PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man

85mel
28th Aug 2013, 09:01
Are there any places to land apart from Ronaldsway? The handling fees are a killer! Had a great day there yesterday though!
Would be coming from Northern Ireland.

OhNoCB
28th Aug 2013, 11:55
As far as I know handling is no longer mandatory if you park on the south side (GA side). The only problem this seems to present to people is getting transport. Speaking not from experience but from others' tales, if you want a taxi to the main terminal they are reluctant to come round to the south side for the small fare, but if you are going into Douglas etc. it shouldn't be a problem. I believe if you ring the tower upon return they will send someone to let you back through the gate. Landing fees last I know are invoiced by post.

You do also have Andreas in the north of the island. I have never been there. It is more out of the way if you want to go to Douglas and I have heard that the surface conditions are bad.

A and C
28th Aug 2013, 19:36
If you have not walked the strip at Andreas don't go, it's workable fr those who know it but if you don't it will end in tears.

flyingfemme
30th Aug 2013, 16:00
Killer fees? You don't get out much, do you?

Rendezvous, on the South Side, charge £25 for a small single. That's pretty reasonable for an international regional with full ATC, ILS and lots of tarmac.

asitwas
30th Aug 2013, 16:19
Andreas I do not think accept visitors any longer if you don't know it it is very rough. Handling on the south side is not mandatory but you are very out on a limb, at least Rendezvous I believe are trying to get the charges down by working with the airport, that remains to be seen.

A and C
30th Aug 2013, 17:39
You are quite correct that Andreas no longer excepts visitors for the very reasons quoted above. The runway is indeed very rough.

I see Andreas as an example of the Manx governments economic shortsightedness the curent owners can't afford to resurface the airfield but would very much like to keep it running. The airfield did bring a lot of revenue to the Island but this revenue goes into the local taxis, hotels & resteraunts NOT the airfield owners. In short the whole Island economy would benifit from Andraes running as an airfield because it will attract the type of flyers who would not go to Ronaldsway.

The cost of resurfacing a strip of both the runways 20 m wide by 800 m long and adding a bit of hard standing would not break the Manx Govenments bank and would be an investment that would last thirty years, the north of the island would see a modest but sustained increase in business over this period.

Unfortunaly there are very few politicians with the farsightedness to take on such a project, these days it is all short term thinking and Proffit rather than statesman like investment in the future to benifit the future generations.

In short the Manx should not let this airfield go the same way as the wonderful railway system they had and are now wishing they had not wrecked.

flyingfemme
31st Aug 2013, 11:03
I'm interested in Andreas.....
AandC, you don't receive PMs. Maybe you could message me with some more details?