PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Airport Spitfire

Stovies
22nd Aug 2013, 09:41
Does anyone else think that the spitfire is wrongly sited? It's on the inside of a lefthand bend as you drive towards the terminal building and I'm sure alot of people miss it as they look towards the control tower and the ter.inal building. Any thoughts?

DaveReidUK
22nd Aug 2013, 10:04
It's on the inside of a lefthand bend as you drive towards the terminal building and I'm sure alot of people miss itHas the road layout changed? It used to be on the outside of a righthand bend, and hard to miss:

Spitfire,Edinburgh Airport - YouTube

Though you could argue that, being a plastic replica unlike its sadly missed predecessor, it doesn't really matter where they stick it. :O

18greens
23rd Aug 2013, 16:48
I think I'd rather see a plastic plane on a stick than watch a real one rot away. At least it's still shiny and the canopy hasn't gone milky. Overall I think it looks good and hopefully the one it replaced is flying again...

Proplinerman
23rd Aug 2013, 17:42
I didn't even know it was there-and I parked in the car park four years ago, tho I didn't go into the airport; on my way to East Fortune. So future target.

DaveReidUK
23rd Aug 2013, 18:35
and hopefully the one it replaced is flying again...Not exactly.

Last known whereabouts (Dec 2012) in storage at the RAFM's reserve collection in Stafford, not accessible to the public:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=210130&d=1354489846

18greens
24th Aug 2013, 10:08
It's in much better condition than it would have been on that stick. Fill the tanks and it will be fly able again.

bcgallacher
25th Aug 2013, 08:03
The fiberglass replica Spitfire at Edinburgh has an unfortunate and readily seen flaw - the dihedral angle is all wrong and it spoils the whole appearance of the thing.

18greens
31st Aug 2013, 09:32
Ahh yes you are right, no dihedral. I alway thought it looked strange but could work out why.