PDA

View Full Version : Engine cowl flaps Convair 240/340/440 series

Centaurus
26th Aug 2013, 07:54
Is it true the cowl flaps for the Convair 240 were set to open for take off and then adjusted to almost closed in the climb? Seems a bit dodgy as the drag would be significant. Did the CV 240 only have upper cowl flaps? Did Trans Australian Airlines modify their 240's to have a set of lower cowl flaps as well? What were the various settings available on the cowl flaps of the CV 240

The Convair 440 had one set of cowl flaps on top and another set underneath of the engine. What was the available cowl flap settings via cockpit switches. Presumably closed and open? But was there a specific setting for take off and climb?

barit1
27th Aug 2013, 00:33
Photos of the CV240 around the web appear to show only two cowl flaps at about 10:30 and 1:30 clock positions, although some photos show a hatch open about 5:00 - smaller than the upper doors.

And inflight the primary cooling system is via the ejector ducts, harnessing the engine exhaust to motivate the cooling airflow. Convair is one of the few companies that really made this work well.

I know this doesn't really address your questions - but it provides some context.

Proplinerman
27th Aug 2013, 06:42
"And inflight the primary cooling system is via the ejector ducts, harnessing the engine exhaust to motivate the cooling airflow. Convair is one of the few companies that really made this work well."

Very interesting, I never knew that. And is this the reason why the Convairliners had such unique exhaust ducts amongst pistonliners?

sycamore
27th Aug 2013, 11:54
Cent, from the Manual I still have,and 6hrs on 2 flights in CV440,
OPEN,for engine start; prolonged ground runs ,adjusted for cooling,then fully open to dissipate heat build-up, to protect ignition harnesses,and ceramic connections.
OPEN prior to shutdown , and set to MID for take-off.
There are also other Limitations in regard to Max CHT,depending on engine specific type,and operation in icing conditions .

royeddie
27th Aug 2013, 13:54
Along with Centaurus I started this, but for the historical record, the correct name of TAA was Trans-Australia Airlines.

Centaurus
28th Aug 2013, 13:24
Cent, from the Manual I still have

Thanks Sycamore. Was the information that you quoted, from a company published manual, or from the aircraft manufacturer's manual?

I ask that, because often there is a difference between the two manuals, as chief pilots of the day insert their own pet techniques into company manuals.

sycamore
28th Aug 2013, 15:59
Cent, manufacturers copy(ied) many times,1956 Convair Division,amended up to 1960,then later by the CAA in 1994( UK).Also applicable to CV340,subject to certain amendments.Max GWt 49700lbs for -440.

will send PM later..