PDA

View Full Version : EASA Licencing!

Daveanne
28th Aug 2013, 13:47
Looking for some guidance here please, if anyone can help?

I have a Pre JAR UK PPL(A) with an SLMG endorsement, I haven't flown any other aircraft since gaining the licence except SLMG's (now called TMG).
I am also a Glider Pilot and Full Category Instructor.
I have an RT licence and have been classified as Level 6 for English language.

Both Licences are current and I have a valid EASA (JAR Class2) medical in force.

I have spoken to the CAA and have been told that I can:

a) Apply for a EASA PPL(A), providing I carry out 1 hours "Demonstrate the use of radio navigational aids" with an Instructor, or I can apply for a LAPL(S) via the BGA and stil fly TMG's as I do now.

Question: Applying for the LAPL(S) via the BGA is the easiest path, because all I have to do is supply all my evidence fill in the form and send it off to the BGA, (with the appropriate fee, of course), who are now authorised to convert Gliding Qualifications to Part FCL licences.

However am I losing some future priveleges that the new EASA PPL(A) would give me going forward? i.e. can I add to my LAPL(S) if I wanted to, say take lessons in a Cessna and add it to my licence?

See where I am driving?

Hope someone can answer my question?

Best Wishes to all

Dave

Whopity
28th Aug 2013, 15:45
Dave,

Stay on the high ground and get an EASA PPL with both SEP and TMG Class ratings. It will cost a little more but once done you can keep both SEP and TMG privileges simply by flying the TMG. You will not be able to add the SEP to a LAPL (S) and will probably cost you more in the long run.

One question re the original UK PPL, was it Group A and SLMG or a PPL (SLMG)? I have assumed the former. All you need to do is a Class rating test in a SEP where you demonstrate the use of Nav Aids on the same flight.

kestrel539
28th Aug 2013, 17:43
As you need to get the LAPL(S) to carry on flying and instructing on gliders,you may as well put the TMG rating on the LAPL(S), will not cost you any more if you do it on initial issue.
Advice I have received recommends also getting an LAPL or PPL for the TMG.
you will need this ( LAPL or PPL ) if you want to fly anything with a donkey up front.
You only really need a SPL or PPL If you intend flying outside of EASA land, or want to be paid for glider instructing.
See the latest advice on the BGA web site.
You cannot put a Group A ( to use the old terminology ) on the LAPL(s) or SPL
Cheers
Ian K

Daveanne
28th Aug 2013, 18:00
No thats my point my original licecnce is a PPL(A) SLMG not SEP.

Dave

Prop swinger
28th Aug 2013, 20:00
First of all, if you plan to maintain an EASA Class 2 medical, get an SPL, not an LAPL(S). The SPL allows you to be paid to instruct, the LAPL(S) does not.

Put the TMG on the SPL, it doesn't cost any extra so put it on.

The question that remains is do you want to apply for an aeroplane licence as well? If you don't, you will lose the right to fly EASA aeroplanes (excluding TMGs) as P1 after April 2015. You cannot fly SEP aeroplanes on a sailplane licence.

The current advice is that PPL licence conversions will continue beyond April 2015 so if you want to fly SEP again, eg be a tug pilot, you can convert from CAA -> EASA after April 2015. If you do, make sure that you add the TMG as well so that your TMG hours count towards revalidating the SEP rating.

Whopity
28th Aug 2013, 22:18
No thats my point my original licecnce is a PPL(A) SLMG not SEP.CAP 804 simply refers to the conversion of a PPL (A) and does not specifically mention PPL (SLMG). If you go for the EASA PPL with TMG rating, then it will be very simple to add a SEP Class to it, you cannot do that with either a SPL with TMG or LAPL(S) with TMG. Ultimately, you will need two licences to fly SEP and sailplanes but, go for the deal that gives you the most.