18:02
Just got the price - £1.84 pl (inc Vat)- delivered

Rod1
Edit re VAT