PDA

View Full Version : Hunter or Provost ??

Jenson Button
27th Aug 2013, 16:55
Folks,
I'm looking for someone in the uk who provides
Warbird experiences in something like a Hunter or a Provost.
It's got to be in the Uk. I'm not flying there anymore and don't have a feel
for the current GA scene, so would appreciate your thoughts. This is for a
mates 40th.

Thanks
Jb

GrassRootsFlying
27th Aug 2013, 17:13
Hunter Flight Academy (http://hunterflightacademy.com/)

riverrock83
28th Aug 2013, 10:53
Newcastle Jet Provost (http://www.spanglefish.com/newcastlejetprovost/index.asp?pageid=147463)

A group of PPL(A)s local to me have arranged a visit from them to Prestwick for their World Festival of Flight, including a chance to "have a go" for 20 minute sorties. Not cheap - but then its a jet...

Lukesdad
28th Aug 2013, 16:33
I have recently had a flight in a Provost at North Weald.

Sorry, I can't help in any way, I just wanted to show off!

I'll go now..........

thing
28th Aug 2013, 16:41
Put him in the Hunter with Chris Heames, man is a legend; plus the Hunter is a little...faster...

Sir George Cayley
28th Aug 2013, 18:15
JP converts fuel into noise.

Hunter converts money into pleasure.

Nuff sed.

SGC

N707ZS
28th Aug 2013, 18:29
St Athan Wales might be a good starting point with the number of hunters and JPs in there, sorry no contact details.

modelman
29th Aug 2013, 08:00
Maybe a straight swap for a go in your F1 car;)

Unusual Attitude
29th Aug 2013, 11:20
If your going to fly a JP make it a Mk4 or 5, Mk3 is pretty gutless in comparison.

Hunter would be much better but probably more like £3-5k per hr Vs about £700-800 in a JP!

Are you now allowed to carry out fare paying passenger flights on these machines given they are operated on a Permit?, used to be severly frowned upon but I did hear something has changed. If so wouldnt you still need a CPL / FI rating to take fare paying passengers?

Regards

UA

foxmoth
29th Aug 2013, 15:49
Hunter would be much better but probably more like £3-5k per hr Vs about £700-800 in a JP!

Are you now allowed to carry out fare paying passenger flights on these machines given they are operated on a Permit?, used to be severly frowned upon but I did hear something has changed. If so wouldnt you still need a CPL / FI rating to take fare paying passengers?

I think the OP might just be able to afford the difference.

As far as fare paying pax goes, I think that is a no no, not saying this happens, it used to, but think it has been clamped down on now,but think what you have to do is find a friendly pilot who will take you for free, then buy him a very expensive beer afterwards, the other way was you used to make a donation to the rebuilding fund or something similar. In this case I think he should just buy the aircraft, do the flying he needs, then sell it to me for £50:ok:

mrangryofwarlingham
29th Aug 2013, 18:01
if you have the money, go for the hunter.

North Weald may be easy to get to....but you have to bimble about to the E or NE for a while before you can get some decent altitude.

CAP 632 used to be the relevant CAA bible on operating ex military planes on permits.
and this link gives an insight into CAA thinking

British CAA changes regulation of ex-military aircraft | Helihub - the Helicopter Industry Data Source (http://helihub.com/2010/08/16/british-caa-changes-regulation-of-ex-military-aircraft/)

of course - flights are permitted for the purpose of familiarisation if you are considering the purchase of a share in the aircraft.....

Pace
29th Aug 2013, 18:55
If it really is Jensen Button posting ? Which I doubt I flew your Dad around in a few races in a Citation !
Hunter is miles apart from a JP for an experience of a lifetime!
If you want the ultimate go for the lightning used to be a company in South Africa running one a few years back 0 to 40 K in no time and vertical

Pace

foxmoth
29th Aug 2013, 19:46
If you want the ultimate go for the lightning used to be a company in South Africa running one a few years back 0 to 40 K in no time and vertical

Pretty sure that was stopped after the accident - report made quite horrific reading! Glad to say that you should find the Hunters a little better maintained!

Lightning Mate
30th Aug 2013, 06:59
0 to 40 K in no time and vertical

I assure you the Lightning couldn't do that unless it was wound up to about 650 kts at low level and then zoom climbed.

Even then I doubt it would crack 40,000 ft.

Waiting for flak.......

Jenson Button
30th Aug 2013, 07:00
Thanks for all your replies folks,

It had occurred to me that it was going to be a tad difficult finding an operator who accepted contributions to the rebuilding fund of a Hunter. What with the Ministry of Aviation and their wisdom of making flying in the uk bleeding expensive. And I would rather keep on the sunny side of the legislation.

I'm afraid I am not Mr Button. Though i would quite happily fly him about if the job was going. I do however like Monaco, fast cars, money and sunshine.

All the best

JB

EDMJ
30th Aug 2013, 07:54
You can fly in a Hunter in Switzerland for cash; approx. €5300,- for 40 minutes:

Flugdaten und Preise für die Saison 2013 (http://www.swisshunterteam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=76)

thing
30th Aug 2013, 08:07
Even then I doubt it would crack 40,000 ft.

I remember sending a Lightning back to Binners from STCAAME with a snag about '86. Can't remember who was flying it now but it topped out at FL330 in two and a half minutes from brakes off in full reheat.

Max altitude I ever heard anyone getting one to was Dave Roome who got one to just over 88,000' over Singapore. That was obviously a run to Mach 2 at 40k and then about 15 degrees nose up until it topped out. Engines stayed lit too amazingly enough.

Lightning Mate
30th Aug 2013, 08:23
That was a 74 Sqn. F6.

thing
30th Aug 2013, 10:15
It was indeed.

By the way Chris Heames the Hunter jockey in the advert is ex Lightnings. Still has the same 'tash...:) I think Chris has just retired from the RAF at the grand old age of 63.

dirkdj
30th Aug 2013, 10:28
The Lightning seemed to be one of the first interceptors able to catch the U2 at 70+Kft. I just read "Remembering the Dragon Lady" and it is a fascinating story told by the people who were there at the time.

thing
30th Aug 2013, 11:17
PR9 Canberra could get up there too. Lightning wasn't actually straight and level at those sort of altitudes though.

emmccan
19th Jan 2014, 20:28
JP converts fuel into noise. Hunter converts money into pleasure.

Having converted onto both types im not sure thats true to be honest.

Both aircraft convert fuel into noise and both convert money into pleasure :ok:

Problem with the Hunter is the preflight prep/training can take a long time and cant be rushed but the biggest problem is below 10,000 feet (and no radar service) both are restricted to 250 knots and lets be honest low level is where you get a sense of speed so £3K v £500 for almost the same experience :rolleyes:

You also have to consider where the aircraft are based, anything down south and under a control zone has to spend a bit of flying time just to find some clear airspace for some aerobatics/fun, whereas "up north" theres nothing but free airspace and beautiful scenery :)

The choice is yours.

Anyone interested in a trail flight can contact us at anytime.

Regards
Neil