PDA

View Full Version : New here, just joined....

Stewie1982
29th Aug 2013, 13:38
I couldn't find anywhere here for introductions....
Anyway, I've just joined the forum and thought I'd just do a quick hello!!!
My name is Stewart, 31 years old and currently driving an artic for one the major supermarket on nights and thinking about doing my PPL with the ultimate aim of eventually flying commercially.....
I've got to airfields close to me that have flying schools - Popham and Blackbushe.

flybymike
29th Aug 2013, 15:38
Welcome to the forum. You will soon learn to sit down, shut up and do what you are told...;)

Stewie1982
29th Aug 2013, 15:46
Just like where I am now then lol
Piloting is one aspect of aviation that I'm looking at, would like to do something airside or maybe in ATC......

superq7
29th Aug 2013, 16:08
It's alright Stew he's only joking, if you want some fun try JB ( jetblast )

Sir George Cayley
29th Aug 2013, 19:49
Stew, welcome - I'm always filled with hope to hear of someone giving flying a go.

This forum is like all the rest; good bad indifferent or ugly. You'll soon spot the players but roll with any punches and remember you have a vast Encyclopędia at your fingertips so just ask. (But do a search first as you are unlikely to find a question never asked)

Some of us live vicariously through others endeavours so some updates from time to time will feed our habit.

SGC

Stewie1982
31st Aug 2013, 14:27
I'll be popping down to Blackbushe on Sunday to talk to a flying school there, and get an idea of costs etc

Plainchox
2nd Sep 2013, 17:33
...Also, Goodwood have got an open day/open weekend on 5th/6th October, they have a flying school there. You could have a look at their website - it's not that far from you.

Blues&twos
2nd Sep 2013, 18:50
And something else you'll learn is that there is never one answer or common ground to what you might think is a no-brainer question.
"Should I attempt to land with my eyes shut?"
Will elicit at least fifteen different opinions. All of them absolutely correct, of course.

thing
2nd Sep 2013, 18:52
Welcome aboard Stewie!

John R81
2nd Sep 2013, 19:25
Welcome

And go for Helicopter - much more versatile than driving a plank. Quite cool to drop into a restaurant / hotel, park on the lawn for lunch then lift back home.

Enjoy:ok:

Johnm
2nd Sep 2013, 19:43
Go to forums.flyer.co.uk and select the student forum and you'll get good advice. In particular regular poster Sir Morley Steven is an instructor at Blackbushe and Irv Lee is at Popham and is a highly experienced instructor examiner.

Welcome to aviation have fun!

mary meagher
2nd Sep 2013, 22:16
Aw, Stevie, 8 replies from petrol heads, and nobody mentioned gliding?

It is a very economical way to understand the basics; a one day course in October at my club (Shenington) would set you back £125. with at least six launches, professional instructor. Many professional pilots started by gliding, many still enjoy the sport when not being airbus drivers...

Or you can spend a lot of dosh getting a private power license, and then what do you do with it? mortgage the house to cover professional training, only to discover that jobs just now are scarce indeed.

chevvron
3rd Sep 2013, 01:48
They have microlights at Popham and they work out cheaper than gliding, especially when you look at what you would pay at Lasham.

cumulusrider
3rd Sep 2013, 21:32
Not sure that microlights are cheaper than gliders once you are cleared cross country.
In a Discus club glider - launch £35.50 soaring cost £37.20/ hr max 2 1/2 hrs chargeable.
So a 2.5 hr flight would cost you £131.50 after that it is free! A typical soaring flight on a summers day can easily be 5+hrs Ok you have to join the club as well.
The expensive bit is the training.
If you would like to visit Lasham and have a look at the setup I would be delighted to show you around. PM me

BroomstickPilot
5th Sep 2013, 05:05
Hi Guys,

While I agree wholeheartedly with what you say about the many delights of gliding and microlight flying, this is not what Stewie1982 wants.

If you read his first post, he is interested in ultimately going commercial and these categories of flying will contribute little to that end.

Once he's flying his Airbus, then will be the time to take up gliding or microlighting to remind himself what real flying was all about.

Regards,

BP.

Stewie1982
7th Sep 2013, 05:07
Cumulusrider, I'll drop you a pm a bit later when I've been to bed for a few hours :ok:
Broomstickpilot, it may not be what I want, but gliding sounds fun!!!

Kelvin_C-J
8th Sep 2013, 19:22
Hi Stewie,

New member here myself.

My two cents, having done some gliding and some GA flying:

Gliding - much more like 'natural' flying - no noisy fan on the front (or rear!) yet unless it is thermic or you can find sources of lift - a typical flight is around 5-10 minutes.

GA flying - you can stay up longer, not as thermic dependent (some microlights will thermal quite nicely) - not quite 'like the birds' as gliding but I would argue in terms of flying - you get more out of it (while you may have to plan to be landing every few minutes, that need not be the actual case - as it may be with gliding).

Generally - gliding is more of a club / community scene - unless you have a motor glider, you won't be able to go flying on your own.

However - as noted by others - neither of those will get you where you would like to be commercially.